PDA

View Full Version : Problem running FS2004 on a widescreen monitor

Odie
April 11th, 2009, 20:04
Hello all,

I've got a Dell s2409W widescreen monitor and I'm having an issue with running FS2004 and using it.

When I setup the monitor, the desktop was filling the entire screen which caused any wallpaper I had to be stretched and distorted. I went into the nVidia GTX 285 control panel and set the option to allow it to use nvidia scaling.

This fixed the desktop image distortion, but when I start FS2004, the opening screen comes up as normal, but when it gets to the create a flight screen, the entire display begins to flash rapidly (the whole screen).

In-between flashes I can see the FS2004 create a flight screen but it has no aircraft showing in the preview screen, just black. Unfortunately, I can't do anything except bring up task manager and restart.

I went back into the nVidia control panel thinking that it may be the scaling that was causing a problem and set it back to default (use device's scaling) and it did the same thing.

I even tried the "no scaling" option, but got the same results. At least it's consistent !

I'm beginning to think it's not the scaling, but maybe something else. I'm using nHancer to set the AA/AF (works okay on the CRT monitor).

Has anyone ever encountered this before with a widescreen monitor? I sitll have my NEC 21 incher CRT, but would like to use the widescreen. I would hate to see it relegated to use on my Internet PC.

Dell 24" s2409w
nVidia GTX 285 one gig
Vista 64

Any help will be much appreciate.

Slund
April 11th, 2009, 20:15
I'm the last one who should be giving out advice but here it goes. :woot:After flight sim starts alt/enter into windows mode (if you can) and see if that settles things down, if that works you can then go into your settings and select a widescreen resolution for flight sim?

kurt190
April 12th, 2009, 00:16
Have you set the correct screen resolution in Windows? For the Dell s2409W the native resolution of the monitor is 1920 x 1080. Right click on the Desktop select NVidia control panel, then go to Change Resolution - in section 1. there shoiuld be a small picture of a monitor with Dell s2409W beneath it.
Section is where the resolution is set - you need to make sure yours is set to 1920 X 1080
Section3 - set to Highest
Then go to Flat Panel Scaling and set it to Use my displays built in-scaling

Apply

You also may need to set the resolution in Flight Sim.
Hope this helps

kurt

PS If you can't see the monitor type is section 1. you may need to reinstall drivers for the monitor.

Odie
April 12th, 2009, 08:12
Hey Slund & kurt190,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated !

The resolution is set in Vista at the monitor's native resolution and I do see the monitor set as the Dell in the nVidia Control panel section. I can select any of the scaling options in the control panel with no problem.

I can't set the resolution in FS2004 due to the flashing of the screen when the Create a Flight Screen appears after the opening screen (which appears normal - no flashing).

What would cause it to flash like that when it gets to the Create a Flight screen with the aircraft preview screen black...? I mean, up until that point, FS2004 behaves normally. I switch it back to the CRT and it's fine.

This is vexing to me as I've been all over the 'Net and folks aren't having an issue running FS2004 on widescreens...:help:

Terry
April 12th, 2009, 08:25
There are two cables on a Dell monitor, the standard video cable and a USB cable. Do you have the USB cable hooked up?

Cazzie
April 12th, 2009, 08:28
Hey Slund & kurt190,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated !

The resolution is set in Vista at the monitor's native resolution and I do see the monitor set as the Dell in the nVidia Control panel section. I can select any of the scaling options in the control panel with no problem.

I can't set the resolution in FS2004 due to the flashing of the screen when the Create a Flight Screen appears after the opening screen (which appears normal - no flashing).

What would cause it to flash like that when it gets to the Create a Flight screen with the aircraft preview screen black...? I mean, up until that point, FS2004 behaves normally. I switch it back to the CRT and it's fine.

This is vexing to me as I've been all over the 'Net and folks aren't having an issue running FS2004 on widescreens...:help:

Odie, have you tried setting the display from the FS9.cfg?

Open your FS9.cfg and look for display and see what is shown, then type in your native display resolution and save.

Look for this section:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT .0]
Mode=1920x1200x32
TriLinear=1
AntiAlias=1

Caz

Odie
April 12th, 2009, 09:17
Hey Cazzie, that did it! Once FS9 had the 1920x1080 resolution, it came up just as pretty as you please! :amen:

Just for good measure I fired up FSX and it came up normal but I did change its resolution to the monitor's native resolution and took the CH FW190 up for a flight....:faint:

It's beautiful !

Terry - I double-checked the cables, too. I'm good.

Again, thanks to everyone, I'm in widescreen wonderment mode now!

Just proof-positive that SOH members are among the best in the flightsim world ! :applause::applause::applause: