PDA

View Full Version : Crs re; mission origin

Fibber
April 27th, 2009, 18:39
Need help here.
Been trying to fly some missions concerning flying the TBD ( part of a series) from a carrier and attacking a cruiser, etc. The problem is the plane is always in the middle of the Flightdeck and perform enough to get airborne!
How do move the planes to the rear of the carrier. I remember that there was a add-on to do this but I can't find it. There is no accreditation in the files that I can find and I also can't seem to find the zip I got them from. Any idea?

Donald Piper
April 27th, 2009, 18:52
Try this on for size: open the carrier ship file -- then open the ship.cfg file. Drop down to the [Flight_deck_section] then drop down to the: take off_start=. Following this are 3 figures. Change the 3rd figure. Example: 0,21,-75 - change to 0,21,-90. Increase or decrease the last figure to increase or decrease position of aircraft on the deck...don

smg13
April 28th, 2009, 01:33
You know what I do when I start a mission and I am not in the perfect postion I need to be and I am not in the mood to spend 20 minutes editing files; I slew my plane into place.

Also, this works great in carriers. You can slew your plane as soon as mission starts into whatever parking spot you want it to be, and then start your mission and manuever yourself into place for take off. I see the slewing not as a "cheat" but rather as the deck crew moving my plane to position for take off, etc.....

If I knew how, I would do a mod whereby little crewmen appear by your plane, pushing and pulling when you press "Y" and go to slew, so when you are slewing it does feel even more as if you where being put in position for take off.... or I you are in the Army, a little truck appears pushing from your nose wheel... this would be such a cool looking mod!

Donald Piper
April 28th, 2009, 06:32
I never had a use for the slew mode before. I just gave it a whirl and it worked just fine once I got the hang of it. don

smg13
April 28th, 2009, 06:56
I use slew "very slowly" while I re-position my plane. It can be fun, a real treat to your imagination.... specially if you have a nice carrier model, or nice gls stuff for your airfield.

If you put on some background sounds of carrier deck operations like the ones in the briefing menu of IL-2 it is almost like the real thing. The only thing missing would be static planes in the carrier. Someone made them, but I haven't figure out how to put them on deck.

You have to watch out if you use RealityX... unless you put the g force limit very high, your plane will explode once you come out of slew.

Fibber
April 29th, 2009, 07:27
Used the slewing method and it does work good. Really looks good if the wings are folded during the transit. As far as the planes on deck. I think it was B-24guy who did them. I know Ti-Loup has a mission with them on deck with engines turning over. One even has a fire develop in it after a period of time..

bearcat241
April 29th, 2009, 10:06
The TBD's flight modeling is a little off (too underpowered and no flap lift like the real thing) and CFS2 carriers are a little undersized in reality scaling. If you've noticed the carrier takeoff positions in vintage aviation photos and video, you'll remember that planes seldom used the length of the deck to takeoff. Most takeoffs were achieved from mid-deck (near the superstructure) at full power, full flaps and a strong headwind as the ship sailed at 30+ knots into the wind. CFS2 will model the dynamic effect of headwind takeoffs if you build weather into the mission and set the carriers waypoints against the wind. I think the default wind always blows from the north when you activate wind in weather.

Going back to flap lift, the stockers don't have flap lift in their air files because AI don't land well on airstrips when you have realistic flap lift parameters in the *.air file. Even though AI don't animate flaps (the exception being the Hellcat as AI), having lift in the air file will affect their landing. To compensate, you can have a player-only model for every stocker you fly regularly and increase flap lift in record 1101, and in the aircraft.cfg increase the power scalar to 1.1 or 1.2.