PDA

View Full Version : Dotting the I's and crossing the T's. (ATC)

Sbob
October 24th, 2022, 03:39
I think many of us have been here. :wavey:

We find a repaint of an aircraft we REALLY like so we snag it. Then, we find the download for the actual aircraft the textures fit.
It might still be payware, it may have always been freeware, it may have been payware that was later released as freeware.

Whatever, its now installed in the sim along with the repaint we wanted.
Along the way, we probably had to update stuff like the sound folder, panel folder, effects, and sometimes the flight dynamics.
Again, whatever. Its now ready to rack up some hours in the log book. :wiggle:

There's just some final things to figure out, and this is true for MOST military aircraft in FS.

Where were they based and where did they fly? :indecisiveness:

After some digging on-line, the answers become clear. Well, mostly..
Eventually, we find the name of the air base and usually the four letter ICAO code. We then jump in the sim for a round of Airport Roulette. :dizzy:
In the later editions of Flight Sim, there's a good probability we'll find the right location or at least we'll be able to get close.
Its time to start the engine(s) and contact the tower. We hit the ~ key and hear "Tower, Mike Sierra zero zero zero, taking off to the north" or something close to that.
Crap. We need a callsign and number. It just gets worse when we get handed off to Approach:

"Mike Sierra zero zero zero is type Boeing" followed by silence. Well, crap again..

In this thread I'll be discussing how to get those fields filled in so our comms sound a little more legit. :wiggle:

I'm guessing most of us have had experience with the Edit Voice Pack program. I'm not going to beat that horse unless anyone has questions, from here on I'll call it EVP for short.
As most of us know (?), EVP files and the edited Voice Pack in FS are binary. Either they all work or they don't. :dizzy: There's also a definite upper limit on how many call signs and aircraft types can get crammed into the main voice file and you defiantly need to know how to economize when adding EVP files. One of the cool features of the EVP program is that it will provide an updated list of callsigns for your reference. The file is named airlines.cfg and its located in your main Aircraft folder. You should get in the habit of updating this file when you add EVP voice files, just look under the "Tools" header in EVP and you'll find it.

From here on I'll also throw in another limit so this post doesn't turn into "War and Peace". I'll be using the good old Alphasim F-84F Thunderstreak as the main example. The aircraft is cool but its a little bit of an oddball in the FS world so there are some challenges ahead.

The first two fields we'll need to deal with are the aircraft builder and the type. You can find these two lines in the [General] section of your aircraft.cfg file, usually just beneath the [aircraft.XX] lines. Each line only needs to appear once in the aircraft.cfg file. Mine look like this:

[General]
performance=Model: M. Davies\nPanel: P. Perrott\nFlight Model: J. McDaniel\nTextures: M. Davies\n\nMax Speed @ S.L.: 695 mph\nMaximum Range: 2,314 miles \nService Ceiling: 44,000 ft\nEmpty Weight: 13,800 lbs\nGross Weight: 28,000 lbs.\nEngine: (1) J-65-W-3 turbojet 7,220 lb st \n\nArmament:\n6 M-3 .50 cal Browning machine guns. \nUp to 6,000 lbs of ordinance on four wing pylons.\n\n
editable=1
atc_type=REPUBLIC
atc_model=F84

This looks fine however, FS doesn't recognize "F84" as a voice file and I can't find one online so we'll need to get crafty. :devilish:

What will work is "Thunderbolt". Its close enough and after a while, I don't even notice that its wrong.

One idea would be to use a variation of "P47" but I also have the option of using:

atc_model=A10

OK, we're past that hurdle. Now, its time to work on the callsigns.

In the real world, military callsigns change A LOT. Some are considered constant ("Air Force One", "Thunderbird 3", etc.) but most need to change several times a year.
We're back using a "best fit" on this. I try to keep my callsigns constant and believable. As long as I can come up with something close, I'm happy. My overall convention is to use a believable (historic) callsign followed two or three digits of the aircraft's tail number. In the case of an F/A-18 belonging to VFA-195 in Japan, the callsign would be "Chippy 4-1-5".
If its an actual formation flight, I might change it to "Chippy 3". "Chippy" is the traditional callsign for The Dambusters. While the three digit numbers aren't accurate (they change with every flight) they're close enough.

A really good source for callsigns is Military AI Works. The only problem with MAIW is that they concentrate on MODERN aircraft.
Still, they've compiled hundreds of these callsigns and I (mostly) trust their research. I'll take a break for now, I've been typing for a while, but in the next post we'll dive deeper into finding the right callsigns for 1950's-1970's era military planes of various nations plus WWII aircraft.

:very_drunk:

Sbob
October 24th, 2022, 18:46
OK, let's wrap this up. :jump:

I'm only going to concentrate on the USAF versions (three of the stock planes plus one repaint). You can easily do the same research for the French plane but you'll also need to consider how your install of FS handles other languages.

