PDA

View Full Version : Home builders

mustang51
April 8th, 2009, 12:17
If you are building or restoreing let us see some pictures. :applause: :ernae:
Bob

mustang51
April 8th, 2009, 12:20
Can anyone name that little yellow biplane???? Bet there is not one for FS9.

pointy31
April 8th, 2009, 12:29
Piglet made one very similar, if not the same airplane, the Great Lakes 2T-1A...:ernae:

OleBoy
April 8th, 2009, 12:34
Looks like a Stits Bipe to me

mustang51
April 8th, 2009, 13:06
All wrong....hint....think of a bird.

falcon409
April 8th, 2009, 13:09
Beech Staggerwing: NOTE:The last shot was taken during a short flight in a visiting Staggerwing several weeks ago.

TomSteber
April 8th, 2009, 14:11
Darn it! I know I know this. I just can't remember. Should know it from the landing gear!

mrogers
April 8th, 2009, 14:16
mustang51, that blue high wing open cockpit monoplane must be a Pietenpol aircamper..down the road from me a new one is being built in a shed!

N2056
April 8th, 2009, 15:05
Here are the two planes I am involved with :d

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/picture.php?albumid=8&pictureid=56 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/picture.php?albumid=8&pictureid=56)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/picture.php?albumid=8&pictureid=556

pointy31
April 8th, 2009, 18:50
All wrong....hint....think of a bird.

B1RD...or GU11...:monkies:

mustang51
April 9th, 2009, 08:38
Another hint.......think flower and then bird. very small airplane.
Staggerwing must be right on top as one of the most intensive work to rebuild. Lots of nice wood, you almost don't want to cover it.
Yes that' s a Pietenpol. Was going to build a Thorp, then it was a Cassett (spelling) then it was a two seat folding low wing.
Did get to work on a Smith Miniplane and covered some Champ wings.
Also the belly of my Champ. It had skies on and I let a friend fly it. He forgot you don't have brakes and ran it up over a snow bank. Almost hit the prop and then the tail came down on that bank and opened up her belly. He did let me use his hangar. Had a heck of a time cuz the dope would not cure right with the cold temp.
Bob

mustang51
April 9th, 2009, 08:50
A Pietenpol biplane....and with radial engine. A scaled down Stearman.

TomSteber
April 9th, 2009, 13:51
Rose Parakeet?

brad kaste
April 10th, 2009, 06:48
Not exactly a full sized 'home built'...but a RC aircraft I constructed from a Midwest kit. King Rat and his Pietenpol Fighter Bomber.

mustang51
April 10th, 2009, 06:57
Tom is the big winner. My flight instructor flew aerobatics in one.
Must be some kind of prize for Tom. :applause: :wavey: :ernae:

TomSteber
April 10th, 2009, 14:01
:jump::jump::jump::jump:

Wittpilot
April 10th, 2009, 17:06
Okay, So I went through a long hair stage about a year back.... I'm over it now....

Anybody guess what the frame belongs to?

-witt

Wittpilot
April 10th, 2009, 17:08
BTW, That scaled down Stearman is pretty neat looking!

phantomx1
April 10th, 2009, 18:02
Fairchild 24R?

mustang51
April 11th, 2009, 10:57
Talking about restoration....how many man hours does it take to keep her shined?

Wittpilot
April 11th, 2009, 15:08
I don't know the answer to that one... But something I never did know was that polishing aluminum often is bad for the aluminum.... I never really thought about it I guess until dad and I got into a discussion about polishing a B-17 up... I guess there is two trains of thought...
a.) Polish it up bright and shiny so you go blind when the sun is out...
b.) Leave it in a somewhat 'dirty' state....

I guess it makes sense...all that polishing would not only wear on the metal, but the rivets too.... I guess once in a while wouldn't hurt, but I suppose polishing often, does more harm than good....

-witt

mustang51
April 12th, 2009, 08:37
Witt....some that I have known, after it is polished, clean it with flower, Pillsbury brand only. Inside out of the wind I am sure. That must have been a real mess, don't think that is true. Props and struts maybe. My cousin did it on the prop of his Fleet 16B. I had to put on white gloves to prop it. Warner 125hp.

mustang51
April 12th, 2009, 16:57
witt.......you and your dad talked about how to finish a B-17........
It is a bad sin not to let us all know what you have been doing!!!!
:faint:

falcon409
April 12th, 2009, 18:26
I don't know the answer to that one... But something I never did know was that polishing aluminum often is bad for the aluminum.... I never really thought about it I guess until dad and I got into a discussion about polishing a B-17 up... I guess there is two trains of thought...
a.) Polish it up bright and shiny so you go blind when the sun is out...
b.) Leave it in a somewhat 'dirty' state....

I guess it makes sense...all that polishing would not only wear on the metal, but the rivets too.... I guess once in a while wouldn't hurt, but I suppose polishing often, does more harm than good....
-witt
I work for a restoration company at North Texas Regional (Grayson County Airport) and we worked on the P-51 from Cavenaugh Flight Museum. The entire fuselage was reskinned, polished and then given a final application of Dupont Clearcoat. Looks great, very durable.

TomSteber
April 13th, 2009, 03:13
I work for a restoration company at North Texas Regional (Grayson County Airport) and we worked on the P-51 from Cavenaugh Flight Museum. The entire fuselage was reskinned, polished and then given a final application of Dupont Clearcoat. Looks great, very durable.

I saw a 51 at Oshkosh this last year that looked a lot like it had a clear coat on it and asked the guys that were with the plane (at least they acted like it) if it was a coating and they told me it was just polish. I think they were full of it! I've seen a lot of polished 51's there over the years and never one that looked like that.
Which one was the one you worked on?
Maybe it was the same one.

Tom

falcon409
April 13th, 2009, 04:27
Tom,
Long story, but basically the day Jim Cavenaugh was supposed to take possession of the aircraft (and head to the Gathering) he decided to have us completely redo the aircraft to the current polished version (after we had already spent 3 months completely stripping it and rebuilding it from scratch). So he probably wasn't at that function.

Wittpilot
April 14th, 2009, 18:29
Mustang, If I hadn't mentioned it already... Check the "B-17 Restoration Thread" in the Newshawks... I try and update once a week..

I would have never thought about putting a clear coat like that on airplanes... I work at a Honda plant in the Paint shop... Actually I work in the booth where the cars go into the Clear Coat... I sand out dirt in the Primer basically... for 8 hours a day...... Anyway, it's amazing what that clear coat does, you can sand it, scuff it...etc.. and it just polishes out!

-witt

Wittpilot
April 14th, 2009, 18:33
Fairchild 24R?

BTW
You were right... just haven't gotten around to mentioning that... Very good... You must tell me how you knew that!

Wittpilot
April 14th, 2009, 18:34
One more thing... we were talking about polishing... well one B-17 I can't ever remember being polished was Fuddy Duddy....

Well, Look Here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEZfysoXfGg

-witt