PDA

View Full Version : Ils

Pepere
April 10th, 2009, 17:24
How do you find the ILS frequency to a runway when you want to do an ILS approach. I use either the Map or the ezgpsv4 gauge by Abacus.. It just a pain. Is there an easyer way? Wish ATC would provide it when they assign me the landing runway.

David

glennc
April 10th, 2009, 18:39
David,

Within FSX, I don't know of any other than the map - or the GPS. The "NRST" button will show you the nearest airports and on the com/nav page are all the frequencies. If the airport you need isn't visible, you can edit the airport ICAO code to show the airport data you need. There is also a nearest VOR page but the codes may not be real helpful. There are also some add-ons that help. I find SimPlatesX to be very useful.

Glenn

Pepere
April 10th, 2009, 19:07
Is there a way I can learn to use the GPS fully. I've been using FS for 20+ years yet can't figgure the GPS out.

David

glennc
April 10th, 2009, 19:24
David,

FS's Learning Center should have it all. Hands on experimentation works best. In the standard FSX GPS500, there are two concentric knobs on the lower left corner. If you think of the pages on the display like pages in a book, the outer knob moves between chapters, the inner knob flips pages within chapters. If you press the inner knob in, that activates a cursor for editing of fields. As mean mouthed as the GPS is, there is really a lot of information behind it. It doesn't get close to replicating any real GPS but within the FSX world, it's not really too bad. If you have FSX Deluxe, the G1000 panels give you about 25% of the real functionality, and at least it looks like the real one up to a point.

Hope that helps,

Glenn

azflyboy
April 10th, 2009, 19:55
The frequencies are available from the map screen in FSX by clicking on an airport icon, where it should list the runways, their dimensions, and the ILS frequencies (if applicable).

I actually use real-world approach plates, since the information is all in one place and they provide much more information than the FSX ATC will.

For the US, you can get every published approach plate for free (in PDF form) from http://naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

On that site, click the "digital - Terminal Procedures (http://naco.faa.gov/digital_tpp.asp?ver=0904&eff=04-09-2009&end=05-07-2009)" link (which will change every 56 days), and go from there.

One thing to remember for this site is to drop the "K" (ie KJFK->JFK) when entering the airport ID, unless you check the ICAO bubble.

daytonite_andy
April 10th, 2009, 22:08
David,

I use Flight Sim Commander which is a payware flight planning addon http://www.fscommander.com/ . It can read what frequencies are actually used in your version of Flight Simulator. Nothing worse than reading an approach plate then finding the frequency is not used or is missing in the sim (how many times have I done that after a long flight :icon_eek:).

I fire up FSCommander, plan a flight and it will give me all frequencies used at the departure and destination airports. You then load the flight plan in flight sim and you're off....

Alternatively, you can use the map in FSX, but I just found that waaayyy too fiddly.

Andrew

Pepere
April 11th, 2009, 03:23
David,

I use Flight Sim Commander which is a payware flight planning addon http://www.fscommander.com/ . It can read what frequencies are actually used in your version of Flight Simulator. Nothing worse than reading an approach plate then finding the frequency is not used or is missing in the sim (how many times have I done that after a long flight :icon_eek:).

I fire up FSCommander, plan a flight and it will give me all frequencies used at the departure and destination airports. You then load the flight plan in flight sim and you're off....

Alternatively, you can use the map in FSX, but I just found that waaayyy too fiddly.

Andrew

Ya, I have that program too. It has an awesome little GPS but only works in windows mode. All suggestions so far I know about. But for such an obvious thing used in landings it's a hidden/pain to get.

I think I'll give the Learning Center a try. It's about time, I guess. I've also downloaded RwyInfoGauge By Ernie Alston for fs2000 and might try that also. But if it is all in the default GPS that is the way to go.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions... :wave:

David :typing:

n4gix
April 11th, 2009, 06:05
David,

FS's Learning Center should have it all. Hands on experimentation works best. In the standard FSX GPS500, there are two concentric knobs on the lower left corner.

Um, that would be the lower RIGHT corner for the knobs... :typing:

There are likely less than a hundred people in the Universe who've actually read the entire Learning Center...

...much less who've looked there first for information. :monkies:

daytonite_andy
April 11th, 2009, 06:28
David,

The information is not hidden in FS Commander. Hover your mouse over the airport you need the ILS frequency for and it will be revealed. See the attached screenshots.

You have to run the FSCommander database manager, which will read what you have installed in FSX, AND run it every time you install new scenery to update FS Commander.

Of course the airport has to have an ILS frequency in FSX in the first place for this information to show up. The information for Heathrow posted in the screenshot below is not default but rather London Heathrow by Aerosoft.

Hope this helps.....

