PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Factory Corsair

krazycolin
April 21st, 2009, 16:03
We, here at Milviz, are very proud of the release of the Aircraft Factory F4U-1A/C/D. We'd like to thank all of those involved including our team of modelers (K and C), our gauge people (S and C) and our FM dude... (T).

Though not all elements made it into the final product, in the end, it's still a team effort and we're glad and proud to have been a part of it.

Once again, thanks for your hard work! And look for more work from us, Milviz, the suppliers of the best looking models on the market today!

As well, we hope all further releases under the Aircraft Factory label are as well produced and as well received as their inaugural contribution.

KC

N2056
April 21st, 2009, 16:11
Hey Colin (and team),
Congratulations on the release! It really looks good...which to me is a given when the Milviz name is associated with the model :ernae:

krazycolin
April 21st, 2009, 16:14
Hey Colin (and team),
Congratulations on the release! It really looks good...which to me is a given when the Milviz name is associated with the model :ernae:

Thanks much! we all appreciate it.

Many thanks go to Scott and his team as well, though that, of course, is a given.

Our model, when it got to them, did have some minor issues... but thankfully, they've all been resolved and the model looks great!

Rezabrya
April 21st, 2009, 16:19
Just bought it and I am definately glad to have a Corsair for FSX finally. One question though it where could I find the manual?

GT182
April 21st, 2009, 16:22
Yeah, it was a sweet bird to beta test. It's a must have and as always, A2A did a fine job. You won't go wrong getting this one.

krazycolin
April 21st, 2009, 16:23
Ask A2A for the manual... we just did the model and the paint job... :ernae:

RyanJames170
April 21st, 2009, 16:27
i have decited to put this aircraft on the list to buy just going to give it an month or two though need to get new monitor so i can enjoy this aircraft to its fullest

Good Job by the way

Rezabrya
April 21st, 2009, 16:27
Well in the other thread you said A2A wasn't the staff and that you were so, I thought I should ask you.

ColoKent
April 21st, 2009, 16:43
...he'll be off flying his new Corsair for DAYS!

Have fun, Pappy!

Kent

Tako_Kichi
April 21st, 2009, 16:43
One question though it where could I find the manual?
You should have an 'Aircraft Factory' item in your 'Start' menu list that leads to a shortcut for the manual. It can also be found in the 'x:\xx\FSX\Aircraft Factory\F4U Corsair' folder on your hard drive (obviously 'x:\xx\......' will be to a location on your computer somewhere).

stansdds
April 26th, 2009, 04:35
I'll have to check this out. I'm a Corsair nut and so far the only thing I've had in FSX that's been reasonably good is the old FS9 Alpha Blue Ceil F4U-7, ported to FSX by a group whose name I shall not mention, then given cfg changes and a new VC main panel by me.

Odie
April 26th, 2009, 05:13
We, here at Milviz, are very proud of the release of the Aircraft Factory F4U-1A/C/D. We'd like to thank all of those involved including our team of modelers (K and C), our gauge people (S and C) and our FM dude... (T).

Though not all elements made it into the final product, in the end, it's still a team effort and we're glad and proud to have been a part of it.

Once again, thanks for your hard work! And look for more work from us, Milviz, the suppliers of the best looking models on the market today!

As well, we hope all further releases under the Aircraft Factory label are as well produced and as well received as their inaugural contribution.

KC

And it is a fine debut aircraft ! I think this fills a much needed niche in the aircraft add-on world that offers good-looking models at a nice price. I think that there will always be a market for the both types of models in FS (those that have every system modeled where you need to sit with the manual in your lap and those that you can crank and fly and oggle at while you're flying). I tend to buy both depending on the depth that I want in a particular a/c.

Good eye-candy and easy on the pocket-book. Cheers to both Milviz and A2A for a great looking debut bird, but for the other aircraft that will spring from this partnership! :ernae:

Looking forward to the future.....

stansdds
April 26th, 2009, 14:36
Well, I've taken it for a quick spin around the airport. Ground handling is pretty easy with judicious use of rudder and brakes. Takeoff was fairly uneventful and the torque is controllable with plenty of right rudder. It flies well and landing, other than poor visibility over the nose, is pretty straightforward. So it seems to handle as I would expect a Corsair to handle. I've not flown it with one of my -1 series manuals in my lap, so I can't say it's completely faithful, but it did feel right. I did notice a 4 to 7 fps hit while on or near the ground in this aircraft. Above about 1000 feet I was running 23 to 24 fps and my system is locked at 24 fps.

There's quite a bit of variation in the cockpits of the real Corsairs and it looks like this offering uses a -1D cockpit as the basis for all three versions. It's nicely done, but not entirely accurate for the -1A or -1C. The -1C has gun arming switches for three guns per wing, the center switch should be blocked off. The -1A cockpit should not have the HVAR control box. The engine priming switch should be spring loaded, not a standard toggle switch.

Now for the really bad. The exterior model leaves a bit to be desired. There are some inaccuracies in the wing root air inlets. Only early -1A's had a landing light, all Corsairs through the -4 series had the three recognition lights under the starboard outer wing panel (never under the fuselage), the white section light on the -1 series should be on the upper surface of the starboard outer wing panel, the wing formation lights are present, but completely invisible until turned on, the light on the fuselage spine should be blue on wartime -1 series Corsairs. The tail wheel doors should open further, the -1C model still has three shell ejection ports and a .50 caliber muzzle port on the starboard wing. The main wheels are definitely F4U-7/post war replacements. The antenna wire running from the rudder to the forward mast is correct, the additional wire running from the rudder to the aft mast is incorrect. None of these models have the cockpit access step in the starboard side of the fuselage, but the -1C and -1D have the late war FG-1D type step cut into the inboard flap, but it's on the port side and this should have been on the starboard side!

All of this reminds me of the package put out by Aeroplane Heaven a few years ago. A great concept, but lots of little errors that should have been caught with a little more research and little more time making certain that the little errors were worked out.

In summary, I think I've got myself a nice -1D to fly around so long as I stay in the cockpit. I'll likely comment out the recognition lights, justify the landing light by saying it was added during restoration as a safety feature and perhaps some errors can be masked with some painting. Do I regret buying this package? Not really. I love Corsairs, I've studied them since 1977 and FSX doesn't have a -1 of any variety. Who knows, perhaps some of these errors will be addressed in a patch? Anyway, I'll be spending a lot more time in the -1D.

Rezabrya
April 26th, 2009, 14:44
I could be wrong but I didn't see anything about this in the manual. Is it true that you cannot drop the drop tanks?

Tako_Kichi
April 26th, 2009, 14:52
I could be wrong but I didn't see anything about this in the manual. Is it true that you cannot drop the drop tanks?
Page 13 of the manual shows the drop tank control switch located under the RPM gauge on the left side of the fascia panel.

PRB
April 26th, 2009, 15:06
stansdds, have you flown it with Fliger747's flight model, or the one it originally shipped with? I'm using Fliger's now and I like it. Not so much because I know enough about F4U handling to tell which is better, but because I know Tom (Fliger) put a lot of work into this, and I'm confident he did a good job with it. It's more of a hand full on take off, seems to trim a little bit better for level flight, and in the landing pattern, but also provides less visibility on final, due to the ships attittude, but that is also to be expected.

stansdds
April 26th, 2009, 15:58
I'm using the flight model that shipped with the Corsairs. Where might I find Fliger747's FM?

PRB
April 26th, 2009, 16:25
PM KrazyColin with an e-mail address...