PDA

View Full Version : A-7 turbine blade cleaning

Navy Chief
March 3rd, 2023, 15:24
Before I joined the Navy, way back in 1972, NAVAIR maintenance procedures for cleaning A-7 turbine blades, was to spray pulverized (powdered) walnut shells into the intake. The intake cover screens had a hole on the face for connection of a hose..... The process was halted before I joined, but I was aware of it.

MrZippy
March 3rd, 2023, 15:59
Yep, I have heard of that too! You joined in '72 and I got out in '72......youngster! :wavey:

Mike71
March 4th, 2023, 01:50
Yep, I have heard of that too! You joined in '72 and I got out in '72......youngster! :wavey:You are both youngsters!

This was the era of introducing low bypass turbofan engines; the process was actually for cleaning compressor blades, not turbine blades, but a pretty clumsy approach. I imagine it was just too hard and the Navy found some better way or it was not all that necessary.

Navy Chief
March 4th, 2023, 07:29
You are both youngsters!

This was the era of introducing low bypass turbofan engines; the process was actually for cleaning compressor blades, not turbine blades, but a pretty clumsy approach. I imagine it was just too hard and the Navy found some better way or it was not all that necessary.

Thank you for the clarification, Mike. As for being a "youngster", my bathroom mirror and my body tells a different story 😏! Pete

Mike71
March 4th, 2023, 13:21
Thank you for the clarification, Mike. As for being a "youngster", my bathroom mirror and my body tells a different story ! Pete
Unfortunately for me Chief, I turned 80 in January - I only see a faint glow in my mirror -- unless I use my glasses.