Here's the original sections for the stock plane:

[fltsim.0]
title=ALPHA F-84F Thunderstreak
sim=F-84F-Thunderstreak
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
KB_checklists=F-84F_check
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=ALPHA
ui_type=F-84F Thunderstreak
ui_variation=1. USAF 92nd FBS
description=© ALPHA Simulations 2003\n\nRepublic F-84F Thunderstreak\n\nThe F-84F was delivered in November 1952 and was a complete redesign of the earlier F-84 models which had been successful in the Korean conflict. Originally designed as a high speed nuclear strike aircraft, the F-84F found itself in a conventional strike role in the NATO air forces based in Western Europe from 1951-57. 2,713 were built with 450 going to the newly-formed Luftwaffe.This aircraft depicts 92nd FBS serial 52-7101 flown by Col George Berke from RAF Manston Kent in 1957.\n
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
atc_id=52-7101
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.1]
title=ALPHA F-84F Thunderstreak 401st TFW
sim=F-84F-Thunderstreak
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=401st
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=ALPHA
ui_variation=2. USAF 401st TFW
description=Republic F-84 Thunderstreak\n\n51-1759 was assigned to the 401st TFW at Alexandria AFB, Louisiana in 1957.\n
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
atc_id=51-1759
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.2]
title=ALPHA F-84F Thunderstreak 131st TFW
sim=F-84F-Thunderstreak
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=131st
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=ALPHA
ui_variation=3. USAF 131st
description=Republic F-84 Thunderstreak\n\n131st TFW serial 52-6368 from Missouri ANG, assigned to the wing commander of the 131st TFW during the call up for the Berlin crisis in 1961, transited to Europe during the building of the Berlin wall and based at Toul-Rosieres, France.\n
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
atc_id=52-6368
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.4]
title=ALPHA F-84F Thunderstreak USAF camo
sim=F-84F-Thunderstreak
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=usa
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=ALPHA
ui_variation=5. USAF camo
description=© ALPHA Simulations 2003\n\nRepublic F-84F Thunderstreak\n\nThe F-84F was delivered in November 1952 and was a complete redesign of the earlier F-84 models which had been successful in the Korean conflict. Originally designed as a high speed nuclear strike aircraft, the F-84F found itself in a conventional strike role in the NATO air forces based in Western Europe from 1951-57. 2,713 were built with 450 going to the newly-formed Luftwaffe.\n
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
atc_id=51-0769
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.5]
title=ALPHA F-84F Thunderstreak 11659
sim=F-84F-Thunderstreak
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=659
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=ALPHA
ui_variation=6. 389th FBS 51-1659
description=Republic F-84F Thunderstreak\nS/N: 51-1659 from the 389th FBS in 1952.\nBelonging to the 366th FBW Alexandria Air Force Base, Alexandria, La. (USA)\nRepaint by Jaap de Baare
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
atc_id=51-1659
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=

The first thing I want to do is work with the info in the descriptions, which is pretty good but doesn't tell the whole story. The first plane was based in the UK, near the English Channel (RAF Manston Kent) . I looked up the 92nd FBS and didn't find much info but I did find the squadron patches. Since the base is so close to the Channel, I also gave the pilot a snazzy white helmet and an orange "pumpin suit" set of cover-alls. Most of those flights would involve flying over water, so the orange flight suit was important in case things went wrong.
I took a guess on the call sign based on the squadron patch and then looked thru my available call signs then added the last three digits of plane number. Two of the planes were based at Alexandria AFB which became a civilian airport. Same deal, I couldn't find a lot of info but I did find the squadron patches which led to a good callsign. One quick thing about planes that were based in Europe and the UK, they were considered Priority Assignments and the last thing you wanted was the base commander to think you were a hobo. Faded flight suits represented seniority and time spent in an actual combat theatre, but you wouldn't wear one on Air Force One. :playful: BTW, I'm putting together a set of pilot textures for Alpha's George-the-Pilot. Stuff like the orange flight suit, a new darker green flight suit, and a combo of a dark green flight jacket over orange pants. Let me know if you want them and I'll either post the set or e-mail it out. This texture is pretty standard for the old Alpha jets and you can use them with many of their aircraft. The new textures become a bigger deal at higher resolutions.:santahat:
The jet painted in Vietnam-era camo turned out to be a hoot. Its a "Bill And Ted" callsign, if you know what I mean. :playful:
Most of the callsigns came from MAIW. They have hundreds of them and sometimes you just need to look at your installed AI aircraft or check your main MAIW install folder to find one that's accurate. My last trick is to include the ICAO code in the "variation" lines. This makes it much easier to place the plane at the right airport. If I'm also using an add-on airport or AFCAD file, I'll also include a good parking spot.

