PDA

View Full Version : iFLY 747 for FSX

jimjones
March 13th, 2009, 05:35
AVSIM issued a review of the iFly 747 a few days back. It seems this freeware plane has been around since Aug 2007.

Somehow I passed this one up, but after reading the review I decided to give it a try. Although probably a portover and has no self shadowing it is a interesting plane. Since it is new to me I have very little experience with it, but it does have many features and the review gave it good marks.

Link to the review.
http://www.avsim.com/pages/0309/iFly/747.htm

At avsim it can be found by searching: fly74711.zip

I was especially impressed by some of the details of the plane's cabin showing the enormity of the 747.

How did this plane impress others here at SOH?

some1
March 13th, 2009, 05:55
That's an outstanding freeware airplane and no doubt there was a huge amount of work involved to create it. It's not the best freeware aircraft (in my opinion it still lacks the complexity and perfection of Project Tupolev Tu-154b2 for FS2004) but near there.

Unfortunately this is portover so performance in FSX is simply terrible, even on lowest details it's barely flyable. Also it lacks good navigation database and I found the autopilot settings are not tuned to FM, it can't hold ILS slope even in a little crosswind and takes ages to stabilise on track. But when it comes to systems, it's right next to PMDG quality.

jimjones
March 13th, 2009, 06:52
That's an outstanding freeware airplane and no doubt there was a huge amount of work involved to create it. It's not the best freeware aircraft (in my opinion it still lacks the complexity and perfection of Project Tupolev Tu-154b2 for FS2004) but near there.

Unfortunately this is portover so performance in FSX is simply terrible, even on lowest details it's barely flyable. Also it lacks good navigation database and I found the autopilot settings are not tuned to FM, it can't hold ILS slope even in a little crosswind and takes ages to stabilise on track. But when it comes to systems, it's right next to PMDG quality.

Thanks for your experienced comments. As yet I've not tested as many of the features as you have. The review mentions the problems with the navigation database. Never used those systems, but was interested in learning about them.

As for performance, my PC and FSX settings are such that the flying is smooth even at the 15 to 20 fps achieved.

chinookmark
March 13th, 2009, 06:54
I tried this a few months ago. Seems like a real nice airplane, but it killed my frame rate. 26 fps locked at KSEA with the default 747, 8-10 fps with iFly.

some1
March 13th, 2009, 07:11
Never used those systems, but was interested in learning about them.

As for performance, my PC and FSX settings are such that the flying is smooth even at the 15 to 20 fps achieved.

In this case it is worth trying. This is the only freeware airplane where you can see and learn how modern tubeliners are flown. Or rather 'programmed to fly' :)
Also tutorials for PMDG 747 can be used with this airplane too without many problems.