PDA

View Full Version : Rohan, you were right...

Rami
April 11th, 2009, 09:54
Rohan,

I think I found the source of your confusion. I made a mistake in the readme.

This is what I wrote in the readme:

Now, this is very important…the texture files from your SCENEDB\WORLD\TEXTURE folder must be moved to the cfs2_eurw_LC_su_BETA4 folder, leaving you with nothing in your SCENEDB\WORLD\TEXTURE folder.

What I meant was this:

Now, this is very important…the texture files from your SCENEDB\WORLD\TEXTURE folder must be moved to the TEXTURE folder in the CFS2 main, or root folder. This leaves you with nothing in your SCENEDB\WORLD\TEXTURE folder.

How I managed to make that mistake, I'll never know. :kilroy:

That explains the whole "bloches" thing, because as I said in the e-mail, if CFS2 doesn't find textures in the scenedb\world\texture folder, it will look in the texture folder of the main, or root, CFS2 TEXTURE folder. Since you didn't move the textures there, due to my writing mistake, there was no place for CFS2 to look for the textures.

Sorry! :redf:

rohan
April 12th, 2009, 09:16
Rami,
thanks very much for taking another look at the problem. The main thing is that a mistake was made but has been found and, more importantly, the updated method does actually work. Now, sorry but I have to ask, can someone please tell me why it's necessary to move (or copy) the textures from scenedb\world\texture to texture, or to put it another way, why does it not work if you have the files in a layer in your scenery.cfg ?

Part of the reason for asking is that I'm now looking at alternative textures for the different seasons for my ETO install, and want to know whether I will need to put the alternative files in texture or in a scenery.cfg layer. As noted by the authors in their various readme files, some use one location while others use the other; some say copy the files to texture; others say move. I could waste an awful lot of time going through the various combinations here ... and the logical choice isn't necessarily the correct one,
regs,
Ro
:ernae:

Rami
April 12th, 2009, 09:24
Rohan,

As I stated above, the default place CFS2 looks for scenery texture files is in the scenedb\world\texture folder.
If it does not find the textures there, it will look in the TEXTURE folder, found in the root, or "main" CFS2 folder. Not having ground textures in either of those two locations will produce the "blotches."

Now, the specific reason for having to move them from the world\texture folder to the root (main)\texture folder has to do with the way Sander set up his scenery files. His landclass provides textures for his area of Europe, and having textures underneath that would cause interference problems.

If you have a different set of textures you'd like to use, place your textures in the su_BETA4\texture folder and the root (main)\texture folder, that way you'll have continuity wherever you go.

rohan
April 13th, 2009, 00:32
OK, ta muchly for that - at least that way I also know that it IS the alternative textures that I'm seeing when I fly ...

:ernae:

Ettico
April 13th, 2009, 11:09
Rami, I have to slightly disagree - assuming I understand what I'm disagreeing about.

If you have Sander's Global Excludes and landclass at the correct priority levels (meaning the ones I'm using), then only Sander's landclass textures will appear inside the excluded area. Meanwhile, textures present in the scenedb/world/texture folder will appear when called by the stock CFS2 landclass BGL's, if and only if not inside Sander's exclude area.

All of which means that seasonal textures inside Sander's ETO are no problem at all. All you need is 4 appropriately named copies of Sander's LC folder installed, each with an appropriate set of seasonal textures. Then it's just a matter of activating the appropriate seasonal LC folder and making sure all the others are deactivated.

However, I do seem to recall having a problem in Sander's ETO when the scenedb/world/textures contents were not also in the CFS2/textures folder. So I have the scenedb/world/textures contents in both folders. If I recall correctly, that made the problem disappear.

Anyway, I don't have any conflicts between Sander's LC BGL's and the CFS2 LC BGL's. I'm sure if anybody has a conflict, it's just a matter of priority settings.

Rami
April 13th, 2009, 11:48
Ettico,

I copied Sander's textures into my World (ETO)\scenery\texutre folder, and then copied those into my root\texture folder for all my ETO-based sims. That way, Europe looks the same no matter where I go...from the Iberian Peninsula to Lappland. It's the way I run my ship. Plus, the mix of Sander's desert textures and Achim's North African bases are so close that I need to be very precise in my navigation.

It makes for cool viewings on Malta, too!

The only downside is outside of Sander's landclass area, I get some farms on the tops of hillsides, but I can live with that.