PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Terrain Questions

mytincantruck
April 13th, 2009, 11:17
What does it do. is it worth buying and what else id needed

Brian_Gladden
April 13th, 2009, 12:25
Ultimate terrain is all new accurate coastlines, lakes, rivers, roads (I can find where my house is), landclass and other goodies. Well worth the price. When I reinstalled FS9, the first thing I installed with it was UT USA and AK/Canada.

First thing I bought for FSX was UT USA and Canada....

Brian

Maarten -
April 13th, 2009, 12:49
I agree with Brian. I have all three UT sceneries on my computer (USA, Alaska/Canada and Europe).

One of my criteria is the coastal line of the Ards Peninsula between Bangor and Donaghadee (near Belfast) in Northern Ireland. I know that region like the back of my hand and it has been featured (including 3 very small islands) in the Europe scenery very well.

Cheers,
Maarten

EMatheson
April 13th, 2009, 13:55
Agreed.
Just Buy It.

I did not think much of it before I bought it, I only knew it got rave reviews...
needless to say, I was astounded by the enormous improvement to FS...
and when combined with a good mesh...:faint:!!!

TomSteber
April 13th, 2009, 14:01
It is a MUST HAVE! Can't believe I went sooooooo long with out it.

Cazzie
April 13th, 2009, 15:36
What Tom said, a must have, the best payware scenery packages you can get for FS2004 or FSX. It'll make flying low and slow VFR all the more pleasurable. I have all three UTs for FS2004 and UTX US-Canada and UTX-Europe for FSX. You will not go wrong with this scenery upgrade to the default FS2004 or FSX.

Caz

Fnerg
April 13th, 2009, 15:40
I agree. It's the way FS2004 should look right out of the box. With Ground Environment Pro, and FS Genesis 38m mesh, your sim will look amazing. Then I recommend flying around British Columbia. Start at a little airport called Castlegar for some real nice scenery.

rich12545
April 13th, 2009, 16:26
I have all three and agree with everybody. You might want to get the genesis landclass for the entire US. It works with utusa. And there's a program called qualer, I'm sure I spelled it wrong but if you look at the ut forum you'll find a link. It places objects correctly that have moved due to the now accurate placement of everything.

mytincantruck
April 13th, 2009, 18:24
I already own Ground Environment Pro and Real Environment Pro as well. With all the feedback I just bought UT. I don't have any meshes so to speak. I guess thats the next step. One of my favorite spots is Seattle and the CRG Gorge Scenery. I love that area and fly there a ton. Just give me a de Havilland DHC2 Turbo Beaver MkIII and I am fine. I know there is a UT patch for it. Is there anything else you can reccommend to enhance UT and whats the best setup for UT.

rich12545
April 13th, 2009, 19:00
For mesh I recommend fsglobal2008. The whole world in lod9. That qualert (?) is really good to have. And there is a ut patch for Holger Sandmann's CRG. For ut you probably want to skip the residential streets/lights. And change the river bed from -10 to -3. Then do a search on flightsim and avsim for "ultimate terrain" and "ut." You will be amazed at the amount of stuff you will find that's been made to complement ut.

Fnerg
April 13th, 2009, 19:24
" And change the river bed from -10 to -3"

How would I do that and what does it do?

Cazzie
April 14th, 2009, 03:56
For FS2004 and FSX, I recommend FSGenesis mesh, if you have the space. In FS2004, FsGenesis has 38-meter DEM mesh for the US/Canada/Alaska and mexico, and 76-meter pesh for the rest of the world.

FSGenesis is still working on mesh for FSX, because it is already 38-meter DEM out-of-the-box. Currently they only have the continenta; US, which udes 9.6-meter (10-meter) DEM. One has to set his FSX Settings to show this.

Mesh is a super addition, but takes up more space than any add-on you can think of. If you'd like to test FSgenesis mesh before purchasing the DVDs, AvSim offers several in segements as freeware. Just type FSGenesis in the AvSim Search. FSGenesis mesh will work with FS2000, FS2002, or FS2004, be sure when installing that you direct it to the proper sim.

Caz

modelr
April 14th, 2009, 05:09
I have Ultimate Terrain Canada and USA, along with all FSGenesis products for both FS2004 and FSX. When I had to reinstall, the first and second things added after initial installs were the FSGenesis mesh and then Ultimate Terrain. The sim seems rather dull without them once you've experienced them. I count them as the most important add-ons made.

Terry
April 14th, 2009, 05:29
What is the difference between UT and Megascenery? I assume it's either or but not both at the same time.

modelr
April 14th, 2009, 05:40
What is the difference between UT and Megascenery? I assume it's either or but not both at the same time.

UT is the land/coastlines (including rivers and lakes) and roadways/railways, laid over the mesh, (the wireframe "terrain" shape.) Megascenery is the actual "scenery" you see when looking out the window. Megascenery is nearly photo realistic.

They are both used at the same time. Both products come with instructions on how to use together.

rich12545
April 14th, 2009, 06:26
" And change the river bed from -10 to -3"

How would I do that and what does it do?

It's in the config. Lower right hand. River beds aren't in so much of a canyon.

Cazzie
April 14th, 2009, 07:27
It's in the config. Lower right hand. River beds aren't in so much of a canyon.

I think you mean streams rich. I set mine originally at -1 and then finally decided to turn them off altogether and I think it looks much better. All of these were a uniform size and looked unreal, even though their placements were correct.

Caz

Odie
April 15th, 2009, 11:20
How is UT with frame-rates? I have UT waiting in the wings but haven't pulled the trigger.....yet. What I've seen is great, but was curious as to the framerate impact (if any).

Cazzie
April 15th, 2009, 11:37
How is UT with frame-rates? I have UT waiting in the wings but haven't pulled the trigger.....yet. What I've seen is great, but was curious as to the framerate impact (if any).

You will not even notice a difference Odie.

Caz

mytincantruck
April 16th, 2009, 06:52
Well I have UT but I need to reinstall FS9 gotta scenery glitch that needs fixin. but thanks a ton for the help and info

Matt Wynn
April 16th, 2009, 07:48
Departing Default KLAX in an A380 with UT.... oh at dusk. ignore my ground lights am working on them :D
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/byeKLAXhereicomeLFBO.jpg

minuteman10
April 16th, 2009, 16:09
Hey guys...the FSGenesis FS9 media bundle is on sale at the site (around $32). It is the whole ball of wax and includes the downloadable Land class. Just type "Spring" into the coupon window at the 2nd checkout window for 20% off...
http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc :woot: