PDA

View Full Version : WW II Airfield Lighting

O-1Driver
April 4th, 2009, 07:19
Airfield lighting was used extensively during WW II by Germany, the British and US. The lighting was essential for the safe recovery of bombers and fighters at night and in bad weather. The Drem Lighting system was the standard for RAF fields and consisted of bright curved approach lights along with low intensity runway edge lighting with red threshold markers.

The German airfields had runway lights and used a green lamp to signal "safe to land" as did the RAF and US.

I will be putting together a package of missions to upload here on SOH that are based on night operations with night fighter interceptions over German airfields as in the screenshot below and RAF sorties in bad weather and night recovery and landings.

The airfield lighting for ETO is already included but not built in to the facilities as it would stay on all the time which would not be acceptable.

Should have the mission pack up by the end of next week. I am going to see if Clive can make me a simple curved light facility using my bright white approach lights that we can add to any airfield for a night mission.

O-1

popsaka
April 4th, 2009, 07:50
Perhaps the effect(s) could be 'mission specific'? (is that what you mean?)

...also, would it not be b i t c h i n g or 'bitchin' as it were, to have a signal flare on take-off ala '12 O'clock High'?

O-1Driver
April 4th, 2009, 07:54
Perhaps the effect(s) could be 'mission specific'? (is that what you mean?)

...also, would it not be b i t c h i n g or 'bitchin' as it were, to have a signal flare on take-off ala '12 O'clock High'?

Pop, you already have the takeoff signal flare in ETO. I placed it in most of the missions I built. It is green but there is also a red and yellow one available.

O-1

O-1Driver
April 4th, 2009, 08:16
[QUOTE=popsaka;151923]Perhaps the effect(s) could be 'mission specific'? (is that what you mean?)

In one of the missions you will arrive over a Luftwaffe airfield that has turned on their runway lights and catch a "spawn" of JU-52s taking off. The spawn is an airfield takeoff spawn. I may name the mission "Night Turkey Shoot".:woot:

O-1