PDA

View Full Version : the miracle of life/bengal kittens

tigisfat
April 2nd, 2009, 22:33
After years of shopping and applying, I purchased my breeding pair of bengal cats. For those unfamiliar, Bengals are hybrids of Asian Leopards and domestic cats. Now they breed Bengals back into Asian Leopard lines.

This was a long and deliberate process, they are the first animals I've ever owned that were allowed the luxury of keeping their reproductive parts. My first litter was born on March 1st, and it won't be long until they're ready to go to their homes. This has been an incredible and rewarding experience that I'd like to share with you guys. Enclosed is the process starting from day one. One picture is actually during birthing. The three with blue sheets are from yesterday. The others are various stops along the way.

I must say it because I find it embarassing: in pic 2, the dirty towels are there because you cannot clean the nest in the days immediately following the birth or the mother might abandon the kittens.

Wulf190
April 2nd, 2009, 22:39
Cute little rascals....

I hope they have some feisty in um!:woot:

tigisfat
April 2nd, 2009, 22:42
Cute little rascals....

I hope they have some feisty in um!:woot:

They do but they don't. They are more intelligent than your average every day cat, and more active, but selective breeding programs have ensured that super-premium bengals have awesome personalities to go with their looks. It's a difficult process because Asian Leopards have HORRIBLE personalities.

6297J
April 2nd, 2009, 23:38
They look beautiful but I like my cats to be super affectionate and tactile.
Do they climb on the bed and purr and paw you to death in the morning or do they jump off and run away if you pick them up and put them on your lap?

6297J
April 2nd, 2009, 23:41
They look beautiful but I like my cats to be super affectionate and tactile.
Do they climb on the bed and purr and paw you to death in the morning or do they jump off and run away if you pick them up and put them on your lap?

Sorry, I answered my own question (i want one!) -

But fear not - there is some peace to be had! Perhaps fortunately, the flip side of Bengal behaviour is that for much of the time, Bengals go to the other extreme, and become total softies. They flop over and roll on their backs in ecstasy, come up to you and nuzzle your face, purring wildly, then finally curl up into happy little balls and fall fast asleep. They genuinely crave affection and will spend many happy hours resting piled up on top of you purring. They will wake you in the night, rubbing their head against you and paddling happily on the covers with their paws, then sleep silently with you till morning. They have ridiculous stretchy moods when they roll and writhe around on their backs in a most uninhibited manner. This makes a lovely complement to the Bengal’s energetic moments.

From here - http://www.bengalcat.co.uk/pet/character/index.htm (http://www.bengalcat.co.uk/pet/character/index.htm)

sandar
April 3rd, 2009, 00:15
I have to say I have a soft spot for Bengal cats, or perhaps I should say I did have a soft spot until I met one.

Following a quick stroke of an eleven month old Bengal I found myself bleeding profusely all over the cat owners rather ridiculously cream coloured carpet.

I think I will stick to my one eyed, neutered male who allergic to fleas and his nemesis, a paranoid schizophrenic, also a neutered male, who is scared witless of his own shadow. Suppose it serves us right for getting a couple of elderly cats from a rescue centre when our 15 years old cat died from a disease called acromegally.

tigisfat
April 3rd, 2009, 00:21
I apologize if I offend someone, but a Bengal with an attitude/people attacking problem is one that should never have been born. The heritage of and plans for this budding breed demand strict personality guidelines. Quite a few bengal breeders are guilty of breeding animals with horrid personalities to turn a profit. Any animal that is less than classy should be spayed/neutered and live out it's life with someone who can appreciate it, no matter how good looking it is. My male is a big softy-he's never sprayed and probably never will, and he's never hurt anything. He's actually nicer than your average (non-bengal) cat; he's the result of a superior pedigree from a top breeding program. It took a concentrated effort and quite a few dollars just to be allowed to purchase him.

If you're shopping for a bengal, beware of animals with horrible perosnalities, and also beware of cats that will grow up and look plain.

sandar
April 3rd, 2009, 01:03
Tigisfat, In defence of the cat that drew my blood, it was one of two owned by a friend of a friend. I had never met either of the couple before. The 'savage' cat was being held by the owner and purring rapturously, even when it was raking my wrist and opening a vein (hence the copious amount of blood). The owner didn't help matters either when he snatched the cat away while his claws were still embedded in my wrist.

I was severely savaged by a feral cat some time before. No idea of 'pedigree', but it was silver with black blotches rather than spots or stripes. The poor little thing was caught in an illegal gin trap on a farm. The police never did find who set it, but I released it, took it to the vet, who managed to save his leg, which was broken and open to the bone. Then, following first aid from the veterinary nurse, I went to hospital and had eight stitches and an anti-biotic injection. I also received a vet bill for nearly £700 and this was in the mid 1970's. I didn't have to pay it,the treatment was paid for by an animal welfare charity.
The cat was re-homed and became the most affectionate cat, except to me. A soon as it saw me, its hackles rose, it hissed and spat and swiped at me. No gratitude for saving its life.

Collin
April 3rd, 2009, 01:09
So how much for the kittens when they are old enough Tigisfat?

regards Collin:ernae:

wombat666
April 3rd, 2009, 03:23
Handsome cats!
I'll stick with the 'Scottish Fold' when it comes to cats.
My mother has a pair (Tilda and Swinton ....... I named them.:whistle:) who hang out with the Beagle Brigade and never have a problem, same goes for the 'Hounds'.
It's all in the upbringing ............................ :jump:

d0mokun
April 3rd, 2009, 03:33
Jees, they are awesome little kattens. I don't know how well my Melch would get on with one though.

GT182
April 3rd, 2009, 04:19
Beautiful cats Tig.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/Thumbup.gif I want one too.... ahhhh, make that two. But I bet they are exxxxpensive. :rolleyes:

Snuffy
April 3rd, 2009, 06:00
I'm alergic already. ... :faint:

cute otherwise ...

cheezyflier
April 3rd, 2009, 06:08
I'm alergic already. ... :faint:

cute otherwise ...

+1 here.
:costumes:

tigisfat
April 3rd, 2009, 08:42
+1 here.
:costumes:

negative!! They have a completely different coat of fur than normal cats. They have more of a soft pelt. All the things for people to be allergic to are gone. That, and they shed less.

tigisfat
April 3rd, 2009, 08:43
Beautiful cats Tig.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/Thumbup.gif I want one too.... ahhhh, make that two. But I bet they are exxxxpensive. :rolleyes:

My prices after this litter will be 2,000 and up; but right now and for this litter only I'm leting them go for 500 dollars/pounds without breeding rights. I need to make some positive references and make a name for myself.

Here's a pic of the coolest cat ever, my male:

Craig Taylor
April 3rd, 2009, 10:05
negative!! They have a completely different coat of fur than normal cats. They have more of a soft pelt. All the things for people to be allergic to are gone. That, and they shed less.

I think cat allergies are triggered by an protein in the cat's saliva, which gets transferred to the fur when they clean themselves. At least that's the way it is with my wife. She used to break out in hives if they licked or drooled on her, but has been taking injections for a few years now (not just for cats -- she's allergic to everything to some degree) and no longer reacts.

She used to get a shot a week in each arm, which covered all the bases (cats, dogs, trees, grasses, molds, etc.). Now she's built up some immunity and only has to go every other week.

If the bengals don't have that particular protein in their saliva, that would be great!

Edit: Beautiful cats, by the way!

tigisfat
April 3rd, 2009, 10:23
I dunno, but hairless cats are frequently owned by people with raging allergies. I know a girl in that situation. The woman where I got my male was like your wife. She got into bengals because they didn't set her off.

GT182
April 3rd, 2009, 10:29
Good luck Tigs, with gorgeous cats like those you'll do fine. There's no way could I afford 2, let alone one. ;)

Craig Taylor
April 3rd, 2009, 10:34
I've seen on TV that hairless cats are supposed to be washed frequently, and that can go a long way to keeping the saliva protein under control. Maybe they groom less, too. We used to wash ours once a month but they'd just groom themselves right after so it kind've defeated the purpose.

Toastmaker
April 3rd, 2009, 16:16
Great looking kittens. They'll be beautiful felines !!

:applause:

smoores
April 3rd, 2009, 17:00
I got an Bengal cat last summer, and they are smart! Your kitten's spots are much more defined than mine.
congratulations!

tigisfat
April 3rd, 2009, 22:52
You guys wouldn't believe how many calls I've got from wacko Texans asking for a male and a female FROM THE SAME LITTER so they can start breeding them.

Piglet
April 4th, 2009, 00:51
$2000 for a frakkin' kitten?!? Even $500 sounds steep.
The shelters are full of nice kittens, all waiting to be adopted.

GT182
April 4th, 2009, 05:49
Tim, maybe those in the shelters cats don't have spots. ;)

I can't stand going to a shelter and seeing all those cats and dogs penned up. It's heart breaking knowing I can't take them all home and save them. It makes me sick to know their fate, and I leave faster than I walked in. Yeah, I'm an old softie when it comes down to it.

tigisfat
April 4th, 2009, 06:47
$2000 for a frakkin' kitten?!? Even $500 sounds steep.
The shelters are full of nice kittens, all waiting to be adopted.

As strongly as I believe in controlling the pet population, I also strongly believe that the heritage and good health of purebred animals must be maintained. Too many of our world's beautiful and unique dog and cat breeds have been (in) and cross bred to the point of bad health problems and lost type.

Like I've mentioned, the breed is difficult to produce because it starts as hybrid with Asian Leopards, which produce infertile offspring (different species) with horrible personalities. One of this breed's hallmarks is their incredible personality. It costs a lot of time and money, and someone must take care of all the bengals not fit to reproduce, and the ones uncapable.

well, let's hope they do in fact invent a non-surgical spay/neuter drug. It will be tons easier, and people like us can donate to funds and organizations which perform the procedure on stray animals.

MCDesigns
April 4th, 2009, 12:59
Adorable kittens, I love cats!

That Bengal cat would probably tear my Himalayan (Isabelle) up if I put them together, but would love to have one.

Good luck with the breeding and the sales.

tigisfat
April 4th, 2009, 15:12
Nah, they won't tear anything up. I just got back from Petsmart with my male, and we also visited at a buddy's house. He's got two cats, and they got along as well as cats that are strangers can. He ate some of their food though. My girlfriend is the manager there, so he gets to check out the birds and dunk his arm in the fishtanks.

wombat666
April 4th, 2009, 19:03
You guys wouldn't believe how many calls I've got from wacko Texans asking for a male and a female FROM THE SAME LITTER so they can start breeding them.

Probably why there are so many 'Wacko Texans' ....... :friday:

tigisfat
April 4th, 2009, 21:13
Probably why there are so many 'Wacko Texans' ....... :friday:

So true, oh wise one.