PDA

View Full Version : A2A P-47 questions

Wing Nut
April 18th, 2009, 15:39
When I deploy the flaps or gear on my P-47 it often takes two clicks to do the deed. This occurs when either raising or lowering. Also when lowering the flaps they move from 0 to fully deployed. There are no in between notches. Is this normal?

Kiwikat
April 18th, 2009, 15:48
When I deploy the flaps or gear on my P-47 it often takes two clicks to do the deed. This occurs when either raising or lowering. Also when lowering the flaps they move from 0 to fully deployed. There are no in between notches. Is this normal?

The flaps are fully adjustable. There are no notches per se. You click once to start lowering them. You can stop them at any time by pressing the raise button once. It's really quite cool actually :)

ICDP
April 18th, 2009, 15:53
Hi Wing Nut. The real P-47 had flap levers that were switched between up/neutral/down. In other words you put them to the down position to make the flaps lower, they will keep lowering until you return the lever to neutral. Likewise you put the lever to UP to raise the flaps and you can stop the flaps at any position by returning the lever to neutral.

The gear lever also has an up/neutral/lower position and work the same way. I have been caught out by this method on a few occasions, I would press the G key to lower the gear and was surprised to end up ditching.

Wing Nut
April 18th, 2009, 16:17
Thanks for the replys guys. It seems that info was omitted in the manual.

fliger747
April 18th, 2009, 19:32
Typically an up/down/ neutral gear lever does not work like the flaps. The gear does have limit switches and is normally fully lowered or raised. In flight the gear system is depressurized with the locks holding the gear in the up position. This avoids wear on the seals and avoids some loss of fluid in case of combat damage or other leakage.

T.

ROB
April 19th, 2009, 00:36
A2A P47 Razorback Pilot's manual: Chepter 12: Landing Flaps, page 62:

LANDING FLAPS OPERATION.
Move the control lever to UP to raise and to DOWN to lower landing gear. Hit the “F6” key to raise or
“F7” key to lower (or whatever button or key you have mapped to operate the flaps) . Hit the assigned
key or button again to stop the flaps (and return the lever to neutral)

regards
ROB

Cazzie
April 19th, 2009, 02:48
Fliger, you can assign keys or use the mouse workable flaops lever in the VC, which is what i do. FTR, anout the only time P-47s used flaps for take-off was from a carrier while transferring to Saipan. Even the manual tells you to use no flaps on take-off.

As far as a warplane simplane goes, the A2A P-47D is the winner in my book as the easiest to fly and control. If you fly it by the book, it will be nice to you. About the only trouble I have is the same as the real pilots had, it's hard as the dickens to see over that big, long snout when landing.

Caz

Odie
April 19th, 2009, 06:01
Speaking of the A2A P-47, mine leaves a trail of black smoke no matter how I do the fuel mixture....what am I doing wrong?

FAC257
April 19th, 2009, 06:31
Odie

Have you checked to make sure that "Enable-Automixture" is un-checked in the FSX Realism Menu?

FAC

Odie
April 19th, 2009, 06:37
Odie

Have you checked to make sure that "Enable-Automixture" is un-checked in the FSX Realism Menu?

FAC

Yessir, it is unchecked. This was my first flight in the Jugmiester and I had looked up in the manual the fuel mixture section and what setting to use when in flight/climbing/etc. So I thought I had it set correctly, but each flight, I have a trail of black smoke following me around.

Not very attractive, plus all the other pilots make fun of me in the Ready Room !

glennc
April 19th, 2009, 06:39
Odie,

What makes Accusim unhappy is in the book, too. I've screwed up that bad a couple times.

One thing to be careful is running at too high a power output for too long. Also, be careful with the turbo.

Glenn

Odie
April 19th, 2009, 07:23
Hey Glennc, I haven't got the accusim module...BUT, what you say about power makes me think that I'm a little throttle heavy...I'll give it a lighter touch and see if that'll help!

I usually go heavy during a climb to altitude, maybe that's the issue....