PDA

View Full Version : Tank Busting Mossie

O-1Driver
April 2nd, 2009, 09:22
Very late today or maybe tomorrow I will be uploading a tank busting mission featuring the ETO Mossie XVIII. In the mission pack I will include a revised 57mm Molins shell. The revised weapon has improved effects and realistic damage. The shell now leaves a visible impact when you miss and hit the ground with a burned area and smoke.

The aircraft XPD remains unchanged the only change is to the weapon damage model and effects. The weapon name will remain the same.

This Mossie saw a lot of action against ground targets as well as shipping and has never received the attention it deserves. The 57mm Molins gun and shell also deserved better effects.

If you like Mossies you will love flying this model now armed with the new shell. Load it up with bombs and rockets and you have a real monster!!

O-1

ronnybengt
April 2nd, 2009, 09:26
great Steve....one thing though that this sim dont capture, is the hick ups this mother of guns often had.....it needed to be fired at a precice angel to work...it was awsome against subs to..

cheers m8 and KUDOS

R

grizzly50
April 2nd, 2009, 09:56
:kilroy:Bring it on, Steve. Can't wait! <Twitch twitch. Pant, pant. Drool, drool.> Oh! Sorry. (Could someone get me a mop, please...and a "Slippery When Wet" sign? Thank you!):d

BeauBrummie
April 2nd, 2009, 11:05
In all my research on the Tsetse, I have never read about it being used this way, It's operators were 248 sqn and they were Coastal bods who ended up in the Banff wing. I thought that all the Mossie ground target work was done with guns, bombs or rockets. Who did use it this way? Any way it'd make a very good What If mission. This is very intriguing! BTW what happens if this modified Molins shoots into water? I concur about the recoil not being represented (or the shells rolling around the crews' feet), but then I've never felt that of 20mm either.

Beau

popsaka
April 2nd, 2009, 11:21
Yeah, I hope if Dangerous Dave and co. do a tsetse they model in that recoil:sniper:
...that'd be real neato!!:p:

O-1Driver
April 2nd, 2009, 11:25
Grizzley,

The new 57mm Molin gun and shell are on the internal FTP along with a test shipping mission.
You will notice a new tracer effect with the shell, a new realistic and accurate range and time alive. New explode effect when a shell this size hits and explodes on bare ground. A missed shell hit leaves a burned area and small smoke wisp. New shell/ship impact effects. You will not see a lot of brown dirt when a shell hits a ship now.

It takes three to five shells to sink a Destroyer less for cargos. The shell strength is bumped up from that of the German JU-88P gun and round which is about 50mm I think.

Steve

O-1Driver
April 2nd, 2009, 11:44
In all my research on the Tsetse, I have never read about it being used this way, It's operators were 248 sqn and they were Coastal bods who ended up in the Banff wing. I thought that all the Mossie ground target work was done with guns, bombs or rockets. Who did use it this way? Any way it'd make a very good What If mission. This is very intriguing! BTW what happens if this modified Molins shoots into water? I concur about the recoil not being represented (or the shells rolling around the crews' feet), but then I've never felt that of 20mm either.

Beau

Jeff, the mission will be set up prior to D-Day with the Mossie hitting Coastal targets in France. You will get an opportunity to sink ships in harbor and knock out coastal facilities with the bombs, rockets and 57mm gun. There will be some Tigers and Panthers that will "get in your way".

The 57mm does a nice job on ships and you can imagine what it does to a train or tank.

Steve

BeauBrummie
April 2nd, 2009, 11:57
You know Steve I could easily get a man crush thing here:faint:

O-1Driver
April 2nd, 2009, 12:02
Jeff, with a little practice I am able to hit the ships at a pretty good range now. The new tracer/fireball is bright orange/yellow and creates a medium size splash if it hits the water. On dirt it leaves a burned area and light smoke.

Steve

BeauBrummie
April 2nd, 2009, 12:13
Blimey Steve that's excellent shooting. Though I do find the Mossie a very stable weapons platform.

popsaka
April 2nd, 2009, 19:00
Yeah, if the stock mossie had bigger wheels/tires and the under carriage
wasn't so 'stilty' lookin' t'wouldn't be 1/2 bad...:friday:

grizzly50
April 2nd, 2009, 19:24

Beau

:kilroy:Jeff, I haven't been able to find anything about Mk XVIII's being used in this manner, either. However, I did find that were originally intended for that role, but the perfection of the 25-lb rockets simply overrode that project, due to simpler modification of the aircraft for the use of the rockets instead.

I have found several different sources that stated that the number Mk XVIII's built was somewhere between 17 & 27. They were all then "handed down" to Coastal Command for anti-ship use.

One more little detail. There were also plans for the installation of the 32-pounder (modified 3.7" AA gun) with the addition of a very special "spiraled" muzzle brake that vented the gases both backward and in the opposite direction of prop rotation for greater recoil reduction and stability control. My research had found that, although this gun was never actually installed, it and its muzzle brake were tested by use of a sled-type arrangement and that it passed the test. The war ended before it was actually installed on the aircraft.

It would have been really nice to know if it really worked without destroying the plane.:d

BeauBrummie
April 3rd, 2009, 01:23
Just thought you'd like to see this chaps

QndLmfp6Y5w

Beau

popsaka
April 3rd, 2009, 03:40
Its comforting to see a few of those aces fire their rockets... and have 'em miss- utterly-- (just like moi) :p:

O-1Driver
April 3rd, 2009, 04:32
Fantastic video Jeff!

Steve

BeauBrummie
April 3rd, 2009, 05:07
Thanks Steve.

Its comforting to see a few of those aces fire their rockets... and have 'em miss- utterly-- (just like moi) :p:

Actually from what I've read accuracy with the rockets after training was around 30%. Obviously this would rise with experience, but would answer why most films show them launching all the rockets at a target, when in the game I tend to launch just in pairs or in 4's. Tactics also developed, like Beaufighters learning that the most effective method to sink ships was to have the rockets hit water just before the ship so as to explode under the water line. The Molins was far more accurate, but as Griz said earlier rockets didn't need a lot of modificatation to the aircraft.

PS There's more vids on mossies in action on my website.

Beau