PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia driver problem

abrussell
March 16th, 2009, 12:53
I updated the driver to version 182.08 following the instructions as above. After the update I cannot set the screen resolution any higher that 640x480. In addition one of the monitors shows as inactive in display settings. I have tried changing settings in windows display and Nvidia control panel with no success. I rolled back the driver to 175.19 but the problem persists. Can anyone help?
Tks
Bruce
<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________

Bone
March 16th, 2009, 13:02
NVIDIA is the root of all evil. There may be remnents of both drivers at odds with each other. Uninstall the Driver from the Windows Control Panel, use Driver Cleaner if you have it, then reinstall 175.19.

RudiJG1
March 16th, 2009, 13:23
I'm not sure evil has anything to do with this problem, and I've gone through a slew of NVidia cards and drivers with little or no problems.

First, removing the old driver carefully is always recommended, using a small software program to help with the task. I used to use DriverCleaner until it stopped being freeware. Now I 'd use the following: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)_d1655.html

Download this, install it, remove the nVidia driver via your Windows control panel uninstall applet, then run Driver Sweeper after a reboot.
Reboot again, and then try reinstalling the driver of your choice. All should be well. Good luck!

Oops, Bone beat me to the punch!

abrussell
March 16th, 2009, 14:13
I have uninstalled the 175.19 drivers as per directions, run Driver sweeper, run Ccleaner, run 3 different registry cleaners. Re-installed 175.19. Same problem. Went thru the whole precedure again to un-install the 175.19. Installed the175.16. Problem persists.The only thing that changed was when there was no driver installed, the resolution went to 1024x768, but this went back to 640x480 when the drivers were installed. Also, none of the restore points created during all of this will work.
Bruce

harleyman
March 16th, 2009, 14:28
Its a good idea to set the driver back to default before uninstalling..Expecially running two monitors...Then un hook your second monitor before installing the driver..

Set the new driver up as normal, then add your second back in...

Cazzie
March 16th, 2009, 15:31
Have you tried resetting your screen size and resol;ution with the NVidia Control Panel?

I have found that if one has nhancer and uninstalls and reinstalls nVidia drivers there can be conflicts also. I uninstall nHancer and reinstall it after I have install any new/old drivers. Currently I am running the 182.08 with no problems. if fact I am getting better frames rates. It still does not solve the issue of flickering taziway and runway marking in FSX when using the DX10 preview.

I have a dual-core AMD 3.4, ASUS MB, two SLI 8800 CT cards.

Caz

Quixoticish
March 16th, 2009, 15:36
I have uninstalled the 175.19 drivers as per directions, run Driver sweeper, run Ccleaner, run 3 different registry cleaners. Re-installed 175.19. Same problem. Went thru the whole precedure again to un-install the 175.19. Installed the175.16. Problem persists.The only thing that changed was when there was no driver installed, the resolution went to 1024x768, but this went back to 640x480 when the drivers were installed. Also, none of the restore points created during all of this will work.
Bruce

Make sure you're rebooting and running in safe mode when relevant.

Proper driver installation procedure:

Update driver cleaner (many people forget to do this).
Uninstall existing drivers from in windows.
Reboot into safe mode. (Important)
Run driver cleaner ensuring all relevant boxes are ticked.
Reboot.
Install new drivers.
Reboot.

abrussell
March 16th, 2009, 16:09
I have gone back to square 1. Uninstalled Nhancer and riva tuner.Uninstalled Nvidia driver as per directions. Searched for and deleted anything that said Nvidia. Booted in to safe mode. Ran Driver Sweeper and 3 registry cleaners. Shutdown and physically removed video card and re-seated. Reinstalled card using the cd that came with it. Driver installed was 174.40 This gave me a 1024x768 resolution that I was unable to change. Repeated the whole procedure to uninstall yet again. The 175.16 installed properly but the problem persists. After 8 hours of fighting this I have had enough fun for 1 day. Hark, a bottle of wine is calling my name. tks for your input. I will try again tomorrow.
Bruce

harleyman
March 16th, 2009, 16:18
Very strange indeed.......

I now wonder if the card has finally given up the ghost....

Perhaps try a spare if you have one to check tommorrow...

hey_moe
March 16th, 2009, 17:16
Right click on an area on the desktop,select Nvidia Control panel,go display, then click Change Flat Panel Scaling, look at the right center, Select one of those four selection starting with Use Nvidia scaling...after you find the correct one let me know what happens. There is nothing wrong with those drivers. I am using them on Windows7,Vista64 and XP Pro with no problems...Mike

stansdds
March 17th, 2009, 01:55
I wonder if there is a compatibility problem between the nVidia driver and the monitor driver?

harleyman
March 17th, 2009, 03:29
There are know issues with Nvidia drivers and creative drivers...Do you use a sound card?

abrussell
March 17th, 2009, 08:07
Flat panel scaling is set to"use my display's built in scaling". I tried the other 3 settings with no luck.
I don't know if it is related, but during all the restarts I did yesterday, on occasion the computer hung at the first screen before the post.Using the reset button made it start normally.
Bruce

harleyman
March 17th, 2009, 08:10
So...How was that bottle of wine?

LOL

Is your CPU Overclocked at all????????????

I think there is more going on that a driver deal...After I read your boot up deal there is another underlying problem I think...

harleyman
March 17th, 2009, 08:12
A Q6600 @ 3.0 I would suspect now...

abrussell
March 18th, 2009, 15:55
Wine was good. Computer is in the shop for warranty repairs, so will have another bottle of wine tonite.Tuesday was a good year at my local ubrew wine shop. Lol
Bruce

Bjoern
March 18th, 2009, 16:31
A Q6600 @ 3.0 I would suspect now...

Great work, Sherlock! :costumes:

First hit at the resolution problem: Monitor drivers.

First hit at the freezing problem: PSU.

First hit at both problems: Bad card.

Let's see what the repair shop comes up with...

abrussell
March 19th, 2009, 16:40
Update
Got the computer back this am.Turns out that it was the hard drive failing. Spent all day today getting the regular stuff working. Tomorrow I will tackle Fsx and all the addons.
Harleyman, I share your pain in doing this stuff all over again.
Nolo carborundum illegitimai!
Bruce

harleyman
March 19th, 2009, 18:27
Dang Bruce.. I never would have thought of that so soon....Great to hear that its on the up swing now..

I wacked my own OS by pure stupidity..LOL

FSX installed great and am up and running now..Off to fly one last flight before bed....:friday: