PDA

View Full Version : FSx SP1 Who Stops There?

harleyman
March 19th, 2009, 08:25
I just did a complete OS and FSX reinstall this morning....

Along with an install of the latest ATI Driver just released(last one killed me)

So....I ran 3D Mark..Score of 17,800 something...Better than before by a tad

Now then....I stopped after the FSX SP 1 install, did my usual *Deep Optimized* defragg and loaded up the sim before installing SP2...

Update.... I need to set up my vid card...LOl Over heavy areas it was , well, not so good , it needs AA and AF ....

FSX settings are all set as before.(mostly maxed) (Traffic 50%)

Nothing has been set in my ATI Catalist Control Center.....( NADA..All Default...No AA or AF) Nothing

FSX is set on frames at 60...It looks beautiful ..Frames never leave 60, well maybe to 58, no stutters, nothing at all..This is in all views..There is not even a shimmer in the trees.....

Never touched the config too...

I'm going back to fly again ..It seems NOT Right....LOL But its true...

Before Acceleration killed me for some reason...Once removed it was good...

SO..What does SP 2 actually do, besides more DX10 stuff (XP here)

I think I lose some aircraft that need SP2.....

But I'm considering leaving SP2 off....

Thoughts. Opinions..actual Trails?

6297J
March 19th, 2009, 08:40
Thanks for the news about 9.3

I've never known anyone have so much trouble with FSX Harleyman.
Me thinks you fiddle too much ;)

How many of these snake oil defraggers/optimisers do you use?

harleyman
March 19th, 2009, 08:44
I just use the one defragger..Been using it for several years now.....

I'll get back on the 9.3 driver later as to how it does...

Believe it or not the last install was brilliant for weeks ... i touched nothing when I lost it and had no updates eighter that showed in add remove showing updated...

So I don't know what I did or what happened...:d

Z-PurpleBubble
March 19th, 2009, 08:44
Harleyman,

If you want to install accelleration ultimately, don't even bother installing SP1, Accelleration contains SP2, and since servicepacks are released with ALL the updates, don't even bother installing SP1, it will only create havoc!

Hope this helps!

PB

Reddog
March 19th, 2009, 09:13
FSX w/SP1 that way I can fly all my FS9 port overs with no problems.FPS locked on 20 and rarely see below that except in the high dense areas which I tend to stay out of. Smooth and no studders. settings on the right pretty much maxed,water low 2X,Scenery complexity very dense ans autogen dense to very dense. Running AdamMillsfreeware ground textures, UTX USA and either SceneryTechs or Cloud 9s Landclass,

Lionheart
March 19th, 2009, 09:14
Accelleration did this to my last two computers. Removing it required a complete reload of FSX to restore faster frame rates.

I dont know what they put in the Accell SP2, but my computers couldnt run it well.

Now, I have SP2 presently on my iMac and all is fair.. My frames are about 20 to 30 though, and thats the highest I have ever had in FSX, so I am happy. 60 must be amazing! You are blessed man! Awesome to hear..

EDIT: I have the SP2 service pack 'only'! not the Accelleration package.

Bill

Bjoern
March 19th, 2009, 09:17
SP2 is a love/hate relationship.

Sadly enough, SP2 native aircraft won't work in a SP1 FSX, e.g. FSND's 727, 310Q or 340B.

harleyman
March 19th, 2009, 09:19
Harleyman,

If you want to install accelleration ultimately, don't even bother installing SP1, Accelleration contains SP2, and since servicepacks are released with ALL the updates, don't even bother installing SP1, it will only create havoc!

Hope this helps!

PB

Thanks... I do not want to install Acceleration....

I am just curious as to how many people just use SI 1 and what results they are having is all....

datter
March 19th, 2009, 09:51
Acceleration is a must have for me, if only to be able to fly that gorgeous freeware T45C with hud/sound... apparently you lose those with that AC and no Acceleration.

Buddha13
March 19th, 2009, 09:51
Hi all,
What can I say.I have SP1,SP2 and Accelleration all installed and running.Only problem I have is the shimmering tree textures that I do not seem to be able to cure.It may well end FSX for me as they give me a headache after a few minutes.but other than that all is running fine at the moment.One thing i would suggest is that It has all been installed on a fresh install.Nothing was added to it before so that may be one clue.
If anyone has a cure for the shimmering I would be grateful.Have tried alsorts.I have also tried altering my driver settings to no avail.

Buddha13

harleyman
March 19th, 2009, 10:24
Thanks for all your views..

I think I will just stay with SP1 for a while and see how it goes....

Acceleration killed me before, but I installed SP 3 then and saw no real difference that I can remember....

Buddha13..We talked about your trees before.....Have you trie any of the packages for trees, or kicking up AA/AF

There is TreeX V2.1 by Aimé Leclercq ONLY SP1 ( I see you run Acceleration)

Then reduce tree count ...

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=3000 <--------Reduce to your needs
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000

(enter under first terrain header)

6297J
March 19th, 2009, 10:32
In what way did Acceleration kill you??

By the by, have you noticed any difference in the temperature of your card under stress with 9.3?

I could swear mine is now running even cooler than before :cool:

kilo delta
March 19th, 2009, 10:37
SP2 changes.... http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack2.aspx

Buddha13
March 19th, 2009, 10:39
Harleyman sent you a message.
thanks,

Buddha13

harleyman
March 19th, 2009, 11:08
In what way did Acceleration kill you??

By the by, have you noticed any difference in the temperature of your card under stress with 9.3?

I could swear mine is now running even cooler than before :cool:

It just made me so unstable I could not seem to get my settings to get steady ...It would be good , then it seemes that my previous settings needed adjusting again...

So i gave up....Could not control stuttering to good also.....

Thanks Kilo Delta... I forgot it offered Multiplayer too.......

I have not tested for card temps yet..but I run my fan at 100% all the time ..I have never seen temps over 55 anyway that way..But its loud...

But I have noticed that there seem to be no issues with this release like I had with the last one..Thats good....

MCDesigns
March 19th, 2009, 11:45
Really to bad that SP2 gives some users a hard time. IMO SP1 only shouldn't even be an option, just creates more headaches for developers.

harleyman
March 19th, 2009, 11:49
So true Michael...I had Acceleration on my last machine and had NO problems at all with it......:confused:

Lionheart
March 19th, 2009, 12:17
Here you guys are, half running Accelleration with faster frames, and half having to uninstall it for faster frames..

I am trying to get the switches working right in the Kodiak in the FSX builders pack and half are not working...

I just want to...

SCREAM!!!!!!

Buddha13
March 19th, 2009, 12:22
Harleyman,
Some pictures coming your way.

Buddha13

harleyman
March 19th, 2009, 12:33
Here you guys are, half running Accelleration with faster frames, and half having to uninstall it for faster frames..

I am trying to get the switches working right in the Kodiak in the FSX builders pack and half are not working...

I just want to...

SCREAM!!!!!!

Hey Bill... I'll have a scream fest with ya...i'm ready.....Or we can go shoot bottles or something....LOL Always makes me feel better....:d

I'll be looking out Buddha 13...Thanks

Bjoern
March 19th, 2009, 13:47
So i gave up....Could not control stuttering to good also.....

Microstuttering at frame rates lower than 30 is in the nature of every multi GPU config, be it Crossfire, SLI or a dual chip card like the 4870X2 or GTX 295.

That's one reason why I've opted for a non-Crossfire/SLI mainboard and rather buy a fast single-chip card than two slower single-chip/one multichip one(s).

harleyman
March 19th, 2009, 14:37
Yup..You are correct as I have the 4870X2 ..but I lock my frames much higher that 30..And only get studdering with acceleration thats hard to control....

datter
March 19th, 2009, 14:54
Microstuttering at frame rates lower than 30 is in the nature of every multi GPU config, be it Crossfire, SLI or a dual chip card like the 4870X2 or GTX 295.

That's one reason why I've opted for a non-Crossfire/SLI mainboard and rather buy a fast single-chip card than two slower single-chip/one multichip one(s).

I'm running Acceleration on a Quad core Q6600 at 3.3ghz with dual 8800GT's in SLI and have no stuttering to speak of. Beyond that, despite the suggestion that SLI does nothing for FSX I find just the opposite. With SLI enabled I get slightly better FPS and smoother flights. *shrug*

guzler
March 19th, 2009, 15:27
I have been running SP1 & 2 and never had any problems, runs really stable and that with just a single core, although frames and blurries are an issue, but that's expected. Wouldn't dream of installing Acceleration, too many horror stories. Only issue I had was with a graphics driver, but that stopped powerpoint from working and left FSX to plod on regardless !!!

Bjoern
March 19th, 2009, 18:04
Yup..You are correct as I have the 4870X2 ..but I lock my frames much higher that 30..And only get studdering with acceleration thats hard to control....

Yeah, stuttering-wise SP2 really made things worse, but I got mine under control after some time.

I'm running Acceleration on a Quad core Q6600 at 3.3ghz with dual 8800GT's in SLI and have no stuttering to speak of. Beyond that, despite the suggestion that SLI does nothing for FSX I find just the opposite. With SLI enabled I get slightly better FPS and smoother flights. *shrug*

Depends on the resolution used.

I guess a multi-montor setup or very large screens running high AA/AF settings really benefit from SLI in FSX.

harleyman
March 19th, 2009, 18:20
I had SLI 8800 GTS's on my last box..They gave me tons of frames, but I just had a real hard time getting it all under control..It was a custom built box and came with an OC already, that proved to be very unstable, and that may have been some of its problems.I sent it back and built this one..And now after 7 months just getting FSX under control, although it went south the other day for unknown reasons, then I wacked the OS by goofing up a restore ....LOL

GT182
March 19th, 2009, 18:33
Running FSX with SP2 and Acceleration, and no problems so far.... knock on wood. Still with XP SP2, P4 3.2GH, and XFX6800XT 521MB DDR3 card, and 2GH of DDR2 memory. And I'm still using the old graphics driver that came with the 6800.

Could it be bigger and newer is not always better?

harleyman
March 19th, 2009, 18:38
Its amazing that you are using a 6800...

That just proves that FSX wants to eat your processor....LOL

Lionheart
March 19th, 2009, 19:41
Running FSX with SP2 and Acceleration, and no problems so far.... knock on wood. Still with XP SP2, P4 3.2GH, and XFX6800XT 521MB DDR3 card, and 2GH of DDR2 memory. And I'm still using the old graphics driver that came with the 6800.

Could it be bigger and newer is not always better?

Goodness GT182!! You run all that with only 2 Gigs of Memory?? Nice!

Wait till you see what its like with 4 Gigs.. You will be amazed.

Bill

6297J
March 19th, 2009, 22:55
Acceleration with Q9650, 2048mb HD4870X2, 8GB Corsair Dominator, dual monitor, X-Fi Extreme Audio, Vista 64, no overclocking, no anti-virus, no defraggers, no disk optimisers, no System Care BS, no benchmark testing, Vista and all drivers updated regularly, no stutters, no ctd's, no problems, nothing but smooth, flowing simming with absolutley no idea what my frame rates are and no interest in finding out as it all looks beautiful.
I'll leave now :redface:

Bjoern
March 20th, 2009, 04:01
Goodness GT182!! You run all that with only 2 Gigs of Memory?? Nice!

Wait till you see what its like with 4 Gigs.. You will be amazed.

I didn't experience much of a difference going from 2 to 4 Gbytes of Ram. :whistle:

harleyman
March 20th, 2009, 04:43
Acceleration with Q9650, 2048mb HD4870X2, 8GB Corsair Dominator, dual monitor, X-Fi Extreme Audio, Vista 64, no overclocking, no anti-virus, no defraggers, no disk optimisers, no System Care BS, no benchmark testing, Vista and all drivers updated regularly, no stutters, no ctd's, no problems, nothing but smooth, flowing simming with absolutley no idea what my frame rates are and no interest in finding out as it all looks beautiful.
I'll leave now :redface:

JERK.....LOL (JK) :ernae:

I marvel at your abality to not peek at the frames.....If I could learn to do that my life as I know it would be much better :d

Actually I just use it to get set up..After that I don't care till I get some indication something is wrong..Then I use frames again to see whats up...

But for the most part I run very stable..never had a CTD...My worst trouble was some studdering that was easily fixed ..Then I think I had some texture problems causing issues....All fixed now...

GT182
March 20th, 2009, 04:51
I thought XP only recognises 3gigs of memory Bill. Someday I'll have a better rig... but not for awhile. I do want to use that Zotac 8800 1GB GDDR3 card eventually tho. :costumes: But for right now the GTO is my main money nibbler. ;)

harleyman
March 20th, 2009, 05:25
I thought XP only recognises 3gigs of memory Bill. Someday I'll have a better rig... but not for awhile. I do want to use that Zotac 8800 1GB GDDR3 card eventually tho. :costumes: But for right now the GTO is my main money nibbler. ;)

You can use 4 gigs in XP..I do, and always have..The deal is that you have to subtract the vid cards memory from your 4 gigs and thats the amount you will use...

Mine shows me as having 3 gigs.... But reguardless thats a full gig over 2...

Lionheart
March 20th, 2009, 13:13
I totally forgot about that.

arrghh.. My oops..

Bill