PDA

View Full Version : Who is your Internet Provider?

Pepere
April 8th, 2009, 11:17
And how is the servise, if any?

I Have DSL and it's getting slower by the day. It's with Fair Point (from India or Pakistan, at least everyone I talk with sound like they are).. In may opinion the name should be "Not so Fair Point". Now if anyone here, their mother, brother, wife, sister, daughter, etc., etc., work for this company.

Then it's the best company on earth and you can disregard the above.:monkies:

David :kilroy:

Pepere
April 8th, 2009, 11:20
Ooops. Ment to post this in newshawks....

djscoo
April 8th, 2009, 11:21
I have "Roadrunner" by Time Warner. They try to suck every penny out of you with three different speed levels (each more expensive). It's the only cable provider in our area...:kilroy:
Read This ☞http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2335811,00.asp

Pepere
April 8th, 2009, 11:38
Yeps.. Is that gb downloaded? How do we tell how much gb we use? Any programs to tell us our usage.

David

cheezyflier
April 8th, 2009, 11:46
I have "Roadrunner" by Time Warner. They try to suck every penny out of you with three different speed levels (each more expensive). It's the only cable provider in our area...:kilroy:
Read This ☞http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2335811,00.asp

interesting. here in canadia we have the same story, only the name of our snidely whiplash er, i mean isp is rogers cable. they are eeerily similar to comcast.

Brushman
April 8th, 2009, 11:47
I'm on Virgin Media @ 20mb and I have no problems apart from the odd shut down of my router. A simple reboot and I'm away again.

gera
April 8th, 2009, 11:48
Yeps.. Is that gb downloaded? How do we tell how much gb we use? Any programs to tell us our usage.

David

I use C&W from Britain...have DSL T-1 and works like a charm...$42 per month no download limit.....prices are going down so I will change contract at the end of the month.

harleyman
April 8th, 2009, 12:05
Bell South here...I have their top speed deal thats all a part of a package with Direct TV, wireless phones plan, and home phone with DSL...:faint:

And it sucks some days too...I think the speeds come and go...At times the modem will just stop responding...I might just buy my own and see if its their stuff or the lines...

gecko65
April 8th, 2009, 12:12
I use a local ISP here in town. I like them because they are fast enough for my needs and if I have a problem, I can go down to their main office and yell at them in person. They very rarely have any issues, and are constantly sending out emails to keep me informed on maintenance schedules, etc.

Marvin Carter
April 8th, 2009, 12:40
Comcast, phon, TV, Puter. 500 channels and nothing on!!!

Marvin Carter

Bjoern
April 8th, 2009, 12:50
Her.

http://www.webregard.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/alice.jpg

Does a good job in every regard. *Co-hough*

stiz
April 8th, 2009, 13:21
was with NTL before Virgin brought them out, then the service went through the floor with speeds which made dail up seem super fast, switched to BT telecom and havnt had a single problem :woot:

hey_moe
April 8th, 2009, 13:28
I had Cox Cable which was blazing fast but switch back to Verizon DSL and now FIOS phone and internet which is also fast. Cox is way over priced here in Hampton, Va so we are having a war between the two..lol. Cox still had another increase anyway. Three in two years but ya got another Sponge Bob channel to watch...Oh boy! :woot:

Henry
April 8th, 2009, 16:16
i use rabbit ears and tin foil
but when that gets slow
i use AT&T
its not fast but i refuse to deal with comcast
and for home i do not mind AT&T
it beats dial up
and i have never had a problem:typing:
H

hey_moe
April 8th, 2009, 16:30
Henry you told me just last week that you used string and two tin cans.
but when that gets slow
i use AT&T
it beats dial up
H

kilo delta
April 8th, 2009, 16:46
Her.

http://www.webregard.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/alice.jpg

Does a good job in every regard. *Co-hough*

In the words of the (great?) Smokie song:

"Alice, Alice? Who the F*** is Alice?!!"

Ps. ....she has great teeth :friday:

Henry
April 8th, 2009, 16:50
Henry you told me just last week that you used string and two tin cans.
thats my dial up!
jees, i am getting high tek
with the rabbit ears wireless ya know
H

CG_1976
April 8th, 2009, 18:39
I have a local ISP that blows away Roadrunner and won our goverment contract for 12 years plus KO Roadrunnner out of all local ISP high speed contracts. Good for all the people of Green Bay Price releif of 50% and stronger service at local level.

ryanbatc
April 8th, 2009, 18:41
Charter Cable....they are ok.....the 5mbps connection was l33t like 2 years ago but now it's getting slower, especially at night when traffic is high. Their customer service is alright... about 50 bucks/month (USD)

n4gix
April 8th, 2009, 18:50
Comcast... $102/mo for 12Mbps and 35 channels of nothing much. I used to get SciFi channel, but they moved it to digital only a few years ago...

I'm seriously considering switching to WOW! I can get the same 12Mbps +102 channels (including SciFi) for $59.95/mo through 2011.

azflyboy
April 8th, 2009, 20:19
I'm with Midcontinent (they only exist in the Dakotas and part of Minnesota), and they're amazing.

For $119/mo, I get phone (unlimited local and long distance), very quick internet with no bandwidth caps, and digital cable with a DVR and HD service, which is a pretty good deal.
Despite the insane weather we get up here, I've never had my phone, internet or cable cut out, which is pretty impressive.

The best part is that their support people are located somewhere in the upper midwest, so the only time I've had to call them, the issue was resolved within 5 minutes without me having to guess at what the support person was saying.

airfighterjohn
April 9th, 2009, 01:51
Been dealing with Charter here--been more like a war, actually. Charter came out and put a switching system on my property without anyone's permission--keeps about 2000 homes in cable. Got 15 days late on a payment, they cut me off. Called them and told them I was going to take a chainsaw to their switching system--they called the cops. Cops said it was a "Civil Matter" and it had to be settled by the Courts--I told Charter it was now going to cost them $1000 a month to keep that huge box on my property unless they provided free or highly discounted services to our household. Charter said the City had given them permission to install the box. I went to the city and they denied it and told Charter such. Now, as the result of a settlement, I get all my cable (over 400 channels),internet (16M), and phone with unlimited long distance for nothing but the City franchise fees and taxes ($55 per month for ALL), PLUS Charter had to plant ornamental shrubbery around the box. And YES, the City said i had to right to order the box removed from my property at any time--Too bad Charter is the only deal in town:focus:

Mickey D
April 9th, 2009, 01:59
I'm on Virgin Media @ 20mb and I have no problems apart from the odd shut down of my router. A simple reboot and I'm away again.

Me too Brushman. I have the XL package and few problems but I too have the router reset thing. Sky came to the door yesterday and offered me the same package (so the salesman said ) for £20 p.m. less but it would mean going back to copper wires and I like fibre optic cables. No interference. Where I live the phone wires pick up BBC Radio 1. I could put up with Radio 2 :)

GT182
April 9th, 2009, 04:52
Comcast... $102/mo for 12Mbps and 35 channels of nothing much. I used to get SciFi channel, but they moved it to digital only a few years ago...

Crapcast here too, only because they have a monoply for our area. Got the 35 channels and slow broadband only.... for 102/mo. :frown: Phone is thru Vonage. :d

I've got SciFi with our setup Bill..... It hasn't moved to the "expensive gotta have their box" deal yet. And they keep raising prices like there's no tomorrow. :angryfir: Tho there are certain stations we should be able to do away with that are CRAP. Cable is direct from the wall to the LCD TV.

I'd go back to Roadrunner if I had the chance. Cost less, you got more, and no hassles.

cheezyflier
April 9th, 2009, 05:08
for you guys who are using comcast, a noteable fact -
when i was using them several years ago, i had t.v. and internet because my son was living there. when he moved out i dropped the t.v. and my bill actually went up $2/month

FLighT01
April 9th, 2009, 05:09
but when that gets slow
i use AT&T
it beats dial up
H

Same here, my Verizon DSL is good and all the speed I need, once every couple of months something happens that causes the connection to be lost but disconnecting the modem for a minute or two and "rebooting" it so to speak, solves the problem. I use Verizon phone as well. I wish FIOS was available where I live, I'd switch in a heartbeat to get rid of overpriced Comcast for my TV cable. Especially considering how little I use it.

VCN-1
April 9th, 2009, 05:49
I had Hughes Net which was a nightmare. Since I lived out in the country there was dial up or satellite. Hughes net was very expensive for what you got and there was a throttle if you exceed 200 MB a day which included just surfing. If you exceeded the 200 MB you were throttled back to dial up speeds for about 24 hours. I never spoke to anyone in the USA on the first contacts to address issues and there was always the language barrier. Only after service issues were escalated did it switch back to the US.

Weather was always an issue. It didn't have to be raining just moisture laden clouds was enough to lose signal.

I have Embarq now which is the local phone service that was spun off from Sprint and finally made it to the county via the telephone lines

Half the price and 10 times as fast with no limits. I am extremely pleased with Embarq.

VCN-1

Bjoern
April 9th, 2009, 08:48
In the words of the (great?) Smokie song:

"Alice, Alice? Who the F*** is Alice?!!"

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/Internet/facepalm.jpg

:d

www.alice.de ;)

kilo delta
April 9th, 2009, 08:58
:p: .....LOL

Lionheart
April 9th, 2009, 09:26
Bjoern,

That is too funny...

:ernae:

Gotta love Picard..

My service is Cox. I shouldnt write this, but I pay roughly $250.00 a month. Its horrible. Cable is astronomical, but I get SciFi, Discovery, and the 3 Christian channels. Internet is massively fast. And we have a phone. Thats 3 services.

I am ready to cancel it all and go with Quest for HS internet. The money is not worth it. Cox have treated us rough in the past, even with paying that much money. For the longest while, they were the only ones. Now they have competition and their high prices are now an option. :)

I really need HS internet for uploading all my files, otherwise it can take hours. So HS is a must.

I know what you mean Moe.... Why do they need to keep raising their rates??? They are the most expensive! Is it for all their commercials on TV?

Bill
LHC

Bjoern
April 9th, 2009, 10:54
:p: .....LOL

By the way, I pay about $30 for my 16MBit connection.

kilo delta
April 9th, 2009, 11:06

By the way, I pay about $30 for my 16MBit connection.

I'm paying €30/month for a 3mb line :(

Cazzie
April 9th, 2009, 11:25
Comcast cable Internet, Direct TV HD. Cable TV cannot compare or compete with DTV's quality and price. DTV's DSL leave's much to be desired at about the same price as Comcast Internet only. I've only had Comcast, once Adelphia, go down one time in the five years I've been wired. Since I have a good friend in management, one call got that fixed the next day. Cable went down at the connection on the road because of high winds.

I do like the high speed of my cable, don't know if I could live with Verizon or anything slower. Now, if fiber cable comes to Danville like it was planned to several years ago (they already have it in city government and all rescue, public schools, and colleges in the city proper), I may have to look into that. Saw a demo at the Center of Advanced learning and it is whopper-jack fast! Like a video is downloaded before you can bat an eyelash fast! Imagine what online play could be like with that! :ernae:

Caz

GT182
April 9th, 2009, 13:14
Bjoern,
My service is Cox. I shouldnt write this, but I pay roughly $250.00 a month. Its horrible. Cable is astronomical, but I get SciFi, Discovery, and the 3 Christian channels. Internet is massively fast. And we have a phone. Thats 3 services.

Bill
LHC

:jawdrop: Bill, doesn't it hurt when you sit down? I always say... "if yer gonna screw me, ya'd better kiss me first". You must belong to the Scrod Club.

mjrhealth
April 9th, 2009, 15:06
Well her in aus I use TPG, 1.5 mb, ye its slow,telstra being dragging there feet for years, ADSl2 still being rolled out, tke for ever, hasnt reached me yet, but i am happy, service is reliable, and i dont download much, but they keep changing the options and bnever tell us which is a pain in the but. Gtot ask fo a change more download same price.

fsafranek
April 9th, 2009, 15:50
Cable connection via Cox.net is the only broadband option here in north San Diego county. Reliability is 100% for connection but I'd put reliability at 99% since some DNS are not recognized from time to time. Taking the laptop across town and trying from there works so I figure it's my provider. Anyway, $154 with phone and cable TV. Ouch but no other fast options. :173go1:

JSkorna
April 9th, 2009, 16:26
WOW is the way to go if it is offered in your area.

Wiens
April 9th, 2009, 16:30
:woot:

Another Cox Cable/Internet user here! We've been with them since the first morning they provided cable internet to Hutchinson in September, 1998. They were formerly known as RoadRunner. I believe we were their first cable internet client in Hutch!!

We don't pay as much as Bill does but we don't have their phone service either but I love the HD channels, DVR is great, the extra movie channels and all the sports channels are spectacular. We have the preferred service which states download speeds @ 12 Mbs but I've tested it several times at speeds over 20 Mbs. Our cable internet cost is $35 per month. Cable TV and all our HD DVR boxes and packages brings the bill to just south of $200 per month. I don't know why but we have five TV's and four computers for three people.

The internet reliability has been near perfect. We had a period of time when we experienced some delivery issues but Cox was right on top of fixing the problem and then proceeded to upgrade their delivery network in our neighborhood.

Kevin

hey_moe
April 9th, 2009, 16:42
250 bucks a month...chet...I gonna shut my mouth. I hope for that price you get all the paid channels include the Play Boy channels and all the paid for view channels too. My wife would have to work the street corner and at the bank 24/7...lol

paiken
April 9th, 2009, 17:05
Yup, Cox here too (PHX). My theory on why it's so durned expensive is all of the advertising they do. I work for the USPS, and Cox is by far the most prolific sender of "bulk buisness mail" (aka junk mail). I've had days where they send out a separate piece of mail for each of their services (TV, Internet, Phone). Multiply that by the 600 or so delivery points on my route alone and we're talking a MAJOR chunk of cash, even with the bulk rate they're paying, and that's just my route. For the entire Metro Phoenix area we're talking tens and perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars for one mailing. These things have gone out as many times as three times in a single week! Thats why your cable/ISP/phone rates are so high.:173go1:

SolarEagle
April 10th, 2009, 00:34
I'm with Midcontinent (they only exist in the Dakotas and part of Minnesota), and they're amazing.

For $119/mo, I get phone (unlimited local and long distance), very quick internet with no bandwidth caps, and digital cable with a DVR and HD service, which is a pretty good deal.
Despite the insane weather we get up here, I've never had my phone, internet or cable cut out, which is pretty impressive.

The best part is that their support people are located somewhere in the upper midwest, so the only time I've had to call them, the issue was resolved within 5 minutes without me having to guess at what the support person was saying.

I certainly didn't expect to see Midco mentioned in this thread! I also use Midco, 28Mbit down and 768k up, and best of all it's FREE! We're rolling out DOCSIS 3.0 this summer in select markets, and while I don't know what speed grades will be offered, we're seeing 140Mbit in the lab. I hear Midco is the envy of the cable industry, whom the bigger guys look to as a technology leader. Customer service is a top priority, and the phone support techs get paid as much as $30K a year, which is pretty darn good for SD with such low cost of living here. :engel016:

Buddha13
April 10th, 2009, 03:41
Hi all,
I use Tiscali here in the UK.Not the fastest.Should get 8mb but usually only get 4-6mb speed.But I do have unlimited downloads size.Not may ISP's in the UK give you that.Most cap your amount.All for only £17.99.This also includes the cost of the Thompson wireless router and 4 wireless dongles for your computers.

Buddha13

Bjoern
April 10th, 2009, 05:05
I'm paying €30/month for a 3mb line :(

Telekom? Freenet?

stiz
April 10th, 2009, 05:22

blooming heck bill, we only pay £29ish a month for a 8mb line (which is fast enough for anyone really), and that includes home hub (basicly a router) and an internet phone (which is never used) plus free calls anywhere to the uk (up to an hour, but you can hang up and redail for another free call) then sky for tv which is around £23ish, even then theres more channels then any of us watch .... now im guessing that is around $76ish ... they buy you dinner first bill?? :faint:

Chacha
April 10th, 2009, 07:55
Brighthouse Networks! I live North of Orlando (Florida), and bright house Networks is one of the fastest internet so far!

I pay $29.99 per month on their slowest connection (still speedy fast for me!) 7Mbps Road Runner High Speed Online

$120.00 For Combo Digital Cable, Digital Phone and High Speed Internet! :amen:

Eli :typing:

TeaSea
April 10th, 2009, 16:00
BrightHouse/RoadRunner....here.

Comes with the cable, which is part of the neighborhood's maintenance fee so it's not a bad deal.

We benefit from the fact that Verizon is in a turf war with Brighthouse. Whenever they try and raise the rates my wife calls up and says she's going to Verizon. Then they give us a 6 month discount rate.

Hey, you don't ask, you don't get.

Being an IT Telecom guy, I've never been a big fan of DSL. It has it's place, but it's often problematic. In my workplace we've replaced all the DSL links except one -- which we have no choice with.

Guess which one gives us the most trouble?

Pepere
April 10th, 2009, 17:14
Man I could not have dreamed up all these companies in a nightmare! But it's interesting. What ever happen to Ma-Bell? Ah, the good old days!

David