PDA

View Full Version : Flattens To Stock Fields?

dvslats
April 14th, 2009, 04:01
Hey All, Been trying to get a handle on using Flatten Switches in the sim. I picked out Tsili Tsili for a practice area. After reading the Readme.rtf in the root folder, one thing I'm not sure about is Local= Since it is a stock runway, which folder should this point to? :ques:

[Area.XXX]
Title=Tsili Tsili Flatten
Local= ????
Remote=
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Layer=X
Flatten.0=420,S6 50.22,E146 20.54,S6 50.16,E146 21.72,S6 51.66,E146 21.74,S6 51.69,E146 20.61

:blind:

Rami
April 14th, 2009, 04:09
I think the local and area should be the same, shouldn't it?

rhumbaflappy
April 14th, 2009, 06:31
The flatten switches are a very crude way of producing a flat area.

It would be much better to make a SCASM Area16N flatten poly, to flatten precisely what you want flattened.

Dick

dvslats
April 15th, 2009, 01:25
The flatten switches are a very crude way of producing a flat area.

It would be much better to make a SCASM Area16N flatten poly, to flatten precisely what you want flattened.

Dick

Well, alrighty then. Been searching around the internet...a little bit confused, of the tools needed to produce a Area16N flatten poly, hardly any refer to CFS2 directly. That being the case would the ones for Fs2002 be compatible for this sim? If some one could provide a simple list I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks, Dv

rhumbaflappy
April 15th, 2009, 04:05
Hi Dv.

FSSC can make these flattens. What exactly do you need flattens for?

Dick

bearcat241
April 15th, 2009, 08:56
..one thing I'm not sure about is Local= Since it is a stock runway, which folder should this point to? :ques:

Local versus remote only applies to an actual scenery install, not a stand-alone flatten switch entry added apart from a site area entry.

Local refers to the scenery's location on the resident hard drive by its local path. Remote refers to running the scenery from a removable drive (CD) or remote drive on a network. You've probably noticed that little option box in the scenery installation dialog a hundred times and never wondered what it meant.

Rami
April 15th, 2009, 10:13
If someone would like to do me a favor, could someone please create some tightly-fitting flattens for Brunosk's Malta fields, version 2?

Jean Bomber
April 15th, 2009, 13:09
If someone would like to do me a favor, could someone please create some tightly-fitting flattens for Brunosk's Malta fields, version 2?
Hi Rami
The best thing to do for Malta would be a complete rebuilt of Malta islands, a version 2 with the vtp1 poly lines fixed and all the enhancement that we can do today ,various caostlines accurate landclass assignement and "tightly-fitting" flattens to fit with Brunosk's Malta scenery

JP

Rami
April 15th, 2009, 13:43
Jean bomber,

I'd much rather leave Malta the way it is. However, without flattens, the airbase bitmaps disappear in MB when the altitude changes.

Jean Bomber
April 15th, 2009, 15:12
Jean bomber,

I'd much rather leave Malta the way it is. However, without flattens, the airbase bitmaps disappear in MB when the altitude changes.

Hi Rami
Don't worry i've no time to release this version2

JP

dvslats
April 15th, 2009, 22:57
You've probably noticed that little option box in the scenery installation dialog a hundred times and never wondered what it meant.

Yea you are right BC, :icon_lol: never gave it a second thought. Thanks for clearing up the MS flatten method.

Hi Dv.

FSSC can make these flattens. What exactly do you need flattens for?

Dick

Well several years back I downloaded FSSC but at that time finding good examples of its use, for me was hard to come by. That was the reason for looking into the MS flatten method. After you brought it up in your post here, just recent searches brought up much more results then previous attempts. I'm going to load it again and see what becomes of it. Oh yea, the reason is a learning experiance. Just made a fresh stock install. Using Martin's GSL tools, it is stripped of all the stock infrastructure. Trees and structures. I'm repopulating it with the third party designs. The new install is for actually seeing what my changes look like. If it stinks, no big deal...delete. When an attemp was made at Tsili Tsili the only flat area to add infrastructure was the runway and a small space that borders it. Hence the flattens, and also this picture.
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/png/tsili-tsili/1944/tsili-tsili-5-12-44.html
Not even close to what MS had given us. After trying the MS flatten method I now see why it is not such a good way to accomplish this. It cuts into the terrain at unrealistic angles. Not happy with that. :eek: Nothing would make me more euphoric then to be able to create my own scenery. This would be my end goal. But one has to learn how to walk before running as the saying goes.
A long rant, but that's the reason.

bobhegf
April 15th, 2009, 23:34
dvslats, I use FSSC for all my scenery and to flaten an area.If you want a good paint program that is free try Pixia.That is the one I use and it does a good job.

dvslats
April 16th, 2009, 03:19
Thanks for that lead bobhegf but I already have PSP 7 through e-bay. Though it's older...the price was in my range. :whistle: Speaking of FSSC, which version of FSUIPC do you use? Found a v.3 at simviation. Would this be the one needed? Just trying to save some head aches. :d

rhumbaflappy
April 16th, 2009, 04:12
Hi Dv.

The ground doesn't need to be flattened to add GSL objects.

Dick

dvslats
April 16th, 2009, 15:59
Greets rhumbaflappy, I'm trying to have all four corners of the buildings resting on terra firma. Some show with a gap from ground to foundation on one side and others look as if they (for lack of a better explanation) were partially covered by a sandstorm in the Sahara. :kilroy: Trees and piers come out fine.

dvslats
April 16th, 2009, 21:18
Looks like a good tutorial to me... http://www.cfcforums.com/showthread.php?t=16125 ...nothing beats one that already has the blood sweat and tears included. :applause:

dvslats
June 8th, 2009, 07:44
Well Mr. rhumbaflappy and all, using the flattens in FSSC does give one greater options then the ol' flatten switches. Getting into this exceptional proggy and digging around its features....I see your point. :ernae: Got a picture of a very rough Tsili Tsili with the runways added. This is using the CFS2 stock mesh at the moment. Still need to re-download the new rhumba mesh...it went with my old hard drive.
Getting this far, looks like I'll have to make something of it now. ;)