PDA

View Full Version : Beale AFB open house

Daveroo
March 15th, 2009, 07:16
Beale AFB is having an open house on april 18-19th,they dont seem to be doing any advertising ( the base civilain contact..cant think of the proper name.) told me theyre keeping it low key this year.but it should be a good show..no big names like the thunderbirds or blueangels..but they will have a P38 and a Yak 9..
im going on the 19th..nascar is the 18th...if anyone in the area goes on the 19th look me up..im the fat guy in a white t shirt ,,glasses,,beard to my nipples,,and ill be on a red power chair...red n black #99 carl edwards hat..

http://www.beale.af.mil//2009bealeairshow/index.asp

Dave

OBIO
March 15th, 2009, 11:05
Did you check out the righthand column on their page...the list of things that are prohibited from being on base, the screening of visitors. Man...this country has gone neck deep in irrational fear and terrorism-ism. Used to be a time when Americans were free to live their lives....now everyone is under scrutiny, a potential terror-maker. Ain't it about time to stop being scared and get back to being FREE?!?!?!?!?!?!?

OBIO

Panther_99FS
March 15th, 2009, 11:18
Did you check out the righthand column on their page...the list of things that are prohibited from being on base, the screening of visitors.
OBIO

The prohibited items list isn't really much different than what happens in & is prohibited at some of our city high schools...:kilroy:

:focus::focus::focus::focus::focus:

GT182
March 15th, 2009, 12:18
It's basicly the same for any show like that OB. Our WWII Weekend is the same way..... If you don't want to lose it or go to jail..... DON'T bring it with you. ;)

Last year we had a woman try and enter the show with pot and crack. I think she might still be in jail today. No joke.

Daveroo
March 15th, 2009, 12:47
yeah last one they had was 2 years ago and i had my scanner with me..female security person tried to pull me out of my wheelchair she got so upset i had the scanner...i hadnt seen the website or anything..i said..oh..sorry i didnt know..and she just screamed at me.threatened to call the cops...i loked at her said..im takin it back to the car relax...she said she had to confiscat it and distroy it...told her boss she did the air force was buyin me a new one......he let me take it back

OBIO
March 15th, 2009, 13:11
I guess times have changed since my last trip to an airshow in 2002 (the now-canceled 4th of July celebration at KMFD/Mansfield Lahm Regional). No security checks, no hassles, people pulled in coolers of all sizes, totes full of sandwiches and stuff. There was the basic security...both local police and military (Air National Guard MPs, seeing as how KMFD is home to the 179th AW)...but nothing on the level of counter-insurgency patrols. Heck, everyone parked out in the huge grass field, walked to the flight line, could walk right up to the planes, even touch them. Had a couple of transport planes opened up and you could walk into the cargo area and check the planes out...one was a Vietnam era transport..can't remember which one.

And the school thing...when I was in junior high and high school, we used to take our guns to school during hunting seasons. Get on the bus with your .22 or shot gun, let the bus driver check to make sure it was unloaded, hand him your ammo. Get to school, he's hand your ammo back to ya, stop in at the school office, give the gun and ammo to the principal and he'd lock it in his office. End of the day, stop in and pick it back up, hop on the bus my cousins rode, hand the ammo to the bus driver, get off at either our grand parents' house or the cousins' house, get our ammo handed back, drop our book bags by the mail box and head into the woods to hunt squirrel, rabbit, deer. I even took my fishing rod and tackle box to school on a number of occasions...get off the bus by the lake and fish for a couple hours until Dad got there after work with the boat, then we'd fish well into the wee-hours. And it was common for boys to have pocket knives IN THEIR POCKETS. Heck, the National Honor Society field trip my Senior Year...we went to Pike Lake for a Biological Treasure Hunt...had to have an educational reason to spend a school day at the lake....no one remembered to bring roasting forks for the weenie roast..so the NHS advisor/Chemistry and Physics teacher sent people off to find me because he KNEW that I had a nice sharp knife in my back pack...which I did...a nice 7 inch bladed Case XXXX sheath knife that my grandpa gave me for my 12th birthday present (1 month before he died). That knife stayed in my back pack all the time...even when I used that backpack to carry my books to and from school and to classes.

Of course, I grew up in a small, quiet, hillbilly town in deep southern Ohio...the populaton of the entire county was only 22 thousand people back then...still only around 25 thousand today.

OBIO

Lionheart
March 15th, 2009, 13:20
Luke AFB in Phoenix is this next weekend.

Should be good. I Hope they have one of those VTOL troop ships there. (and a B2 Wing).

Bill

Odie
March 15th, 2009, 14:58
The family and I go to Oceana NAS every year and last year I was surprised to see that Security was up over the year before.

They had Security stationed on top of the hangars with M-16's each day of the show. Didn't recall seeing them the year before.

Before you enter the show area, if you're carrying any kind of bag, you have to open it for inspection prior to entering. NAS Dallas was doing the same inspection in the late 90's before the base moved over to JRB Ft. Worth.