Anyway, here's the final edit for the aircraft.cfg file:

[fltsim.0]
title=ALPHA F-84F Thunderstreak
sim=F-84F-Thunderstreak
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=ALPHA
ui_variation=1. USAF 92nd FBS EGMH
description=© ALPHA Simulations 2003\n\nRepublic F-84F Thunderstreak\n\nThe F-84F was delivered in November 1952 and was a complete redesign of the earlier F-84 models which had been successful in the Korean conflict. Originally designed as a high speed nuclear strike aircraft, the F-84F found itself in a conventional strike role in the NATO air forces based in Western Europe from 1951-57. 2,713 were built with 450 going to the newly-formed Luftwaffe.This aircraft depicts 92nd FBS serial 52-7101 flown by Col George Berke from RAF Manston Kent in 1957.\n
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
atc_id=52-7101
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=DOG
atc_flight_number=101

[fltsim.1]
title=ALPHA F-84F Thunderstreak 401st TFW
sim=F-84F-Thunderstreak
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=401st
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=ALPHA
ui_variation=2. USAF 401st TFW KAEX
description=Republic F-84 Thunderstreak\n\n51-1759 was assigned to the 401st TFW at Alexandria AFB, Louisiana in 1957.\n
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
atc_id=51-1759
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=KNIGHT
atc_flight_number=59

[fltsim.2]
title=ALPHA F-84F Thunderstreak 131st TFW
sim=F-84F-Thunderstreak
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=131st
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=ALPHA
ui_variation=3. USAF 131st KSTL LFSL RODN
description=Republic F-84 Thunderstreak\n\n131st TFW serial 52-6368 from Missouri ANG, assigned to the wing commander of the 131st TFW during the call up for the Berlin crisis in 1961, transited to Europe during the building of the Berlin wall and based at Toul-Rosieres, France.\n
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
atc_id=52-6368
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=KAYCEE
atc_flight_number=368

[fltsim.3]
title=ALPHA F-84F Thunderstreak 1st Esc.
sim=F-84F-Thunderstreak
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=1st_Esc
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=ALPHA
ui_variation=4. French AF, 1st Esc.
description=Republic F-84 Thunderstreak\n\n1st Escalde, French Air Force 1st Sqn based at Lydda Israel during the Suez crisis of 1956.\n
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
atc_id=F84F
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=

[fltsim.4]
title=ALPHA F-84F Thunderstreak USAF camo
sim=F-84F-Thunderstreak
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=usa
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=ALPHA
ui_variation=5. USAF KMFD camo
description=© ALPHA Simulations 2003\n\nRepublic F-84F Thunderstreak\n\nThe F-84F was delivered in November 1952 and was a complete redesign of the earlier F-84 models which had been successful in the Korean conflict. Originally designed as a high speed nuclear strike aircraft, the F-84F found itself in a conventional strike role in the NATO air forces based in Western Europe from 1951-57. 2,713 were built with 450 going to the newly-formed Luftwaffe.\n
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
atc_id=51-0769
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=BUZZ
atc_flight_number=69

[fltsim.5]
title=ALPHA F-84F Thunderstreak 11659
sim=F-84F-Thunderstreak
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=659
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer=ALPHA
ui_variation=6. 389th FBS 51-1659 KAEX
description=Republic F-84F Thunderstreak\nS/N: 51-1659 from the 389th FBS in 1952.\nBelonging to the 366th FBW Alexandria Air Force Base, Alexandria, La. (USA)\nRepaint by Jaap de Baare
atc_id_color=0000000000
visual_damage=0
atc_id=51-1659
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=TBOLT
atc_flight_number=659

Sbob
October 24th, 2022, 19:49
Last up, I'll cover how I do WWII and Communist Bloc military air craft.

WWII aircraft are tricky. They really didn't use voice comms unless they were in the pattern. Most of the flight was either radio-silent or used Morse Code.
We can "best fit" this for FS by understanding that the "atc_flight_number=" line gives you a lot of latitude in terms of phonetic letters and numbers.
Here's a sample B-17G from Wings Of Power:

[fltsim.2]title=Boeing B-17G "Princess Pat"
texture=princess_pat
ui_manufacturer=Wings of Power
ui_type=Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress
ui_variation=B-17G "Princess Pat"
atc_airline=Army
atc_type=Boeing
atc_model=B17G
atc_id=2102453
atc_airline=B
atc_flight_number=VKJ
atc_heavy=0

What I did was use "Army" for the airline and the letter code on the fuse for the squadron and the tail letter for the individual aircraft. Note that I used "atc_airline=" twice. We need to trick FS into playing ball. As it is now, ATC will call us "Army Victor Kilo Juliette" or just "Victor Kilo Juliette" for short. The second "atc_airline=" line is a dummy which will cause the ATC to go silent for a second but will also force it to use the atc flight number. :wiggle:

For the Communist Bloc aircraft and WWII Axis aircraft, you'll need to check your "airlines.cfg" file. You'll need colors listed like "Red", "Blue", and "White" or "White Star" if you're feeling fancy. Use what you have in the sim and combine that with the letters or numbers painted on the aircraft. For an aircraft with "567" painted on the nose in blue, it would look like this:

atc_airline=BLUE
atc_flight_number=567