PDA

View Full Version : Worlds Cheapest Car; $2,000.00 New!

Lionheart
March 23rd, 2009, 08:42
Hey guys,

TaTa Motors in India have announced the soon to be launched Nano, a car which will sell starting at $2,000.00 USD. This, they say will enable people from India to finally afford 'cars' instead of little motorbikes and mopeds and will revolutionise transportation in the growing, huge country of India.

The car looks somewhat like a Smartcar, but with much smaller tires.

Not a bad little car compared with what they have already over there. This will be good for them.

In Japan and France, such a car is called a MicroCar class, which like in Japan, is sold to minors and teens. Honda and others make 'Microcars' which the rest of the world rarely see.

More on it here;
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090323/ts_afp/indiacompanyautotata_20090323144905

You can find alot of photos of these at www.flickr.com using 'TaTa Nano' as the search key.

Bill

& Co.
March 23rd, 2009, 09:29
In Japan and France, such a car is called a MicroCar class, which like in Japan, is sold to minors and teens.I don't know for Japan, but I'm afraid you're wrong for France. A 'microcar' isn't defined by its size or weight, but by its engine capacity. As soon as it equals or exceeds 50 cubic centimeters, a driving licence is required, whatever the vehicle. At least in France, Microcars are mostly for adults who don't or can't have a driving licence. French teens wouldn't even THINK driving one of those - waaaay too square ;)

6297J
March 23rd, 2009, 09:30
Great, as if India wasn't polluted enough already!

brad kaste
March 23rd, 2009, 10:05
I'm sure this car will a dream come true for thousands of Indians who've always wanted a four wheel car of transportation. The price is right. Most get by on a scooter or less. From what I've read about large cities in India,...traffic is overly congested and hectic. And Rules of the Road don't apply when going from point A to point B. The TaTa Nano car will add more to this mix of grid-lock in urban areas. Cute as a bug though.......

GT182
March 23rd, 2009, 10:55
I'd imagine there are people right here in the US of A that will jump to buy one. Seeing most can't afford one today's overpriced makes, these will certainly be affordable to a large number of people. But I doubt the price will remain at $2,000 for North America. You know how dealers are..... I sure do. ;)

BTW. Ta Ta Motors..... is that something the Teletubbies started? Or does it refer to those glorious Ta Tas? ;) :costumes: Sorry, but I couldn't resist. :redface:

brad kaste
March 23rd, 2009, 11:09
I'd imagine there are people right here in the US of A that will jump to buy one. Seeing most can't afford one today's overpriced makes, these will certainly be affordable to a large number of people. But I doubt the price will remain at $2,000 for North America. You know how dealers are..... I sure do. ;)

BTW. Ta Ta Motors..... is that something the Teletubbies started? Or does it refer to those glorious Ta Tas? ;) :costumes: Sorry, but I couldn't resist. :redface:
GT,...From what I've read about the car,...it wouldn't be able to pass EPA or crash standards tests in the US. Don't expect it here anytime soon.......

Lionheart
March 23rd, 2009, 11:11

lolol....

The gentleman that started TaTa motors has the last name of TaTa...

Ta....

Bill

EDIT: Do you know who owns Land Rover now???

noddy
March 23rd, 2009, 11:23
TaTa now owns Jaguar, could be the new baby Jag!

Lionheart
March 23rd, 2009, 11:25
With wooden Mahogany pushrod valves... (melt proof, laquer coated even).

grunau_baby
March 23rd, 2009, 11:42
Wait and see! The pricing off course is relevant. Renault have a big succes with their cheaper Dacia sister models in Europe. But then you get a rather roomy car for the price of a microcar:
http://www.daciagroup.com/fotografii-stire-photo_produits-dacia_sandero-666 The Ta Ta is just small, too small for our big hedonist-european bums I guess:friday:

Being kind of a microcar nut myself I have strong doubts about the safey, the work off looks veeery cheap and honestly they cannot even build safe bigger cars in asia right now...
g5SRyG6UR2AHorror!

I prefer small, but with style, even willing to pay a bit more for quality or driving-fun. However if Ta Ta would offer an Abarth-cooperation conversion with 200bhp ...:engel016:

Alex

noddy
March 23rd, 2009, 11:43
The all new wooden 3 cylinder wonder engine.

Having said that I did have a 3 cylinder Daihatsu for my station car, and it was a hoot to drive.

kilo delta
March 23rd, 2009, 14:29
However if Ta Ta would offer an Abarth-cooperation conversion with 200bhp ...:engel016:

Alex

Whack in a Hayabusa engine like this Smart Car...

cV4HdsDZX6c

:friday::jump:

Piglet
March 23rd, 2009, 15:28
How much does he spend on tires?!?

Drake
March 23rd, 2009, 15:29
Looks about as safe as driving a kid's power wheels car down the highway.

Lionheart
March 23rd, 2009, 16:08
Figure its safer then a moped on the freeway, lol..

Why oh why have I always been infatuated with small cars... arrghh..

The Messerschmidt, the Issetta, the King Midget, some wild little French and Japanese Micros. Then the Lean Machine, and that new VW 1.6. Goodness...

Bill

grunau_baby
March 24th, 2009, 10:57
Why oh why have I always been infatuated with small cars... arrghh..
Same here:wave:

My definite favourite of all times, love the sound and you cannot beat the attitude:d
T3OlJgweJGg

Alex

Lazerbrainz2k3
March 24th, 2009, 11:58
With the new job, I am in the market for a new car... but for that (slightly) glorified go-cart?

Never, never, never.

Fuel economy is great, but I have the self-respect to get a fuel-efficient "real car." Even the smart fourtwo drives me crazy on the road - not the least of which because I don't want to have to wait in traffic jams while medivac helicopters airlift Nano-driving corpses away after they get pulverized in accidents.

Besides, I have my eyes on the Civic Si coupe as it is. Sporty, fully-loaded, affordable, reliable, good MPG - everything I want! :)

Toastmaker
March 24th, 2009, 14:01
Well, I can clearly see from the photos why they're so cheap - they're factory rejects. . .

They put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car !

No need to thank me, I'm just naturally observant. . .

:kilroy:

Brian_Gladden
March 24th, 2009, 14:23
I used to have a Taurus SHO.... I want one of these...

v_zEPRMYK4A

Brian

GT182
March 24th, 2009, 14:47
Not bad Brian. But.... seeing there were only 7 made, do you really think theere might be a couple out there to buy? Remember, Leno has #1.

Now this is the one I'd want, if I decided to go foreign. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HwRZhPVmQ4&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esim%2Douthouse%2Ecom%2Fsoh forums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Fp%3D145391%23post14539 1&feature=player_embedded

Snuffy
March 24th, 2009, 14:54
No thanks.

Lionheart
March 24th, 2009, 16:02
There was a female reporter on CNN yesterday testdriving a Nano. She took it ever so slowly through some cones in zig-zag fashion. Man that thing was leaning, and it looked like she was doing just over 5 MPH.

:d

Perhaps the GT model will have anti-sway bars... perhaps.... maybe..

EDIT: I shouldnt make fun of the endeavor. Its a good cause.. It really is better then vespa's and motorcycles. I hope it does well.

Bill

Roger
March 24th, 2009, 16:44
It's simple, it's a business venture and it's enfranchisement of potentially, nearly a billion people. Nothing much to add but that the majority of the population of this planet do not live in the USA or Europe and yet, unsurprisingly have the same aspirations as the first world.

safn1949
March 24th, 2009, 17:04
A photo of my first ride at 19.And I never hit much (do trees count?):friday: