PDA

View Full Version : B-29 /Fix for campaign?

Wyld45
April 18th, 2009, 22:04
Hey Gents,

While we all wait and watch Dr.Ickie like anxious and nervous relatives
outside "Surgery" in the waiting room,was there an "airbase" fix for the
B29? The one that works for the B17s doesnt seem to work for it in
campaign mode. Found a way to kinda cheat-it a little,but only works
on the first round. Otherwise it just keeps crashing and counts as a
"pilot kill" and campaign stops even when restarting with F7. Went to
search lastnight,...getting that, ERROR: Server Not Found...

... was kinda like Shang Sung yelling,

"FATALATY,...YOU LOSE!!!"

Daiwilletti
April 18th, 2009, 23:38
Hi Wyld45,

Are you in stock install, or ETO 1.2? I've found in ETO 1.2 there is a problem with the default UI screen location for aircraft at some airbases. In campaign mode, even my trusty ol' Beaufighter loses a wing up against the flagpole!! Hence no chance for a B-29 at all.

In QC mode its easier, because you can simply choose a bomber airbase to fly you B-29 from, rather than selecting a fighter airbase. In campaign mode you don't get the choise, and so a modified version of the airbase fix seems to be the only answer. Trouble is there are a gazillion airbases facility files in ETO. So if you are flying in ETO 1.20, the solution will involve more complicated editing of airbase facility files than in stock cfs3.

Bear in mind that in real life, not many WWII era airbases could have hosted B-29s....

Hope someone else can put their tuppence worth in..:wavey:

Wyld45
April 19th, 2009, 01:46
Thanks Daiwilletti,(lol,...had to back-track just to make sure I
spelled your handle right!) Well right now I have,(crappys,cant keep
track of all the versions!) I have the NEK first expansion for certain.

Yeah,the only thing I can think of that would really help then
I think is to locate one of the bigger bases,then transfer when I
can before I obtain the B-29.(I could be wrong).All bases dont
seem to be laid out the same.

Even if all that isnt the case,thats allright. Ive got the
B17s carrying the '29' payload! I just think the '29' is just
fun to fly! Thanks Dai, preciate your info! <S>

Daiwilletti
April 20th, 2009, 23:29
Gidday, here is an extract from a thread of Squiffy's. it may help you. This is Frosty, on November 17, 2006:

" The taxipath has two coordinate entries:

The first is the actual a/c location on the facility file, the second coordinate is any point in which' direction the nose of the aircraft should be pointing.
The way Mathias explained it in his gmax facility tut is by drawing the taxi path as a spline in gmax where one end of the spline (coordinate 1) is the a/c's position and the other end is the direction in which the a/c is standing (coordinate 2).

Maybe you can also see it as the hand of a clock: one end (center of clock) is the a/c's position, the tip of the hand (direction in which the hand is pointing) is the direction in which the a/c's nose is pointing. It doesn't matter how long this hand is (=tip of hand equals second coordinate) 'cause it will still point in the same direction.

The center of the facility tile is at 0,0m. So an aircraft standing at the center and pointing west (-x,y providing north is up) has taxipath coordinates of 0,0 & -1,0 (in fact, any negative value for x will do because the lenght of the spline, clockhand or vector (another analogy) doesn't change it's direction.
Hope this makes any sense..."

what I take from this is that if you want to edit some of the taxipath locations in the airbase facility files in your favorite instal, (backing up the facility files first), you can change the location of where the B-29 sits on the apron for a particular airbase type, in the UI. In the stock install I think there are about 9 airbase facility files which you would have to edit, in order to shift where the B-29 appears in UI so that it does not blow up by contacting a flagpole or a hangar.

You use Notepad or similar to edit the airbase facility xml files.

I wouldn't recommend you attempt it for ETO, 'cause there are so manu airbase facility files..

if you are really keen to solve the B-29 problem, I will tell you about a great facility editing tool that resides at the korean Skies site, which makes shifting things around in a facility file a breeze....