PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim SR-71 and XB-70

Sideshow
April 10th, 2009, 21:18
Hi everyone,firstly I just wanted to say I can't believe I hadn't found this site until recently! Its has a wealth of information and and has already influenced two of my addon purchases, the IRIS F-14 and and Skysims Mirage III both of which I find absolutely amazing!

Anyway the reason I'm posting here is to get some opinions on the Alphasim SR-71 and XB-70. These two aircraft appear to be rather niche in the FS community and and there don't appear to any other options. The only reason I ask is that I purchased an Alphasim aircraft the other day I was rather disappointed, although maybe it is just because I'm using Acceleration.

So what the general consensus on these two aircraft? I'm just a little weary but if my experience was just a once off I'd be happy to try them again.

Thanks in advance.

d0mokun
April 10th, 2009, 21:52
Well to compare, which other one did you buy?

Theres stuff on the AS site that goes back 3 years.

tigisfat
April 10th, 2009, 22:10
I would only reccomend purchasing the Alphasim XB-70 if you absolutely cannot live without one, and it's your favorite aircraft. For a casual XB-70 fan, it leaves a lot to be desired.

The Alphasim SR-71 is a different story. It's been out for a while, and it's still at the absolute bleeding sharp edge of everything a MSFS model can be. I can't tell you about all of it's features or why it's such a good model because I don't have the time and there isn't enough space on this webpage. Every aircraft enthusiast is a SR-71 fan, and that makes this excellent rendition a must have as does it's price.

It is so accurately and faithfully reproduced that simply learning to fly it will teach you volumes about the real-life aircraft and it's missions. You will even have to learn to plan sorties just like the real aircrews did; you will plan around the ability to turn at mach 3.2, tankers, and airfields that can support an aircraft such as this one.

You may get frustrated wiht it's realism: The aircraft cannot be flown outside of it's design limitations or things get unrealistic fast, whereas in real life your flight would simply be over in a rain of titanium over three US states.

I am a pilot in a life outside of computers and MSFS, and flying the Alphasim SR-71 is the only MSFS aircraft holding the distinction of having made me a better and safer pilot.

Also, team SDB should have a Beale AFB scenery available that will augment your experiences with this jet. I've also produced an add-on .BGL file for that scenery. You can find my freeware over at flightsim.com.

Please enjoy it, and I'm glad I could direct someone else to this awesome add-on.

d0mokun
April 10th, 2009, 22:47
I dont know, Im going to have to play devils advocate here. I think the XB-70 is just fine for a "casual" fan. The visual model is fine, FSX true, and the interior is fine too. Certainly not outdated but then its not cutting edge nor utterly realistic with systems either- but then, why would a "casual" fan want that?

Just saying- there are far worse things for a "casual" user to come across than the XB-70, be it from AS or anywhere else.

Sideshow
April 10th, 2009, 22:55
Well to compare, which other one did you buy?

Theres stuff on the AS site that goes back 3 years.

The one I got was the SAAB Gripen for FSX. Externally the aircraft is absolutely amazing in my opinion. The VC isn't the best I have seen but I can live with that. It's the FDE that's the let down.

snip

Thanks for that. I am quite obsessed with the XB-70 and would love to have one in FSX.
The SR-71 sounds like a winner. Realism I can handle.

d0mokun
April 10th, 2009, 22:59
The Gripen isnt generally considered the pick of the bunch over at AS, though people seem to like it in general and Milviz models are held in high regard around these parts.

I think FDE's for fighters are generally a difficult subject. People were very split over the F-105 for example, and a real F-105 pilot had a fair say in that. To each his own!

Tigs summary is pretty exact, though. :ernae:

tigisfat
April 10th, 2009, 23:04
I dont know, Im going to have to play devils advocate here. I think the XB-70 is just fine for a "casual" fan. The visual model is fine, FSX true, and the interior is fine too. Certainly not outdated but then its not cutting edge nor utterly realistic with systems either- but then, why would a "casual" fan want that?

Just saying- there are far worse things for a "casual" user to come across than the XB-70, be it from AS or anywhere else.

correction: I'm glad you caught me. I meant to say (and failed somewhere between my brain and fingers) that the Alphasim XB-70 would be more suited to a casual user. For a XB-70 fan, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Sideshow
April 10th, 2009, 23:46
Well, in that case could you recommend a XB-70 or is the Alphasim one the pick of the bunch? I only know of the Alphasim one and a freeware one so if you know of any more please let me know.

And thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions, much appreciated.

tigisfat
April 10th, 2009, 23:58
Well, in that case could you recommend a XB-70 or is the Alphasim one the pick of the bunch? I only know of the Alphasim one and a freeware one so if you know of any more please let me know.

And thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions, much appreciated.

I think there is a freeware one of similar quality to the Alphasim, and there is also a new payware release from another developer. I don't hae experience with the new developer, and I apologize but I can't remember where I got the freeware.

tigisfat
April 11th, 2009, 00:00
a brief google search yielded many places where I can illegaly download XB-70s, but nowhere for me to find the new payware. Does anyone here remember where the new one came from?

d0mokun
April 11th, 2009, 00:11
Wingsware = http://www.avsim.com/pages/0109/xb70/xb70.htm

mike678
April 11th, 2009, 08:18
I've purchased the WingsWare XB-70 and think it is great for the price. The VC is excellent. I agree with the avsim reviewer that the flight model is a little too forgiving, but for the most part this is not obvious if you stay away from the edges of the real envelope. One little nit - most of the VC gauges are animated 3D models and therefore silky smooth. The tape gauges are just regular (XML I think) gauges with the normal MSFS framerate limitation (max 18 FPS). To be fair, I'm not sure it is possible to animate tape gauges as 3D objects, but the difference in smoothness is noticable in comparison to the other gauges especially during climb and acceleration.

I do not have the Alphasim XB-70. I recall reading some forum posts by people who considered the Alphasim flight model to be very good. Based on posted screenshots, I think the WingsWare VC is much better.

Does anyone know what is going on with WingsWare? I think you can still get the XB-70 through FSPilotshop, but the WingsWare site has been scaled back a lot. They had a RA-5 and B-58 that looked near completion, but these are no longer shown on their upcoming products page. They also shut their purchase page. I hope they are still in business as I was really looking forward to the RA-5.

michael davies
April 11th, 2009, 08:35
I'd personally go with the SR-71 for the simple fact the model was built with passion and dedication, the XB-70 was a ship em in and ship em out product, its nice, theres no getting away from that, but the SR-71 is a more polished product, you get more real estate for your $ with the SR-71.

Best

Michael

Sideshow
April 11th, 2009, 17:52
Thanks for the replies everyone. I now have a good idea what to expect. I will definitely get the SR-71.

tigisfat
April 12th, 2009, 02:36
Thanks for the replies everyone. I now have a good idea what to expect. I will definitely get the SR-71.

Please be sure to start a thread back here with some screenies and let us know how much yu enjoy it or lack thereof.:gossip: