PDA

View Full Version : Need 2 FSX developers..

Prowler1111
March 23rd, 2009, 19:57
..To beta test a coming developerīs tool , directed to 3DSMAX8 (and move into MAX9) users,it makes the for some of us difficult to use command prompt window during model export and animations, tool is in beta process.
1st come 1st served..PM me for details
Thank guys!
Best regards
Prowler

Lionheart
March 23rd, 2009, 20:01
Rats.. I only have Gmax presently.

It must be a Maxscript?

They had one come out by a Japanese gentleman the other day that can select parts by their Material, which makes it very easy to select all parts in a material from an FS9 model and apply a new FSX Material to them. Speeds up the FSX conversion time by probably 2 days...

:d

Bill

krazycolin
March 23rd, 2009, 20:31
Rats.. I only have Gmax presently.

It must be a Maxscript?

They had one come out by a Japanese gentleman the other day that can select parts by their Material, which makes it very easy to select all parts in a material from an FS9 model and apply a new FSX Material to them. Speeds up the FSX conversion time by probably 2 days...

:d

Bill

If you don't mind, where is that one?

thanks,

KC

michael davies
March 24th, 2009, 00:16
Ron,

Well I use Max8, so if you still need someone to pull it apart and give it a hammering, just call. I've got two large carriers that I'm sure will kill it :).

I cant fathom why MS didnt make a tool for export, they never did for FS9 and the community relied on third party tools to helps us along, in FSx you get tools for every other function like animation managers and material editors but no export tool ?, with hind sight I think they ran out of budget, too bad for the rest of us.

There is a set up you can use that allows you to simply send the X file to a send to command and the rest is done, but it isnt the most intuative to set up, not for me it wasnt anyway.

Kindest

Michael

Lionheart
March 24th, 2009, 02:00
If you don't mind, where is that one?

thanks,

KC

Hey Colin,

It is here;

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14546

From there, you are redirected into another forum at PoSky.

The Script is by Hiroshi Igami. It works brilliant except in Groups. If you use Groups, then it will be shaky.

Brilliant tool though! Works in the blink of an eye.. Takes tons of time out of the Materials switch-over..

Bill

michael davies
March 24th, 2009, 02:14
Bill,

Problem with that I can see is that if you change anything in the model or recompile it then you'll have to go through the same process ?, its better to change the materials at source, surely ?.

I cant remember how I did mine but I used the Max material esitor and it only took a few hours ( mostly messing with it to get it to work ) and it changed all the materials to FSx format, you can even change the specularity and shine etc, it doesnt do bump maps or other maps ( still have to work that lot out anyway ) but it converted a FS9 model to FSx materials within an evening easily.

Problem is I've forgotten how I did it myself LOL, though I did write a load of tips here in the UKMIL Chinook thread a few months back, it'd not take much to pick it up....I hope.

Best

Michael

n4gix
March 24th, 2009, 09:09
Bill,

Problem with that I can see is that if you change anything in the model or recompile it then you'll have to go through the same process ?, its better to change the materials at source, surely ?.

This MAXScript for GMax "Select by Materials" works pretty like the same one that comes with Max.

The idea is that is will automatically select all parts that currently use the same Material in a scene, which then allows you to create a new FSX Material, and with one 'click' Apply the new FSX Material to all the parts at once.

Thus, it need be run only once... If you might need the same selection again, simply type in the empty box on the toolbar some name, making that collection of parts a "Named Selection Set." :focus:

n4gix
March 24th, 2009, 09:32
I cant fathom why MS didnt make a tool for export, they never did for FS9 and the community relied on third party tools to helps us along, in FSx you get tools for every other function like animation managers and material editors but no export tool ?, with hind sight I think they ran out of budget, too bad for the rest of us.

Actually, ACES did create an "FS9 export tool" for Max8/9 and made it available to the beta team for testing...

...unfortunately, AFAIK no one ever managed to get it to load. Every attempt brought up a bitch-box whining about the tool being created for a different version of Max...

...and ACES never got around to fixing the problem... :monkies:

It's still available at the MSDN site:
https://connect.microsoft.com/Downloads/Downloads.aspx?SiteID=69

michael davies
March 24th, 2009, 11:02
Bill,

Thanks for the clarification, once posted it kinda dawned on me that as its a script it might be working on the source and not the compiled model, a case of think twice and post once :).

ACEs tool, that would explain a lot, I was working in Gmax when beta for FS9 so didn't use or particularily take much notice of Max tools and scripts back then.

Kindest

Michael

SkippyBing
March 24th, 2009, 11:30
I think there's a tick box in max to only make the MDL when you export. Took me about a day before I read the manual and realised it wasn't working because it wasn't supposed to!