PDA

View Full Version : Protype Apple iView Desktop Computer

Lionheart
March 22nd, 2009, 20:10
Hey guys,

This is a prototype concept for a desktop computer with a curved screen. This is a prototype only and because we are hearing about it, might mean it didnt make it into the next years mix. Its called an iView and designed for Apple and was meant to compete 'slightly' with Alienwares new curved screen that isnt out.

More info here;

http://www.techshout.com/hardware/2008/03/iview-curved-display-imac-concept-showcased-by-nuno-teixeira/

I wish Apple would start making super gaming computers..

Lionheart
March 22nd, 2009, 21:06
Goodness.. Just found another..

:d

I'm tellin yah.. They are huge iPods, lol..

tigisfat
March 22nd, 2009, 21:10
Those are pretty trendy lookin'.

Kiwikat
March 22nd, 2009, 21:20
Those are pretty trendy lookin'.

Pretty expensive looking too...

Lionheart
March 22nd, 2009, 21:27
I still cant believe the thing I have.. I cant believe its all in one case.

You guys know I am a freak for futuristic things and on occasion, will talk about UFO's. When I was a kid, I read Jules Verne. Anything radical catches my eye.

This weird thing I now work on is what I call 'wierd', lol.. No visible screws.. You have a magnetically sealed glass cover of which avails a 'surgeon' to enter its 'innerts'. The entire tower assembly, parts, power module, Mobo, GC, everything, is in a thin, flat, annodized casing of aluminum and glass. (Black plastic is on the rear cover, and a very thick, solid 1/4 inch Aluminum stand).

There are about 3 'squirrel cage fans' inside the thing and they run silent. I cannot hear them when they are spooled up.

I have seen inside the thing and got to see how they did it all. I can only think they used their Laptop team to make this thing as its very sleek and has a very wild Mobo design to enable everything fitting inside.

Just to go off topic. Designing things like cars, planes and things, sometimes draws me back to thoughts on 'creation'. Fish design for instance. Putting a brain, stomach, intestines, energy conversion reactor, pump (heart) servos (muscles) and control surfaces (fins) all into one sleek little being called a fish, and off it goes, running on all 8 cylinders..

Well, with that knowledge of bio creation science technologies, applying or comparing it to 'things' that mankind create that sometimes really stick out amongst all the others, this thin and very wide (24inch) computer (alien thing) really makes me think of such things..

No, its not designed to be opened alot. No its not cheap. No you cant fit almost 'anything' in there. It even has its own OS! lol... What computer comes with its own OS? and allows you to install Windows on it as a secondary.

Small note; see the pic of the iPod looking 'white thing'? That is a control device (wireless) that manages a thing called 'Front Seat'. It can access Movies, DVD's, pics, music, etc, all from that super small remote. (Yeah, I cant figure it out either.. its like a mouse in a way, and accesses all routes in Front Seat without needing a real mouse, as like Media Center does).

Now, Im not selling this.. I am not being a dealer, or advertiser.. Just wanted to share this thing with the computer guys here. Not saying Mac is the way to go. Its definately 'not' a gaming computer, so for FS, its not the best. Ted has done numerous cross testing on it and they are not up to par.

I on the other hand have to have a bit of Star-Trek-Ism if I can afford it and this fits the bill, pardon the pun.

Its alien I tell yah! Alien.....

Bill

FengZ
March 22nd, 2009, 21:54
nice find! I love tech stuff too...

the curved screens already exists and in use by the US military/government. They are huge! (but not made by apple...so not as sexy).

The TF film had research pics of it when we were designing the pentagon stuff.....very neat/high-tech looking....i also saw a screen in person that's super-dooper-super-HD, i think 10,000px x 10,000 it's insane! It's sharper than the human eye....the prototype i saw costs around 1m for a 50" screen...ahha...they said the tech is about 10 years away.

I think they curved screen will hit the market in just a few years....i want one!

-feng

GT182
March 23rd, 2009, 04:54
I saw the curved screen awhile back and in the ad it was expensive. Like 3 or 4 grand, or maybe more IIRC.

Kiwikat
March 23rd, 2009, 05:15
I saw the curved screen awhile back and in the ad it was expensive. Like 3 or 4 grand, or maybe more IIRC.

Seriously? You could build an awesome if not top of the line i7 machine for that, and have a 24 inch LCD (or two... or three).

Lame.

cheezyflier
March 23rd, 2009, 06:52
this is probably a dumb question, but what is the point of a curved screen?
i can see if it was a wrap-around sort of a thing used for gaming, but i don't see the advantage otherwise. can someone enlighten me?

djscoo
March 23rd, 2009, 07:14
Here's the rest of that (↑↑↑) picture...:173go1:

Lionheart
March 23rd, 2009, 11:24
Curved screen can be extra wide and your eyes can keep the same focus because the perimeter distance from side to center remains constant from your average eye distance to screen.

Normally with a wide screen, your eyes are refocusing in distance as you are glancing left to right.

:rapture:

Bill

AckAck
March 23rd, 2009, 16:40
I think the Dell would look a lot cleaner if they used white cables too. And a white keyboard and mouse. And 2 foot cables like the Mac shows, instead of the 7 foot cables crunched up in the back to look cluttered. Or, perhaps the backgrounds could both be switched to black. But that would be so anti-Mac in its advertising concept...

Brian

Cratermaker
March 23rd, 2009, 16:54
Fixed that for ya, djscoo! :caked:

djscoo
March 23rd, 2009, 17:45
Fixed that for ya, djscoo! :caked:
tooo funny! :costumes:
Here's "Wired" magazine's take on the issue(from 1996...dang this feud goes waaaay back.).
*note this is all in good fun, I own an Ipod touch and love it.

Cratermaker
March 23rd, 2009, 18:58
I've heard of the Newton, but what the heck is a PhoneNet connector?

djscoo
March 23rd, 2009, 19:21
I've heard of the Newton, but what the heck is a PhoneNet connector?
Apparently it's a primitive network connector (phased out)

Firewire is to USB as PhoneNet is to Ethernet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhoneNet