PDA

View Full Version : Need help,Lost the ability to add scenery

Buddha13
April 17th, 2009, 09:28
Hi all,
Just tried to add some new scenery to my install of FSX and found I cannot.
FSX seems to work alright in flight etc.But when I select the scenery I want to add and click OK it just opens the scenery folder selected.It just will not add it to the scenery file.I have tried deleting the FSX file in Appsdata/roaming and letting it rebuild itself with no joy.
If I delete a scenery file and restart FSX the deleted scenery is back in the list.The only thing I can think of is that the scenery cfg file has become read only.BUT I cannot find the right cfg file.Both the one in the main FSX folder and the one in the Appdata/roaming folder show only the default scenery files and not the add on ones.
Anybody got any ideas.

Buddha13

Roger
April 17th, 2009, 09:35
You're right:kilroy: I thought I knew the location of all the FsX files but clearly I don't:typing:

Henry
April 17th, 2009, 09:53
sadly ive never figured it out either
H

FAC257
April 17th, 2009, 10:05
Go in this direction:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

The scenery.cfg files in there are the working scenery files.

FAC

Buddha13
April 17th, 2009, 10:19
Hi all,
I am using Vista.I have found the Appdata/roaming/microsoft/fsx folder.The scenery cfg there is just the basic one that is in the main \fsx folder.No addons in it.All the addons I had previously installed all work OK.This data must be stored somewhere else as the addons are still listed in the scenery library.

Buddha13

Henry
April 17th, 2009, 10:40
i also am using vista
i tried a search still no go
H

Buddha13
April 17th, 2009, 11:15
Hi all,
I believe the problem started last night when I tried to install some FS9 scenery to see if it worked.FSX CTD straight away.Did not try to install anything else till today.

Buddha13

FAC257
April 17th, 2009, 11:24
Sorry about that. I keep forgetting about Vista. :)

That was the way to the files in XP.

FAC

SolarEagle
April 17th, 2009, 11:38
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=14851

Buddha13
April 19th, 2009, 11:22
Hi all,
Well I managed to fix it.I installed a piece of scenery with it's own installer.The BC Victoria by Don Grovestine, Jon Patch, and Holger Sandmann.This seemed to clear whatever the problem was and all is well again.

Buddha13

Martin
April 22nd, 2009, 23:28
Vista=C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg
XP=C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg

FSX has 3 scenery.cfg files but only this one is used by FSX when running. The one in the FSX main folder is the base installed one that is used to create your first scenery.cfg (or create a new one if you delete the one above). The one in your local appdata (appdata\roaming\....) is a leftover from earlier development and no longer used for anything.