PDA

View Full Version : Now Mr P., tell us it aint true !

dominique
April 21st, 2009, 09:25
A quote from an interesting if not slightly provocative op-ed (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/opinion/21kane.html) from the NYT

As we move toward a greater emphasis on rapid-response troops, the Army has tightened its physical fitness regime and the Marine Corps has introduced a physically grueling Combat Fitness Test for all members. Yet an Air Force study last year found that more than half of airmen and women were overweight and 12 percent were obese.

Not YOU, Mr P. :mixedsmi: I expect ?

Of course, the contributor is a Marine so he may be (somewhat) biaised (who knows ?) .

Panther_99FS
April 21st, 2009, 09:33
I can't comment too much since I don't have a big picture view.....You can read the below article though & make your own interpretations.....

As for me, I've scored 90% & above on my last 2 PT tests....:)

--> http://www.airforcetimes.com/community/opinion/airforce_editorial_pttest_011909/

Trans_23
April 21st, 2009, 09:35
I believe it. I saw a few obese airman and officers in my time in the IL ANG.
I often wondered how they passed the yearly fitness test. Oh right. The Air Force fitness test was pretty much a joke back then also.

huub vink
April 21st, 2009, 09:41
Well to be honest I have seen reasonable recent pictures from Mr P. I can assure you, he really can't be blamed of any overweight.

And about the story, are people here really so naive they believe the stories told by sailors?

Cheers,
Huub

dominique
April 21st, 2009, 09:52
As for me, I've scored 90% & above on my last 2 PT tests....:)

One airman at Barksdale Air Force Base, La., failed the PT test 12 times in a row without consequences. So it's not you :applause: !

What are these PT tests about ?

Panther_99FS
April 21st, 2009, 10:01
What are these PT tests about ?

They're actually similar to the Army tests. 1 min to do "x" amount of push-ups & sit-ups; then 1.5 mile run in "x" time....

Finally, there's a waist measurement...

"X" = Based on age & sex

Henry
April 21st, 2009, 10:16
Finally, there's a waist measurement...

Thats how you passed:wavey:
LOL
H

Kofschip
April 21st, 2009, 10:57
Congratulations on your score, P.:applause::applause::applause: I used to be able to pass the test too, but now I don't think my waistline will quite make it, in spite of my continueing excersize regime. I do spend too must time cooking.....

GT182
April 21st, 2009, 16:11
[SIZE=3]"X" = Based on age & sex

No Henry, it was based on the above. Panther's age and his love for body builders of the opposite sex. And he's done pretty good by that regime. ;)

Tho we might pick on ya a wee tad Panther, keep up the good work. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/Thumbup.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/sigpic336_1.gif

Panther_99FS
April 21st, 2009, 17:24
:icon_lol:...

tigisfat
April 21st, 2009, 22:11
Like anything else, the system is going to have errors, and it's only been around for a handful of years now. The ops tempo is high (there is a war going on), and it's not as simple as demanding and expecting physical fitness. We work 13 hour shifts filled with manual labor already, you can't just schedule time at the gym for these people and still expect them to sleep, eat and maintain families. You must make people WANT to be physically fit, so that they find time here and there to make it happen. As one of my squadron's physical training leaders, I take my role seriously....To that end I seek out those who've let their fitness and/or health slip and I try to become much like a personal trainer to them.

The USAF physical fitness program will get better. A test that more accurately gauges fitness is coming. Right now, I am 6 foot 4 with a 36" waist. I don't have a chance on getting a high score no matter what I run. Supposedly, that'll change too. Our test may very well become a 1/2 mile sprint instead of a mile and a half jog. GOOD!! I can recall times when I ran 5 miles 4 times a week, but would become winded climbing stairs. Distance running does not equal perfect fitness, and neither does having a skinny waist.

The USAF has been getting harassed about physical fitness forever by civilians and the other services. They think we're lazy and out of shape. Yes, we have unfit people and yes, we have fat people. By and large, we're looking pretty good these days though. My brother was an infantry officer, and I'm inclined to believe that my unit full of crew chiefs has less fat people than several of his units.

tigisfat
April 21st, 2009, 22:13
Thats how you passed:wavey:
LOL
H

That's no joke. Fit people will always pass the test, but one can ace the test in marginal shape if they have a 30" waist. I don't have a shot at acing it with my 36" waist. I don't feel bad for having it, I'm 6 foot 4.

