PDA

View Full Version : New VTOL for Alphasim V22 Osprey

rcbarend
April 12th, 2009, 17:22
Hi guys,

For those of you that own the Alphasim V22-Osprey and are using my freeware VTOL addon for it (file rcbvca11.zip):
I have "ported" the latest VTOL version I created for Wilco's Tiltrotor (V1.3) to this V22.

Meaning:
- Accurate "groundsteering" now also works on moving aircraft carriers.
- Implementation of the new TCL (Thrust Control Lever) control, where, in "helicopter-mode", you control propeller pitch at constant engine RPM; giving a much more accurate V/S control during VTOL operation (eliminating the engines spoolup/down effect).
- Includes simulation of ground- and high-altitude effect on VTOL.
- Plus an AltHold function for fixed-altitude hovering.

Will be released shortly.
As freeware of course :wave:

:ernae: Rob Barendregt

warchild
April 12th, 2009, 17:56
Bob, your an angel.. thank you. getting real tired of running these planes down the runwy like a fixed wing..

Lionheart
April 12th, 2009, 18:05
Thanks Rob!

So, thats the actual change. I didnt know it was related to actual Helo controls. Brilliant. I had alot of rough landings in the earlier VTOL Tiltrotor from spooling times. I didnt realise the new ones are now using prop pitch or Cyclic.

Very cool.

Bill

rcbarend
April 12th, 2009, 18:54
Thanks Rob!

So, thats the actual change. I didnt know it was related to actual Helo controls. Brilliant. I had alot of rough landings in the earlier VTOL Tiltrotor from spooling times. I didnt realise the new ones are now using prop pitch or Cyclic.

Very cool.

Bill
Yep, it keeps gettng better and better .....

Although I must admit that the Tiltrotor is still my favorite for this type of aircraft.
If only for the outstanding job that Bazzar did on the animation of the nacelles. I'll bet you that most Tiltrotor owners haven't even noticed the unique nacelles/proprotor/propblade pitch animation of this aircraft.
Not only do the nacelles move from horizontal to vertical (as all models of this type), but (when vertical) the visual proprotors even move fore/aft and sideways with the stick. Just like the real thing ..

:ernae: Rob

Lionheart
April 12th, 2009, 21:41
Yep, it keeps gettng better and better .....

Although I must admit that the Tiltrotor is still my favorite for this type of aircraft.
If only for the outstanding job that Bazzar did on the animation of the nacelles. I'll bet you that most Tiltrotor owners haven't even noticed the unique nacelles/proprotor/propblade pitch animation of this aircraft.
Not only do the nacelles move from horizontal to vertical (as all models of this type), but (when vertical) the visual proprotors even move fore/aft and sideways with the stick. Just like the real thing ..

:ernae: Rob

I didnt notice that.. Most impressive.

I had wondered how they performed those manuvers with the nacelles without a tail rotor. Last year, I had watched a ton of videos on the Tiltrotor on YouTube and didnt even notice this on the real ones..

arrghh..

Bill

tigisfat
April 13th, 2009, 02:01
I just noticed that you can tilt the rotors all the way forward on the ground with the AS osprey without drama. There is no way you could do this in real life. It's been modelled wrong, or liberties were taken.

deathfromafar
April 13th, 2009, 02:22
On any given day, I see V-22's overhead. I live not too far from where they are based it MCAS New River. We get to watch them do their thing out here a lot. Quiet as hell in horizontal mode, LOUD as HELL in vertical mode!

d0mokun
April 13th, 2009, 02:40
I just noticed that you can tilt the rotors all the way forward on the ground with the AS osprey without drama. There is no way you could do this in real life. It's been modelled wrong, or liberties were taken.

Two reasons I think- eins is that it's a 3 or 4 year old model iirc, zwei is that they are just tied to flaps, nothing special.

Nick C
April 13th, 2009, 02:44
Worth pulling that bird out of retirement then, thanks Rob. :applause::applause::applause:

IanP
April 13th, 2009, 02:45
You can do that on every tilt rotor that exists, if it uses flaps to control the blades... unless it has one of Rob's hover gauges included, which prevents it happening. ;)

Ferry_vO
April 13th, 2009, 02:57
Thanks Rob, for yet another magic 'trick' ..!

:applause:

tigisfat
April 13th, 2009, 12:51
That'd be a cool aircraft for someone to do in FSX. The airframe sure has matured since then. Is it possible to do a tilt-rotor and have it fly right in FSX/acceleration?

FlameOut
April 13th, 2009, 14:28
That's great to hear Rob, thank you. :jump:

I remember putting in your last guage for the ol' V-22 and it left me with only "one prop turning" and there was a solution for it posted on the old Alphasim Forum before it was closed down, and dang I can't remember for the life of me how it was fixed. :caked:

I'll do a clean reinstall of her when your new gauge comes out. :applause:

Nick C
April 13th, 2009, 15:16
Is it possible to do a tilt-rotor and have it fly right in FSX/acceleration?

Isn't that what Rob is providing here for free, hence the purpose of this post?

Lionheart
April 13th, 2009, 22:50
Rob,

Do you think this would work for a Vanship?

:d

Bill

tigisfat
April 14th, 2009, 06:19
Isn't that what Rob is providing here for free, hence the purpose of this post?

no, not at all. It doesn't appear that he is providing a free tilt-rotor for here in the slightest bit. His original post clearly says: "FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT OWN THE ALPHASIM V22". To me, that means that you must, and I quote, already "OWN THE ALPHASIM V22".

This is cool however, and it makes me want to buy the Alphasim V-22. LIke I said before though, I'm still hoping for an all new one with all the features we've come to take for granted in the last year or so.

IanP
April 14th, 2009, 08:02
You never said that you wanted it to be free, just done and flying right in FSX/Accel. ;)

The Alphasim V-22 Osprey is FSX native and can be installed with an add-on gauge from Rob that makes it fly pretty similarly to the way it should. The gauge being discussed here - which will update it to fly the way the (FSX native) Wilco BA609 tiltrotor now does - will make it more realistic still.

So there already are at least two tiltrotors that can take off and land vertically and fly like an aircraft between airports. Exactly as you requested.

Are either of them free? No. But they are for FSX and they are available. Many thanks to Rob for making this possible. :)