PDA

View Full Version : Wing vortices problem

IanHenry
March 13th, 2009, 06:05
Hi,
I am having a problem with the wing vortices in FSX, they look like blue/multi coloured ribbons when using DX10 and are black in DX9. Is there anyway that I can change or disable them?
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ian

Butcherbird17
March 13th, 2009, 07:19
I've had the same problem for months. I never tried to fix it, but now i'm going to try and resolve the issue. I will report back if i find it.:gossip:

Joe

harleyman
March 13th, 2009, 07:23
Maybe hit the S key to turn off the acrobotics smoke???? I don't know...sorry

Boomer
March 13th, 2009, 07:44
The vortices are on by default. AFAIK there is no way to turn them off. They are keyed to the aircraft.cfg's aircraft geometry/wingspan.

You either have a missing or corrupt texture.

edit: the texture in question resides in the effects/texture folder. I dont know what it is called off hand.

Butcherbird17
March 13th, 2009, 08:02
Well the fix I though would work didn't work.:faint:
I have a fresh install on my laptop (only a couple a/c installed) so i copied the 2 fx files (fx_wingtipvortice_l.fx and fx_wingtipvortice_r.fx) to a flash drive and ported them over to my main rig. Now the wierd thing is that the 2 files on main rig have a date of 7/20/06 11:42 pm, on my laptop the date is 7/21/06 12:42 am, both are same file size (1.26kb), don't know how this is so different as both or sp2/accel installs. Anyways with the 2 files from laptop installed i get no votices at all, put the 2 originals back in i get the black vortices.:banghead: Could it be a texture file?

Joe

IanHenry
March 13th, 2009, 09:22
Do you all have Real Environment Extreme installed as I have? Could it be something to do with that?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Ian

IanHenry
March 15th, 2009, 11:17
Ok guys,
I’ve managed to sort this problem out, but it is rather time consuming too do.
First I removed the Effects folder and all its contents from FSX and put it some ware safe. I then uninstalled REX and acceleration and also deleted the FSX cfg file.
I then did a repair of FSX from the disk, started the sim and ran the default flight and then shut it down.
Next I copied the contents of the original Effects folder (including the Effects/Texture) into the new Effects folder which the repair has created.
When it asks if you want to overwrite any files select NO this will give you new FSX effects files and also re-install any files from your add-ons.
You can now reinstall Acceleration and REX. This worked for me.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian