PDA

View Full Version : VVS skins for Tango's A-20 Havoc!

Rami
April 11th, 2009, 09:30
To all,

Morton has uploaded a couple of very nice skins for Tango's A-20 Havoc.

Included is a wonderful 2d panel that I'm guessing might have had some inspiration from a panel image I sent him. http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=186

Here is the links to his skins: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=13988

Morton, thank you so very much! :friday:

gedm
April 11th, 2009, 20:21
Thanks for the H/U Rami and thanks to Morton for the steller skins! :ernae:

Morton
April 12th, 2009, 10:17
My pleasure guys.
It's a very nice A20G model allthough some peculiar texture mapping issues makes more intricate camo textures hard to get right. So "one color" skins looks best on this one.

Mort

Oglivie
April 12th, 2009, 10:31
Thanks Morton! Very nice work!
:ernae:
Cheers,
O

PSULLYKEYS
April 12th, 2009, 16:59
Super Morton! Thanks!:woot:

Ravenna
April 14th, 2009, 16:02
Beautiful skins and I just love that panel. Thanks Morton!!
:applause::applause::applause:

Tango_Romeo
April 16th, 2009, 19:53
It's a very nice A20G model allthough some peculiar texture mapping issues makes more intricate camo textures hard to get right. So "one color" skins looks best on this one.

Huh? :faint:

Nice job on the texture and panel, BTW. :engel016:

Now get back to work....you still owe us a few more skins to fulfill your commitment. :jump: :costumes::costumes:

watchdog22
April 16th, 2009, 22:41
I think Morton is referring to the skewing of the flap and aileron textures, a similar problem occurs with the B-25's. I tried doing repaints using my own templates but could not get around the problems so gave up. I love both the planes and fly them a lot but I cant repaint them to my satisfaction, call me quirky :kilroy:

Ravenna
April 17th, 2009, 00:52
call me quirky :kilroy:

I thought that was just your clan name!:costumes:

Morton
April 17th, 2009, 03:24
WatchDog:
I think Morton is referring to the skewing of the flap and aileron textures, a similar problem occurs with the B-25's. I tried doing repaints using my own templates but could not get around the problems so gave up. I love both the planes and fly them a lot but I cant repaint them to my satisfaction, call me quirky

That's right Watchdog22. Other minor problems is f.ex the mapping of the cockpit roof door. One of the engine sides has no unique texture. Also the right and left fuselage texture are not scaled identically.This adds some problems for painters allthough i can live with that.

Otherwise this Havoc wears it's clothes beautifully.:ernae:

Mort

Skipsan
April 17th, 2009, 06:33
Is there a fix for the mp gage? It pegs out and stays there for the duration of the flight :help:

BZ to all for your hared work on the aircraft, panel and paint work:woot::woot:

Skipsan:kilroy:

Tango_Romeo
April 17th, 2009, 14:26
That's right Watchdog22. Other minor problems is f.ex the mapping of the cockpit roof door. One of the engine sides has no unique texture. Also the right and left fuselage texture are not scaled identically.This adds some problems for painters allthough i can live with that.

Otherwise this Havoc wears it's clothes beautifully.:ernae: Mort

...strange, as I mapped the mdl file for easy repainting and Sopwith provided blank templates. We can't find any skewing on the ailerons or flaps....in fact, the entire wing, flaps and ailerons are mapped as a single unit to prevent that problem. :isadizzy:

We went to a lot of trouble in an attempt to make repainting easy (including remapping the B-25 mdl), but sadly it all seems to have been a waste. :faint:

At any rate, I appreciate everyone pointing out the problems. And we'll know better than to try this whole repaint thing on future projects. And as long as Sopwith can continue to make sense of my mapping, the planes will have decent threads. :wave:

Sopwith Chameleon
April 17th, 2009, 15:16
At any rate, I appreciate everyone pointing out the problems. And we'll know better than to try this whole repaint thing on future projects. And as long as Sopwith can continue to make sense of my mapping, the planes will have decent threads. :wave:

I really like painting Tango's planes ........

Guess I'll just keep 'em for myself ........

AGAS 5
April 17th, 2009, 17:30
hehehe.... love the nose art on that A 20 mate :d

SC, please keep sharing..... I always look fwd to your work :ernae:

Tango, I thought it must of been mapped to someones template.... it's very close (a poopteenth difference) to the Alphasim A-20.... and I think that's a very smart thing to do. Gramps used to do the same on some models (eg FDG2 P40 >>> CFS3 P40).

It's always a difficult thing (for me at least) to discuss openly things that might need adjustment.... I'm certain the intent is always meant to be the best... but after you've just spent a stack of hrs/days/weeks on a labor of love and are proud of the achievement, it can just feel.... I dunno.... disappointing I guess.

Thank you gentlemen.... my shout next time your downunder

Pete

PS the only reason I haven't painted her up is because of Morton and SC's terrific artwork.... I can't see me being able to improve upon them.....

Sopwith Chameleon
April 18th, 2009, 16:14
hehehe.... love the nose art on that A 20 mate :d

SC, please keep sharing..... I always look fwd to your work :ernae:

Tango, I thought it must of been mapped to someones template.... it's very close (a poopteenth difference) to the Alphasim A-20.... and I think that's a very smart thing to do. Gramps used to do the same on some models (eg FDG2 P40 >>> CFS3 P40).

It's always a difficult thing (for me at least) to discuss openly things that might need adjustment.... I'm certain the intent is always meant to be the best... but after you've just spent a stack of hrs/days/weeks on a labor of love and are proud of the achievement, it can just feel.... I dunno.... disappointing I guess.

Thank you gentlemen.... my shout next time your downunder

Pete

PS the only reason I haven't painted her up is because of Morton and SC's terrific artwork.... I can't see me being able to improve upon them.....

Well, thank you kindly - may I return the compliment :applause::applause::applause:

You're right - we used the AS Havoc for the template - as to the negative comments, we are getting kinda used to it - but what the heck - we just doing the best we can, and if you can't please all of the people all of the time - its nice to know that someone appreciates it :jump:

Thanks,

Jim

Tango_Romeo
April 19th, 2009, 06:08
...I was just getting motivated to finish the A-20J glass-nose and B-25J solid-nose projects. All these negative vibes! Bummer! :kilroy:

The sad thing is that almiost any repaint problem can be solved with a simple email or PM message.:173go1:

Rami
April 19th, 2009, 06:40
No need to delay. Your work is always appreciated by me. :ernae:

Morton
April 19th, 2009, 12:28
...strange, as I mapped the mdl file for easy repainting and Sopwith provided blank templates. We can't find any skewing on the ailerons or flaps....in fact, the entire wing, flaps and ailerons are mapped as a single unit to prevent that problem. :isadizzy:

Tango, i really dont understand. If this is so, you must have a different MDL than me.?? Are you sure you uploaded your final and right mdl?
Should be easy to test: If my (or any others) A20 textures looks different on your model, then we dont use the same MDL. Period. :ernae: Meanwhile, back to work on a couple of more textures.

cheers
Morton

Tango_Romeo
April 20th, 2009, 06:05
Tango, i really dont understand. If this is so, you must have a different MDL than me.?? Are you sure you uploaded your final and right mdl? Should be easy to test: If my (or any others) A20 textures looks different on your model, then we dont use the same MDL.

... I try to be a little more careful than that. :wiggle:

This may be difficult to understand for repainters who do not do design work, but there are complications with texture-mapping that have yet to be explained satisfactorily...particularly in complex model files. At any rate, Sopwith and I have tried several options during the B-25/A-20 projects, including texturing individual parts, and gang-texturing parts....and have even had to resort to individual polygon-texturing and the use of Smoothing Groups to correct some issues.

No matter what we do, someone is complaining that he is having a problem. Of course, what constitutes an insoluble problem for one person, can be corrected with a minor adjustment by another. What can I say? At this point, I have no overall solution to offer for your difficulties. :kilroy:

Skipsan
April 20th, 2009, 06:25
TR by happenstance I've done a R-2600-A5B air file. Plugged the numbers into the A20G air file and she seams about right for a DB-7/A20G. As I looked though a/c specs the air speed seamed to be jumbled a bite by the writers. I would opt to confusion between in-house and export models/Pwr plants installed on the a/c.

If you would like to give the air file a try let me know.

Skipsan:kilroy:

Rami
April 20th, 2009, 06:37
Skipsan,

I'll give her a test run!

Morton
April 20th, 2009, 14:11
No matter what we do, someone is complaining that he is having a problem. Of course, what constitutes an insoluble problem for one person, can be corrected with a minor adjustment by another. What can I say? At this point, I have no overall solution to offer for your difficulties. :kilroy:

Ok. I have no problem with that and I'm not critizising anyone. I just wanted to point out what i thought was a trivial texture mapping problem with a ditto solution. But i see now I may be totally wrong about that. Things are not always as easy as it seems.
Anyway, I should have known better. For the future i'll keep my mouth shut about similar issues and stick to what i'm "good" at.. :blind:

Mort

Tango_Romeo
April 20th, 2009, 19:11
If you would like to give the air file a try let me know. Skipsan:kilroy:

....just shoot the file over to me via email......click on the big Tango_Romeo on the left side of this post and select Send Email. :wavey:

Tango_Romeo
April 20th, 2009, 19:15
Ok. I have no problem with that and I'm not critizising anyone. I just wanted to point out what i thought was a trivial texture mapping problem with a ditto solution. :blind: Mort

...ain't you, Babe! :monkies: