PDA

View Full Version : Topgun music for FSX

IanHenry
April 7th, 2009, 10:53
This is pretty cool, over at Simviation there’s a download to replace the irritating music which plays when you open FSX (although I have it turned off, up until now!) with two pieces of music from the film Topgun:
http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?type=item&ID=69&page=3 (http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?type=item&ID=69&page=3)
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Perfect for flying a planeload of rubber dog s**t out of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Hong Kong</st1:place>, Goose! :wave:
<o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian.
<o:p> </o:p>

papab
April 7th, 2009, 11:12
Hey,Thanks for the link!:ernae:
I saw this a while back but did not act on it right away! When I went to look for it later on I could not find it..

Thank you very much!!

Rick

centuryseries
April 7th, 2009, 11:29
Surely got to be copyright issues there!!

Shylock
April 7th, 2009, 11:56
I did one of the Blue Angels engine start up for my FSX music. Sounds pretty cool when FSX starts up you hear the Hornets APU purring to life.

gera
April 7th, 2009, 12:30
This is pretty cool, over at Simviation there’s a download to replace the irritating music which plays when you open FSX (although I have it turned off, up until now!) with two pieces of music from the film Topgun:
http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?type=item&ID=69&page=3 (http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?type=item&ID=69&page=3)
<o:p></o:p>
Perfect for flying a planeload of rubber dog s**t out of <st1:place w:st="on">Hong Kong</st1:place>, Goose! :wave:
Regards,
Ian.

You can place "any Music .WAV file" in the Sound directory and change intro music as much as you want....I have Al di La on Fridays, Alrividerci Roma on Sundays and change two or three times a week.....:Banane33:

Dangerousdave26
April 7th, 2009, 12:50
Surely got to be copyright issues there!!

Clearly this is a Copyright infringement.

I am surprised it is on Simviations Website.

guzler
April 7th, 2009, 13:31
I've had it for a while, love it. Gets the adrenalin going before I take sim flight in my microlight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Navy Chief
April 7th, 2009, 13:49
Top Gun is one of my favorite movies, but I do have to say that the "theme" song from that movie does get old, when you hear it with flight sim videos on a constant basis!!!!

NC

papab
April 7th, 2009, 15:18
Clearly this is a Copyright infringement.

I am surprised it is on Simviations Website.

How?

BananaBob
April 7th, 2009, 16:19
How?

I'd like to know too, as he is not charging anything for this? If he is guilty, than I'm a hundred times worse. LOL :173go1:

Dangerousdave26
April 7th, 2009, 19:16
How?

The two songs in the DL at SimVee are complete RIPs of songs from the 1986 Top Gun Sound Track released by Columbia Records now owned by Sony Records. In order for music to be in the Public Domain it must be older than 1922. The original Law called for anything older than 75 years that was not renewed to automatically fall into the Public Domain. In 1998 the law was changed to 95 years so no more music will fall into the public domain until 2019. With that in mind we know these two works are copy written material.

Way back in the early days of Windows Media Player the first time you went to RIP music from a CD it would prompt you to apply or not apply Media Copy rights to the files. In a nut shell it would apply a license to any .wav file that it created. You could only play the music on a PC that had these licenses installed. This protected MS from any copyright violations that may happen because you chose to use Media Rights or you chose not to. If you chose to use them it protected you also.

The two files in the DL are Danger Zone renamed to FSX01.wav and the Top Gun Theme song renamed to FSX02.wav. They play in media player the whole song with out a problem. They have not been modified in any other way. Just a simple RIP and rename the file, anyone can do this. The description states Compatible with FSX ONLY but it is still just a standard .wav file which makes it compatible with many Media Players as a plain old digital music file.

I know someone is going to call on "Fair Use (http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html)" <---click

Take some time and read on it there are a lot of requirements that must be met in order for something to qualify as fair use. One of the requirements is you can not charge for it another is you can not affect the market.

The distinction between “fair use” and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission.

The author of this package does not credit Sony Records, Columbia Records or the preforming artisists. Nor does he included permission from any of the above. Yet he grants anyone the right to distribute the files freely as long as he is given credit.

All of this is dangerous ground. There is no difference in hosting files this way and porviding these files via P2P software you are still sharing copy written material. If you don't agree with that statement try this test. Create a Website and host all of your RIP'd music on it. Make them
accessible to any user on the web. How long will your site be up and at what cost? Is this Illegal File sharing?

My point really was I was surprised that Simviation had these files on their site. Even the thumbnail is the album cover which also has to be copy written material. In the few months that this file has been on their site it has had 7367 down loads. Lets just say these songs can be purchased on Itunes. I don't have Itunes but from what I can see on Apples site each song can cost as much as $1.29 per down load (yes that is the high side) Thats over $14,000.00 in revenu lost to Itunes with a good portion of that going to Sony (or what ever digital music service they use).

Lets go back to Fair use as this is the only way you could fight a law suit that would be brought against you if you were SimVee.

the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Clearly a lose of $14,000.00 is large and this alone should disqualify the "Fair Uses" defense.

Lets look at this from another angle forget that it is Music the files in question are old FS airplanes that are Payware still. They have not been released as freeware. Along comes another developer who gets their hands on this package and likes the VSI gauge but it is the old .gau format and they want to convert them to xml gauges. So they pull out the bmp files and reworkd the gauge to xml. The gauges are part of the whole package and covered under the same software copyright. Just because someone converted the file is it now theirs to distribute freely with out asking permission from the Payware Developer?

Are any of you willing to host this new FS VSI Gauge on your server?

You may disagree with me but that is my two cents and more.

I think the best thing that SOH can do is distance the site / us from these files.

I have already deleted the files from my PC.

rwmarth
April 7th, 2009, 20:34
For the love of Goose already.... Apparently, the use of the Top Gun theme is the ultimate demise of the music industry.

Bjoern
April 8th, 2009, 08:38
Let me guess..."Danger Zone" and that anthem featuring that stupid guitar solo? :a1451:

The only valid version of both of these songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5IctS5xpiU (ignore the announcer)

Top Gun is a real love-hate movie for me. Excellent aerial cinematography and sometimes composition paired with unnecessary filler scenes and logic holes.

Also, one of the coolest intro for the credits ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw95w0WFqA0

Sadly Youtube doesn't have my favourite scene of them all: The early morning takeoff from Miramar with "Danger Zone" blasting in the background, right between the making-out scene at the harbour and that dogfight against those three A-4s.

And, as a notable exception to the rule, I prefer this movie in the german dubbed version from VHS (recorded from TV) instead of the english DVD version. Must be those childhood memories, LoL.

- Edit: Trailer with some deleted scenes anyone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb2UY2reOZc

gera
April 8th, 2009, 08:46
>LOl............................lol-------------------LOL....................................hahahahahah ahahahah........................

djscoo
April 8th, 2009, 10:22
>LOl............................lol-------------------LOL....................................hahahahahah ahahahah........................
I can't venture to guess what you mean by that post, but piracy is not a laughing matter...

6297J
April 8th, 2009, 10:28
Track two went straight on my mp3 player - thank you!

Lateral-G
April 8th, 2009, 10:36
- Edit: Trailer with some deleted scenes anyone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb2UY2reOZc

I remember that trailer. I was disappointed when the music from the Cars wasn't included....

-G-

Mr.Mugel
April 8th, 2009, 10:38
The soundtrack of this movie was the 2nd CD I ever bought, I loved the movie and the soundtrack as a child, and I still like both, and I´ll put it into the player now...

Watch this one too (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekXxi9IKZSA), I find it quite amusing!

gera
April 8th, 2009, 11:52
I can't venture to guess what you mean by that post, but piracy is not a laughing matter...

Little friend, you are right about piracy, but extremes Are!!!!!!......LOL......:173go1:

harleyman
April 8th, 2009, 11:55
Guys...i don't know the issues at hand here actually..Most lawyers probably don't as there are more than likely a million holes in this to persue...

So I think its smart to just can it.....

Thank you for sharing the info for us though..Its just a tad , ummmm,, whaterever it is........