Panther_99FS
April 22nd, 2009, 04:00
The ops tempo is high (there is a war going on), and it's not as simple as demanding and expecting physical fitness. We work 13 hour shifts filled with manual labor already, you can't just schedule time at the gym for these people and still expect them to sleep, eat and maintain families.

Not a valid excuse? Why?
1) The Army & Marines are at war & have a high ops tempo, yet they maintain their physical fitness standards.

2) I spent 9yrs in a flying squadron that was an HDLD asset (meaning very few flying platforms were deployed more than us) - our CC made sure we were in shape by allowing people to go to the gym when possible & holding PT sessions up to 5 times a week.

Panther_99FS
April 22nd, 2009, 04:09
That's no joke. Fit people will always pass the test, but one can ace the test in marginal shape if they have a 30" waist. I don't have a shot at acing it with my 36" waist. I don't feel bad for having it, I'm 6 foot 4.

No kidding!
You ever see a Marine (or Para-rescue) with a beer gut? - I doubt it.

That being said, the answer lies in the run. I've seen skinny people who can't run worth crap.

When a 45yr old runs faster than 18-25yr olds something is amiss....

And finally, for anyone who has a beer gut, can't run, and thinks the USAF PT test is bad, I'll be happy to arrange for them to take the USMC or Army test to help them out. :)

dominique
April 22nd, 2009, 09:49
Isn't the Internet a great thing or what :costumes: ? Now compare :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Physical_Fitness_Test_(APFT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Physical_Fitness_Test_%28APFT))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_Physical_Fitness_Test

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_Fitness_Test

and as cherry on the cake (or is it an olive in the martini ? not good for the waist in both cases)

APFT Calculator - Army Physical Fitness Test (http://apftcalculator.com/)

:running: (http://apftcalculator.com/)

tigisfat
April 22nd, 2009, 11:45
Not a valid excuse? Why?Sure, you're right. Commanders are supposed to make sure it happens. That won't happen as long as three star generals specifically tell us during numbered AF CC calls that flightline units don't have the luxury to schedule it in spite of the reg.

1) The Army & Marines are at war & have a high ops tempo, yet they maintain their physical fitness standards.

Because physical fitness is part of their duty day, and part of their primary job responsibilities. PT time has never once been part of my duty day, and I've never had a commander that didn't specifically tell us that PT was something to pursue on our own time. I also beg to offer that they aren't all in better shape than the USAF. Even given that, I think the USAF is doing alright, but we have a few (no pun intended) running corrections to make to our program. At home, the infantry and Marines (speaking from experience) most certainly do not have a high ops tempo, and the option is there to PT for 3 hours a day if they see fit (again, no pun intended).

2) I spent 9yrs in a flying squadron that was an HDLD asset (meaning very few flying platforms were deployed more than us) - our CC made sure we were in shape by allowing people to go to the gym when possible & holding PT sessions up to 5 times a week.

I have no doubt that your unit kicked butt, took names and got the job done, but I've never seen an ops squadron that didn't have time for PT.

I'm not whining or complaining about having to maintain my fitness, don't get me wrong. There are few thing I enjoy more than a good half hour run. It's just that I see the same troops in the gym and out on the sidewalks and tracks that I saw before there was a serious PT program; and it's on our own time like before. I don't waste time complaining about how non-flightline units get to work less and PT more because it's part of their schedule, I just accept it as the way it is and take my own butt to the gym. Not getting PT time has never been and never will be an excuse for being fat or failing the PT test.

tigisfat
April 22nd, 2009, 12:09
Here's my idea for an accurate PT test held over two days. I know it'd never get approved:

day one: 3 mile run. There will be no blistering speed requirements, only that a steady jogging pace be maintained for the entire run.
crunches. no time limit. You simply max out.
benchpress: 160lbs, ten reps.

day two: 1/2 mile sprint
wind sprints
1 mile mobility bag jog/power walk

This should accurately judge someone's fitness without going overboard and making it rediculous. The ability to accomplish these tasks to a standard should be good enough for a wrench turning monkey, right?

Henry
April 22nd, 2009, 12:21
I have a 30" waist but im as fit as a turtle out of water
I bet Panther has the same size waist
but i would not compare his fitness with mine,
as for a 3 mile run, a 3 mile bus trip wears me out:173go1:
H