PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if....

sandar
April 30th, 2009, 11:19
Anyone know if it is possible to use aircraft from the FS aircraft folder as scenery objects so they can be placed as static aircraft with a scenery placement tool like EZ-scenery or Runway12? If so how? I know it is possible to place parking spaces using 'Traffic Tools' and then create flight plans for the middle of the night, but I don't want to do that again.

The reason I am asking is because I want to place some historic and vintage aircraft as outdoor exhibits at aviation museums, eg Duxford, Coventry, Cosford, Elvington (all in the UK and within an hour's drive from me).

If there were vintage aircraft scenery objects I would use those, but as far as I know,there aren't any, are there?

Wing_Z
April 30th, 2009, 11:25
Absent further replies to the contrary...I've never seen this question answered in any other way than the TT route you describe.
They're more fun when they manage to get off the ground, in any event!

sandar
April 30th, 2009, 11:54
Absent further replies to the contrary...I've never seen this question answered in any other way than the TT route you describe.
They're more fun when they manage to get off the ground, in any event!

I have plenty of vintage stuff flying around the museum/air display airfields. I have even manged to get some of them flying in formation. I just want to add static exhibits as 'eye candy' with low frame rate hits in much the same way I have populated GA airfields with non flying, static aircraft.

Henry
April 30th, 2009, 12:32
There are some available
as api files also there are programs to convert them
Cees or Ian could point you in the right direction
its been a while since i did that
but yes it can be done
H

Henry
April 30th, 2009, 12:58
like this?
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/henrybaker/1-3.jpg
H

Tom Clayton
April 30th, 2009, 13:48
I've never done it, but from what I've read, the when developer compiles the 3D model, there's a choice between flyable and scenery somewhere. So a flyable model would need to be converted to a scenery object to work - I guess...

It would be nice to have a plane as a true scenery object, since when you're on multiplayer, all AI vanishes completely. But I understand that "X" keeps the AI when you connect to a multiplayer server...

Terry
April 30th, 2009, 14:43
I would like to find some too. I have searched long and hard and found lots of tubes and GA aircraft but no warbird objects. If anyone knows where to find some or how to make them please post.

grumpos
April 30th, 2009, 15:19
Years ago there used to be a program called MDLtoBGL that did the job in fs2000. It might still be possible to convert some older models to work in the sim, but if I remember correctly, the models had to have been built for fs98. Probably quicker to learn a modelling program and build some low poly models yourself.

Best wishes
Steve P

Henry
April 30th, 2009, 15:52
Years ago there used to be a program called MDLtoBGL that did the job in fs2000. It might still be possible to convert some older models to work in the sim, but if I remember correctly, the models had to have been built for fs98. Probably quicker to learn a modelling program and build some low poly models yourself.

Best wishes
Steve P
thats what i use
H

jhefner
April 30th, 2009, 16:21

Best wishes
Steve P

I wonder if you really want to convert some of the more recent, highly detailed models to scenery. For one thing, you are never close enough to see the detailing (unless you are about to run into it), for another, I would think they would cause a greater frame hit than most regular scenery. (Especially if they don't have a LOD model with fewer polys.)

I would think it would make more sense to convert some of the older models with fewer polys.

-James

sandar
April 30th, 2009, 22:38
If it is possible to use aircraft as scenery objects, I would have tried to find AI, or older models as newer, flyable models would have a bigger impact on frame rates.

Yes Henry, that is the sort of thing I want to do.

I tend to agree with Jhefner that scenery object are not usually closely scrutinised, so don't have to be of top quality.

From what I have read, it is possible to use api macros as scenery objects in FS9, but not in FSX, I just don't know what to do or how to do it, or where to find (if any exist) api's of the type I am after:kilroy:.

Using 'Traffic Tools' to create flight plans has too many problems for my liking. First is is frame rate heavy. Other problems are that for static aircraft on display at museums are not usually on the flight line, but behind barriers and fences, which sometimes means that crash detection has to be turned off. Then there is is the problem of suddenly getting a Boeing 737 where a Lancaster once stood. These are some of the problems I have encountered using ' TT' to place static aircraft, plus it take quite a long time to modify airfields and create flight plans and to get it right.

CG_1976
April 30th, 2009, 23:43
I believe you can convert the model to scenery. But you would need the source file and remove the animations. At least thats what I was told as im learning the FSDS 3.5 for scenery objects and trying to build a lite CG boat.

Matt Wynn
May 1st, 2009, 01:22
yeah i'm in that learning FSDS 3.5 stage, already got my own farm strip, well a farm with a bar anyway...:jump:

Henry
May 1st, 2009, 05:40
Yes Henry, that is the sort of thing I want to do.

From what I have read, it is possible to use api macros as scenery objects in FS9, but not in FSX, I just don't know what to do or how to do it, or where to find (if any exist) api's of the type I am after:kilroy:.

are you trying for fs9 or fsx?
there is a difference,
as far as api's go try simviation.com
ill see if i can find a direct link
here are some pages cfs2 api's work also
http://www.simviation.com/fsdesign_macros10.htm
H

sandar
May 1st, 2009, 06:13
Many thanks for the help Henry.

I have FS9 and quite happy to remain with it. It has taken me years to get it how I want it, notwithstanding having to delete and reload everything a couple of weeks ago. I have rid myself of most of my mistakes in the process of rebuilding FS9 to how I want it (still a long way to go).

My preference is for flying the old stuff, low and slow (just about sums me up that, old, low and slow), with the occasional early jet just for a change. I was taught to fly by a former RAF pilot who was one of the first 'jet jockey's, flying Meteor F3's who instructed me in fabric covered taildraggers such as Austers, Cubs, Tiger Moths etc.

Mickey D
May 1st, 2009, 09:25
Many thanks for the help Henry.

I have FS9 and quite happy to remain with it. It has taken me years to get it how I want it, notwithstanding having to delete and reload everything a couple of weeks ago. I have rid myself of most of my mistakes in the process of rebuilding FS9 to how I want it (still a long way to go).

My preference is for flying the old stuff, low and slow (just about sums me up that, old, low and slow), with the occasional early jet just for a change. I was taught to fly by a former RAF pilot who was one of the first 'jet jockey's, flying Meteor F3's who instructed me in fabric covered taildraggers such as Austers, Cubs, Tiger Moths etc.

There is a very effective way to place later models as AI and have them sit there all day. Put simply you make them all depart at midnight and return before first light. Lightning can tell you more, that's what he does for our Team SDB scenery when statics are needed.

fsafranek
May 1st, 2009, 10:09

Best wishes
Steve P
If you want to check it out with some older models here's the link:
http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/mdltobgl/id2.htm
:ernae:

Wing_Z
May 1st, 2009, 11:47
Well, SOH delivers again!
Be good to hear how this goes.
My previous experience with sceneries containing static a/c has not been at all good, I'd always thought parked AI did a much smoother job.

Henry
May 1st, 2009, 12:24
Well, SOH delivers again!
Be good to hear how this goes.
My previous experience with sceneries containing static a/c has not been at all good, I'd always thought parked AI did a much smoother job.
To me the problem with parked AI is you have to have them
a static aircraft is part of the scenery
just like a building
so its easily installed
and not having to get all the AI aircraft
because they would have to be in your aircraft folder
and would slow your system down loading more planes
H

sandar
May 1st, 2009, 13:28
As far as I am concerned, using TT to populate an aviation museum or air display is far too complicated. It may work OK for one or two statics but not for 20+ Also to use TT I would have to use either the quality flyable aircraft and take a hit on frame rates, or fill my aircraft folder up with AI only aircraft and slowing the loading process down.

I have populated many GA airfields and gliding clubs with EZ Scenery with 30+ aircraft with negligible hit on frame
rates.

I have downloaded the MDL2BGL program and a scasm program which is apparently also needed, but as yet I haven't been able to understand the instructions to work the thing.

It would be so much easier if there were scenery objects library for old aircraft (cough cough, hint hint).