PDA

View Full Version : RAF Drem Lighting Comes to ETO

O-1Driver
April 5th, 2009, 17:24
The ETO team continues to bring you more stuff to increase the immersion and fun factor for you. Below you will see a series of screenshots showing the new RAF Drem lighting system developed by Clive and Bob.

The Drem lighting system was developed by the RAF to reduce the substantial operational losses that they were suffering during night and inclement weather operations. The Drem lighting employed very bright approach lights laid out in a curving approach that would lead the pilot to the runway threshold. The curved concept allowed the pilot to keep the approach lights in sight despite the large nose and blind spots inherent in WW II aircraft designs. The British also employed the curved landing approach in carrier operations.

The approach lights were bright enough to be seen from a good distance and bright enough to be visible despite the glare from engine exhaust and interior lighting. The runway edge marker lights were lower intensity and only visible at close distance and landing approach angle.

The ETO Drem lighting system designed by Clive and Bob is historically accurate and will come in two setups. One will be airfield specific "overlays" that will be added for night missions and a free standing curved Drem light facility that can be placed along side any airfield.

Below you will see screenshots of the Drem lights installed at Friston and a Mossie making a curved approach keeping the lights in sight .

For years "Nay Sayers" have always said that WW II airfields were never lighted and it is simply not true. Without lighting the operational losses would have exceeded the combat losses 10 to 1.

We will shortly be releasing a comprehensive package complete with the Drem lighting system along with some night missions that will knock your socks off, you want intensity well it is on the way.:woot:

In addition to the Drem lighting Rob is putting the finishing touches on a new Lancaster armed with his new and improved incendiaries.

O-1 and the ETO Team

O-1Driver
April 5th, 2009, 17:26
Four more shots, you can see the Mossie picking up the curved approach lights and following them in. Just like the real deal gentlemen!!

O-1

pachi
April 5th, 2009, 17:33
:jawdrop: WOW!! simply stunning work guys, thanks a lot can't wait to have these lights help me land :applause::ernae:

O-1Driver
April 5th, 2009, 17:36
The RAF used passcodes from the aircraft to activate the lights or other predetermined signals as the lights were normally off except during takeoff and landings.

Now James, I have no idea what system the Germans used but Historical accounts are full of British pilots observing lighted airfields recovering German aircraft.

I will tell you that there will be at least one "Night Intruder Mission" where a heavily armed German night fighter finds a British airfield recovering aircraft at night in the rain.

O-1

NachtPiloten
April 6th, 2009, 05:33
In addition to the Drem lighting Rob is putting the finishing touches on a new Lancaster armed with his new and improved incendiaries.

What is new about this one? I hope that these are not duplicates of the 8 or so that I am planning on releasing for TOW. :173go1:

Please let me know what you are doing so I can check. :gossip:

The right hand should know what the left hand is doing... :faint:

O-1Driver
April 6th, 2009, 06:02

What is new about this one? I hope that these are not duplicates of the 8 or so that I am planning on releasing for TOW. :173go1:

Please let me know what you are doing so I can check. :gossip:

The right hand should know what the left hand is doing... :faint:

Ted, I am putting the effects on the bombs for Rob, and I think he is building these for you and James.:wave:

You will need to check with him on how you guys are going to release them. I will be sending the finished weapons to Rob this week.

Steve

mongoose
April 6th, 2009, 15:13
The RAF used passcodes from the aircraft to activate the lights or other predetermined signals as the lights were normally off except during takeoff and landings.

Now James, I have no idea what system the Germans used but Historical accounts are full of British pilots observing lighted airfields recovering German aircraft.

I will tell you that there will be at least one "Night Intruder Mission" where a heavily armed German night fighter finds a British airfield recovering aircraft at night in the rain.

O-1

I will check but believe also that the lights came on only on the final approach of the nachtjaeger ac.

kdriver
August 8th, 2011, 07:39
Hi Folks,

I've been out of the CFS 3 world for a few years and am now catching up with the latest downloads.

Where can I find the Drem Lighting?

Thankyou,

Kevin

HouseHobbit
August 8th, 2011, 13:16
Too Cool, Bravo Guys..
Thanks for this great effects set up..

:applause: :applause: :applause:

lewis11777
August 8th, 2011, 16:57
Steve I can not see the pics you posted, only little white boxes with red x's in them?????

:isadizzy:

popsaka
August 8th, 2011, 19:16
...lucky you! I wasn't even blessed with little boxes :(

Led Zeppelin
August 9th, 2011, 03:14
pictures are not visible because it is a 2009 thread.

lewis11777
August 9th, 2011, 14:10
Just realized that, so did these effects ever make it into production or are these still in the works?