PDA

View Full Version : Looking for trouble with the Kodiak...

grunau_baby
April 10th, 2009, 07:32
...these airfields are really evil... (sloped runways, trees all around).

Just rediscovering the airfields from German Landmarks, mainly fields for ultralights and sailplanes they are great for some STOL practice.

Thanks Lionheart (Bill)!!!
Alex

Lionheart
April 10th, 2009, 09:03
Hey Alex,

Great screenshots! Some excellent German scenery.

:ernae:

Bill

Mithrin
April 10th, 2009, 11:52
Oh makes me want to install that again. I need a new HD really cuz I am definitely out of space!

grunau_baby
April 11th, 2009, 00:43
Normally have these airfields disabled, being a bit crude in design, but those sloped runways are a real treat for Kodiak-flying! No need for any remote bushstrips!

Alex

cheezyflier
April 11th, 2009, 05:30
i was able to get off the ground at courcheval with a full load of adult sized passengers, and fuel. i barely cleared the trees, but it worked. that's power!

BOOM
April 11th, 2009, 06:10
Those really are beautiful screens grunau baby!! also.I'd love to see the rest of your aviator:faint:

grunau_baby
April 11th, 2009, 06:25
Unfortunately on half of those airfields the terrain is wickedly wrong and the aircraft sinks into the ground, will disable them again...gggrrr:banghead: Must find other interesting spots to fly from... With the upcomming Lysander from FSaddon I really need a big collection of bad-a... fields to practice my STOL capailities.

I'd love to see the rest of your aviator
At your service at once, providing miracles will take a bit longer:costumes:

Alex

BOOM
April 11th, 2009, 07:10
OH.She's lovely!!! Thank you!:ernae:

daytonite_andy
April 11th, 2009, 07:49
If you're looking for trouble and you want to try out your STOL technique then try landing at SABA (Juancho Yrausquin). The default is dull but the FlyTampa St Maarten package has a beautiful airstrip. Come in slow and with full flaps.....and be prepared to spill your beer when the reversers kick in.... :icon_eek:

One (if not THE) shortest airstrip used by commercial aviation in the world I believe.

Andrew

grunau_baby
April 11th, 2009, 08:19
Got them, did my first crashlanding with the Kodiak on St. Barthelmie, coming over that hill too steep and too fast. After I managed Saba I thought I could do anything...:rolleyes:

I do find the long nose of the Kodiak rather unusefull in terms of STOL landings. Never see where to touch down...

Alex

PS:

OH.She's lovely!!! Thank you!
Honestly, I actually prefer the "static" objects of those scenes:engel016:

Tako_Kichi
April 11th, 2009, 09:03
One (if not THE) shortest airstrip used by commercial aviation in the world I believe.
One of the shortest but not THE shortest as both Westray and Papa Westray in the Orkney Islands off northern Scotland have runways shorter than SABA.

The Westray-Papa Westray link is also the world's shortest commercial scheduled flight of just 1.7 miles! Flight time is 2 MINUTES including taxiing at each end!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westray_Airport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa_Westray_Airport

It's a great place to practice STOL touch 'n' go's as you take off, cross the narrow strait and land again then rinse and repeat. You can get a lot of take-off and landing practice in a very short time there...lol.

PhineasT
April 11th, 2009, 11:14
The state of Idaho has some nice challenges and scenery. Try 09ID (Taylor Ranch). IS7 (Slate Creek). ID28 (Mackey Bar) will test you. Try the US Forest Service "fields" 4U9, S90, U00.

Fly out of KLLJ for nice trips to these and other small strips.

Here are a few random shots (low res textures ... my computer is not up to more.

-Dave

Lionheart
April 11th, 2009, 12:52
Here's some screenshots, doing some flying over Northern Arizona in Tile Proxy mode.

Meteor crater is the bomb site looking thing. This is travelling along I-40 (interstate/highway) near Flagstaff.

Lionheart
April 11th, 2009, 12:55
A few more...

:d

This is over Southern Colorado, having flown out of Durango, heading North North East up through the passes over through Silverton and out into the plains. (I believe I flew over Silverton.. ).

Its kind of in reverse order. The first one is just before breaking out into the plains. The last one is in the heart of the mountain ranges. Note the reddish mountain I am flying over. These mountains are filled with old mines and tons of minerals. The area's will literally look like they are rusting form all the minerals in the land...

Bill

grunau_baby
April 12th, 2009, 02:53
Another short and narrow field!

Lionheart
April 12th, 2009, 03:37
Another short and narrow field!

Ahhh.... Freisland!

Awesome scenery...!

:applause:

Bill