PDA

View Full Version : RE: Sidewinder FF 2 controller has stop working

brad kaste
March 25th, 2009, 07:50
Hi All,
For some reason my MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 controller has stopped working. Or I should say my computer does not recognize it anymore.
It worked fine last night. No changes were made to the computer other than running CC cleaner before turning the computer off for the evening. This morning,.....nada. No soft green light glow from the FF 2 controller. I checked the UBS cord and the power cord. Both snugly pushed in. Even ran a power extension cord to the controller thinking it might be in the power tap. No. Still nothing
XP has always/automatically recognized the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 unit. So I've never had to download the CD-Rom software that comes with the unit. Until now.
Unfortunately,....the software installation program will only run it to 99% installed then stops. Period. I tried four times with no luck or success. I tried using the computer's Installation Wizard which didn't help or change things either.
Before I forget,....during the attempted installation I get a window stating the Microsoft can't officially recognize this software for the hardware installation. So I download an update from MS in order for this software to be recognized. Nope. Didn't make a differance. LOL.
Next, I get the bright idea of seeing if my 'back-up' MS FF 2 Sidewinder unit might to the trick. I hook up that one and yep,....still the same. Both dead as a dodo and not showing any life, light, or response.
My last resort is to go back and use the computer's 'system restore' since the controller was working just fine yesterday. For right now,...I want to hold off in doing that. So, for some reason...maybe it's in the settings somewhere within the computer?...the true and trusty Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 controller has gone dysfuntional.
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
-Brad
p.s.,...I had gone into the settings/control panel and clicked open the Game Controller icon. It doesn't show that the SW FF2 is within the computer system. Just blank. As if it was never installed. Going into advanced button steps did not help either.

CH_OldZeke
March 25th, 2009, 08:03
Have you tryed it in a different usb port? Are your other usb devices working properly?
IMO if you tried 2 dift sidewinders with no joy it's likely not the sticks. And, unless a windows update did something the sidewinder should work without the software installed.

brad kaste
March 25th, 2009, 08:16
Hi Ch,....yes,...in fact I tried two other usb ports. One on top of the unit and one on the back.
The window update I installed was done after the fact sort to speak. Both controllers showed no life,...by trying different approaches,...before I installed the update from MS. Didn't make a difference before or after. The software disk was rejected for what ever reason.......