Andrew

Pepere
April 11th, 2009, 08:17
Ya, I understand it's not hidden in FS Commander 8 but when in FSX FSC 8 only works in windows mode not full screen. ILS in FSX or FS9 is inconvenient to display. I know it'z on the Map of fsx or fs9 but to display the map you have to go to pulldown menu and that's not fun (as real as it gets)... In reality, the ILS and runway heading (CRS) should be readly available .. My $.02..

I also have the sim-plates program for fs9 and don't care for that because unless you print them out they are not that much help either. I like things "at hand" and "in" the sim. The gauge "RwyInfoGauge By Ernie Alston for fs2000" works good but does not have all the ILSs available in FSX. Oh well.

David

fliger747
April 11th, 2009, 09:01
Just a note:

ATC usually doens not provide the frequency without being asked as they expect you to have an approach plate. They will provide it if asked or if changing the runway at the last minute. The MS Approach database has not changed in many instances though the real world changes have occured some time ago. During the FSX beta I pointed some of this out and the practical answer that I recieved was that it was not cost effective to undertake such a huge update at that time.

So as the game ages we will further find discrepencies between the Default info and real world practice. For most of us this is not a problem. Some advanced simulations such as the PMDG 747-400's use an addon database which is more current.

Cheers: Tom

daytonite_andy
April 11th, 2009, 10:13
David,

I guess we all define as 'real as it gets' differently. For me planning the flight includes noting down the departure and arrival frequencies and having hard copies of the approach plates. I don't use FS Commander whilst flying, just in the planning stage.

I think in your case the default GPS is the way to go. You can read frequencies within the sim and call it up at any time if you have to divert to an alternate.

Ok, and I'm doing this because I'm feeling your pain, I've attached a ten step guide to calling up the frequency page in the default GPS. If you get stuck just click and hold the CLR button and start again.

If you get lost then don't blame me.... :jump:

Andrew

Pepere
April 11th, 2009, 12:53
Thanks Andrew.. I'll give it a try.:wave:

David:wiggle:

Lionheart
April 11th, 2009, 13:03
Pepere,

You could do a little 'pre-flight' quick study. I used to do this alot on realism flights. Note all your VOR freqs and ILS freqs on a notepad on the desk and then as you get to your final leg, just plug it in 'actual pilot style'.

Are you getting your needles working on the ILS approach VOR gauge? Thats the best part I think. Great for night approaches.

I learned ILS in FS2002 with the 737. (I think it was FS2002.. Might have been FS2004). Great tutorial. Even the basic ones like landing in the 172 is brilliant, how you flare it down right at roughly 45 / 48 knots.

Some good tutorials in there.

Bill

Lionheart
April 11th, 2009, 13:05
David,

I guess we all define as 'real as it gets' differently. For me planning the flight includes noting down the departure and arrival frequencies and having hard copies of the approach plates. I don't use FS Commander whilst flying, just in the planning stage.

I think in your case the default GPS is the way to go. You can read frequencies within the sim and call it up at any time if you have to divert to an alternate.

Ok, and I'm doing this because I'm feeling your pain, I've attached a ten step guide to calling up the frequency page in the default GPS. If you get stuck just click and hold the CLR button and start again.

If you get lost then don't blame me.... :jump:

Andrew

Awesome tutorials Andrew. I never knew how to move/scroll through a list, lolol.. Very cool.

Bill

daytonite_andy
April 11th, 2009, 13:09
Bill,

Thanks...and I don't even use the default GPS myself...I use the Reality XP Garmin GNS530. Now that's a GPS to get lost in...:faint:

Andrew

Pepere
April 11th, 2009, 13:11
Yes. I ILS approach/land all the time. I would just like the ILS and CRS at hand but not in hand :))....

Thanks guys for all the help.

David

Pepere
April 11th, 2009, 13:18
A nice place to put the ILSs would be in the flight plan in the keen board. By the way my Keen board stopped working about a month ago?

David

n4gix
April 11th, 2009, 14:12
Awesome tutorials Andrew. I never knew how to move/scroll through a list, lolol.. Very cool.

That doesn't surprise me Bill as you are not one of the "hundred people in the Universe" who actually ****... :173go1:

Also, after activating the cursor, one can simply TYPE in the ICAO using the keyboard, rather than faffing around with the knobs... :whistle:

I'll bet you few people know that the GPS will auto-tune the COM1/NAV1 radio's standby frequency too! :faint:

During "Step 10" in the series described above, if you scroll down to the ILS you want, then click the ENTER button, the GPS will autotune NAV1 Stnby to the correct frequency. If you pick one of the COM frequencies, it will autotune the COM1 Stndby radio. :applause:

Pepere
April 11th, 2009, 15:16
Andrew thank you for the help. Took a flight and the GPS worked.:wave:

Thank you.

David

daytonite_andy
April 11th, 2009, 23:43
Excellent news.....my work here is done :jump: