PDA

View Full Version : Final hours of the "Lady Be Good" and FS2004

jhefner
April 28th, 2009, 07:46
Apoligies in advance if this has been brought up before, but I thought it was neat; a study into the final hours of the B-24 bomber "Lady Be Good"; using A2A Simulations B-24D model and FS2004:

http://www.ladybegood.net/maps/simtests.htm

(It's old news; so I wasn't sure if this should be on the Newshawks forum instead.)

harrybasset
April 28th, 2009, 08:32
Slightly OT but there was a feature film based on this tragic episode. It involved War Graves staff searching for those missing, as they found each body the spirit was released and able to finally rest in peace. Each set of remains was found except one crew member and the searchers were about to call a halt leaving this last one unburied and doomed for eternity. He was able to finally get through and his remains were buried at last, it was a very moving film, does anyone recall the title?

chrisf36
April 28th, 2009, 09:02
It was called "Sole Survivor". It was made in 1970. I always liked that movie! It starred Vince Edwards, Richard Baseheart and William Shatner.
I thought it was a very moving tribute to the men of Lady Be Good.

Chris

harrybasset
April 28th, 2009, 09:37
Thanks for that info Chris. I watched the fil years ago expecting a load of hokum but I too found it very moving.

Mike

nightshade
April 28th, 2009, 14:16
I've got a personal connection to the LBG, My grandfather's cousin was Technical Sergeant Robert E. LaMotte, the radio operator.

falcon409
April 28th, 2009, 16:51
Back in 1966, I was stationed at Wheelus AFB, Tripoli Libya. One of the propellers from the Lady Be Good was mounted on a pedestal at the Main Gate and the Hospital had a long display case that ran the length of one hallway that was filled with remnants found at the crash site. The Chapel had a stained glass window in honor of the crew of the Lady Be Good, which I believe is now housed at Wright/Pat.

Odie
April 29th, 2009, 11:43
It was called "Sole Survivor". It was made in 1970. I always liked that movie! It starred Vince Edwards, Richard Baseheart and William Shatner.
I thought it was a very moving tribute to the men of Lady Be Good.

Chris

And written, I believe, by Rod Serling. Very haunting (no pun intended!) ending, too.