PDA

View Full Version : Finding Airfields

Pips
April 28th, 2009, 21:42
What tricks or tools do most folks use to find airfields in an area one is not familiar with?

For example say I want to fly around Picardy in France, Calabria in Italy, or perhaps Andalusia in Spain. They're not area's I know well so I don't know much of the area, hence the appeal. I don't want major airports to fly out of (which is usually what Google provides), but rather smaller airfields.

Sadly the 'select airport' panel in FSX doesn't provide regions or provinces (with a correlation of cities or airports) for most European countries, just cities - a real oversight IMO given the importance of regions in Europe.

So any suggetions on how I would find smaller airfields in, say, Picardy would be most appreciated. :)

tigisfat
April 28th, 2009, 22:21
If the town's name is Picardy, you might do well by yourself to open the world tab, then go to airport and then search by city instead of by name of airfield. It will bring up every airfield in a given town.

Alternatively, if you want to look around a region, go to a larger airport in the area that you've heard of, then scroll around the map view until you find something suitable. Europe's pretty small, you can view all the airports there in a couple hours.

harleyman
April 29th, 2009, 02:01
Yup..I go to map view and move around and hunt what I'm looking for...Near the ocean...Mountains...Rivers...ETC

Henry
April 29th, 2009, 05:13
I use the map also
H

spotlope
April 29th, 2009, 06:03
It also helps tremendously if you can get your hands on some aviation charts for the area in which you're flying. Barring that, third-party flight planning software can also give you a much better idea of what airfields are in the area. One bonus is that your flights are more realistic. I doubt there are too many real-world pilots who take to the skies and go hunting for the next airport at which to land. It's all about planning and knowing where you are and where you are going. ;)

gera
April 29th, 2009, 06:11
go to "myairports.com"--------------most are there with a map!!:running:

jschall
April 29th, 2009, 06:17
I use Google Earth with the FSX Airfield overlay - it shows navaids as well as airfields:

http://www.flightsimworld.com/downloads/viewfile/1726.html

- Jeff

Tako_Kichi
April 29th, 2009, 08:11
I use Google Earth with the FSX Airfield overlay - it shows navaids as well as airfields:

http://www.flightsimworld.com/downloads/viewfile/1726.html
WOW!

Thanks for that link, I will find that very useful when planning my 'tours'. I have already completed a tour of all the FSX airfields in the UK and I am currently working my way through all the airfields in the province of British Columbia, Canada.

:applause::ernae::applause:

Pips
April 29th, 2009, 16:25
Thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciate them. I hadn't thought of using the 'inflight map', that's the most useful given it only shows what airports are actually modelled in the game. Which for the area's I'm interested in are mostly the larger commercial airports, rather than the smaller ones I like to fly out of.

But that's OK, just means I'll have to buy some add-on scenery for those area's. :)

Donkey
April 29th, 2009, 17:15
I like this site. Worth checking out. :)

http://www.aircraft-charter-world.com/index.htm