PDA

View Full Version : Alienware to close?

kilo delta
March 25th, 2009, 04:13
http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0325/dell.html

rhumbaflappy
March 25th, 2009, 05:42
So this is what happened:

Alienware does an excellent business building specialty PCs.
Dell smells their profit and buys them out.
Alinware profits go belly up.. and Dell takes the remaining production and ships it overseas.

Looks like a good business plan to me. Makes as much sense as tract home builders in Florida importing drywall from China... yes, drywall.

Dick

GT182
March 25th, 2009, 05:51
:amen: Alienware was too overpriced anyways. IMO you could build a better computer for less than their ridiculous prices, and without the fancy ugly case.

Kiwikat
March 25th, 2009, 07:13
:amen: Alienware was too overpriced anyways. IMO you could build a better computer for less than their ridiculous prices, and without the fancy ugly case.

Not just your opinion or an opinion in general. It is a widely established fact that alienware (and indeed any branded computer) is stupidly overpriced. :kilroy:

Buddha13
March 25th, 2009, 09:37
Hi all,
From some of the reviews I have read in the UK magazines for Alienware products.The have inferred that build quality appears to have gone down as the prices have gone up.
Dell already had their own gaming systems.The XPS range so it really was inevitable that they would be shut down.It is called getting rid of the opposition.
That and the global recession which has really slowed down people spending money on luxuary items has not helped.

Buddha13

kilo delta
March 25th, 2009, 10:46
From my understanding of the situation...Dell may be discontinuing the XPS brand and the Alienware brand will become Dell's high performance/gaming marque.

GT182
March 25th, 2009, 12:22
I don't buy Dell or any other brand of computer. I build my own like many do. More bang for the buck by doing that. Ask Ted and Moe..... I think they'll say the same thing.

I do have to admit tho, I don't own a laptop. :d

Lionheart
March 25th, 2009, 16:01
Rats.....

I wanted an Alienware. Brilliant looking computers. The Lamborghini of laptops. Probably so powerful, it could run FSX at 60FPS on battery power, lol...

Rotten of Dell...

Like what ford did to Land Rover. Buy it, take its best execs and designs, then sell it to TaTa... Trashing the name, desolving the company, taking all the work from the people in Manchester...

Bill

GT182
March 25th, 2009, 16:51
It's funny. When I built this computer I checked the Alienware's specs on a few of theirs. When I finished with mine, it was more potent than theirs. The only thing I lacked was a top end graphics card. But back then prices were higher for graphics. I bought a GF5900Ultra 256 256 bit card where they were putting in 6800 512s. And I had a bigger HD than they did in some of theirs. LOL They were getting 3 to 4 grand, and more, for theirs and I built mine for 1500.00, including a 19" LCD monitor. They were only giving out 17s IIRC.

To this day, when I go into a store that sells computers, I stand there reading the box and pick them apart. They are actually, still to this day, selling proprietary crap. Key word being proprietary. ;) That's why they're so cheap..... throwaways. The best part of some of them is only the widescreen monitor.

Cazzie
March 25th, 2009, 17:48
It's funny. When I built this computer I checked the Alienware's specs on a few of theirs. When I finished with mine, it was more potent than theirs. The only thing I lacked was a top end graphics card. But back then prices were higher for graphics. I bought a GF5900Ultra 256 256 bit card where they were putting in 6800 512s. And I had a bigger HD than they did in some of theirs. LOL They were getting 3 to 4 grand, and more, for theirs and I built mine for 1500.00, including a 19" LCD monitor. They were only giving out 17s IIRC.

To this day, when I go into a store that sells computers, I stand there reading the box and pick them apart. They are actually, still to this day, selling proprietary crap. Key word being proprietary. ;) That's why they're so cheap..... throwaways. The best part of some of them is only the widescreen monitor.

Not to mention that DELL and every other brand name computer retailer stocks the HD with so many bloatware programs one does not need. Building one's own eliminates that crap and one installs only what one wishes to install.

I do the same GT182, I walk into a retail computer store and look at the prices and shake my head. I build mine for $1200.00 Yankee from items purchased separate at Tiger Direct. Easily would cost $3000.00 if I got it retail and would have all the aforementioned crap too.

Caz

FengZ
March 25th, 2009, 17:52
Rats.....

I wanted an Alienware. Brilliant looking computers. The Lamborghini of laptops. Probably so powerful, it could run FSX at 60FPS on battery power, lol...

Yup, Alienware is extremely fast. I got one after seeing my friend's laptop, who was running games like Crisis and Farcry 2 at butter smooth FPS hovering in the 80-100fps - it's pretty insane. The laptop i have is more powerful than my huge tower-sized desktops.

the downside is that they are expensive. I wouldn't recommend them for desktops (just copy their specs and build one yourself), but for laptops, they are hard to beat.

i haven't installed FSX on my laptop yet, but so far, FS9 runs between 90-120fps w/ everything maxed, including 100% AI at busy airports. This laptop just doesn't get slowed down by anything....it almost feels like it's taking a nap while running these high-end games (saying..."this is all you got?")

ps. for bloatware, if you just call their sales department directly, and ask them to install a clean version of windows XP, they will (they rather make a sale and get the commission right?). Mine came super clean....not a single software besides stock XP Pro and updated drivers.

-feng

MCDesigns
March 25th, 2009, 18:34
It is understood that Alienware's products will be made in Dell's new manufacturing facilities in the future. These are set to be located in Poland.

I can't be the only one that is really bothered by this statement. We need to be manufacturing more, not outsourcing more. :a1451:ing :stop: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lionheart
March 25th, 2009, 20:31
Yup, Alienware is extremely fast. I got one after seeing my friend's laptop, who was running games like Crisis and Farcry 2 at butter smooth FPS hovering in the 80-100fps - it's pretty insane. The laptop i have is more powerful than my huge tower-sized desktops.

the downside is that they are expensive. I wouldn't recommend them for desktops (just copy their specs and build one yourself), but for laptops, they are hard to beat.

i haven't installed FSX on my laptop yet, but so far, FS9 runs between 90-120fps w/ everything maxed, including 100% AI at busy airports. This laptop just doesn't get slowed down by anything....it almost feels like it's taking a nap while running these high-end games (saying..."this is all you got?")

ps. for bloatware, if you just call their sales department directly, and ask them to install a clean version of windows XP, they will (they rather make a sale and get the commission right?). Mine came super clean....not a single software besides stock XP Pro and updated drivers.

-feng

Dang.. So you have one then..

I guess I'll be looking for one used then.

The main thing was to get a Laptop as its so difficult to get a laptop that can do that hard of games.... They are usually custom built, whereas desktops are all modular.

Lionheart
March 25th, 2009, 20:32
I can't be the only one that is really bothered by this statement. We need to be manufacturing more, not outsourcing more. :a1451:ing :stop: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep! Very true. Thats why America was so powerful in WWII. We were self contained. We manufactured everything...

Bill

FengZ
March 25th, 2009, 23:23
Dang.. So you have one then..

I guess I'll be looking for one used then.

The main thing was to get a Laptop as its so difficult to get a laptop that can do that hard of games.... They are usually custom built, whereas desktops are all modular.

Alienware's laptops/desktops are pretty much custom build for games in mind. They have crazy stuff like SLI-video cards; in a laptop! Also you can get fast Raid 15,000rpm harddrives, etc. All this is complete over-kill for applications such as Photoshop or 3D MAX. But for games, it's a huge benefit. It also runs pretty cool and almost noiseless...(my HP dv8000 laptop was so laud and gets super hot on the upper left side of the keyboard)

This laptop also comes with a DVI out at native res (1920x1200), so i connect that to a second 23" apple cinema display(which is also native 1920x1200). It's pretty much a desktop replacement with this type of setup.

It's sad to hear that they are closing it down. But these days, it's hard to keep this type of stuff in the market. Pricing is soooo low for high-end PCs now, so i'm sure their sales are down dramatically. It makes sense to cut the company instead of pumping more into it. Take their tech and put them into Dells...

-feng

Lionheart
March 26th, 2009, 00:28
Alienware's laptops/desktops are pretty much custom build for games in mind. They have crazy stuff like SLI-video cards; in a laptop! Also you can get fast Raid 15,000rpm harddrives, etc. All this is complete over-kill for applications such as Photoshop or 3D MAX. But for games, it's a huge benefit. It also runs pretty cool and almost noiseless...(my HP dv8000 laptop was so laud and gets super hot on the upper left side of the keyboard)

This laptop also comes with a DVI out at native res (1920x1200), so i connect that to a second 23" apple cinema display(which is also native 1920x1200). It's pretty much a desktop replacement with this type of setup.

It's sad to hear that they are closing it down. But these days, it's hard to keep this type of stuff in the market. Pricing is soooo low for high-end PCs now, so i'm sure their sales are down dramatically. It makes sense to cut the company instead of pumping more into it. Take their tech and put them into Dells...

-feng

Roger that Feng.

By the way, I have the HP DV6000. Silver with white. Wild looking Laptop, but not the best performer. I also hate how much it weighs..

I will miss the Alien line of computers.. They were the leading edge.

Bill

kilo delta
March 26th, 2009, 02:25
I've a bunch of Alienware notebooks and PC's too. My current notebooks are top spec M9750 (sli'd cards, ssd, bluray etc) and I've also got a limited edition Star Wars Dark Side case upgraded with modern internals and a modded ALX ( fitted with Star Wars Light Side panels) water cooled case with koolance liquid cooling as a future project

m9750
http://regmedia.co.uk/2007/08/01/alienware_m9750_1.jpg
Star Wars Dark Side chassis

http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/1/4/6/starwars_dark_big.jpg

Star Wars Light Side chassis

http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/1/4/6/starwars_light_big.jpg

http://www.slashgear.com/alienware-releases-new-aurora-star-wars-edition-pcs-195819/

ALX chassis

http://www.mnpctech.3dpixelnet.com/picture_library/casemodblog_Alienware_paint2.jpg

txnetcop
March 26th, 2009, 04:57
Someone said ask Ted or Mike, OK here it is. Alienware builds one of the best laptops on the market for gaming. They run very cool and very fast. The graphics are outstanding.

As far as their box unit goes, I have yet to see one that I could not beat in speed, dependability, and gaming for half the cost. We test Alienware products at TechCorp and are always astounded at their ridiculous pricing after we have tested thier equipment. That used to hold true for Dell XPS but I have seen better pricing on XPS machines of late, but it is still cheaper to build your own.

With all the information availble in this forum there is no reason you cannot build a faster gamer for less money than the mfgs.
Ted

Lionheart
March 26th, 2009, 09:55
Dang, Kilo Delta!

I envy you!

:faint:

Bill

GT182
March 26th, 2009, 11:25
My God KD! I'd have a darned good downpayment for a new car with what you've got tied up in Alienware. ;)

Brian_Gladden
March 26th, 2009, 11:59
My God KD! I'd have a darned good downpayment for a new car with what you've got tied up in Alienware. ;)

Down payment.... Heck, I'd have me another car. (Most expensive vehicle I've ever owned was a $4,800 used Dodge Dakota.) I usually buy $1,000- $1,500 beaters and drive em' till they die, junk em' and get another.

That said, I wouldn't mind having one of those buttkicker laptops....

Brian