PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here live near Kankakee, IL?

Navy Chief
March 10th, 2009, 13:59
My only reason for asking is my parents had some good friends who lived up there, along the river. Both my mom and dad passed away years ago, as have their friends. But I have such good memories of visiting their place in Kankakee. I thought it might be fun to redo that airport for FSX. A side note. Their names were Bob and Alice Klaiss. Bob, I remember, had a 1940's vintage MG. British racing green. Beautiful. I may be wrong, but seems like he said it had a wooden chassis?

NC

Curtis P40
March 10th, 2009, 16:05
How close do you want..I'm about 60 miles SE. I was up to KIKK last July when the Collings B-24/17 and the P-51 were there. On the way there I took the back roads, and ended up following the Iroquois River up to the south side of the airport. Pretty nice along the river, alot of nice homes and the river looked deep enough for speed boats. Something the Wabash around here isn't, unless in floods, like it is now..
Tho I gotta say it looks alot prettier from the bask seat of a P-51...the pic in my Avatar is of that area.
Also ( back in the day) I had a 72 then 76 MG. They both had a steel monocoque body, maybe being back in the 40's with a steel shortage, it might have been wood.
Curt

Trans_23
March 10th, 2009, 16:30
I live about 20 miles north of Kankakee. :wavey:

Navy Chief
March 10th, 2009, 17:48
How close do you want..I'm about 60 miles SE. I was up to KIKK last July when the Collings B-24/17 and the P-51 were there. On the way there I took the back roads, and ended up following the Iroquois River up to the south side of the airport. Pretty nice along the river, alot of nice homes and the river looked deep enough for speed boats. Something the Wabash around here isn't, unless in floods, like it is now..
Tho I gotta say it looks alot prettier from the bask seat of a P-51...the pic in my Avatar is of that area.
Also ( back in the day) I had a 72 then 76 MG. They both had a steel monocoque body, maybe being back in the 40's with a steel shortage, it might have been wood.
Curt

I learned to drive a stick in a 1963 MG Midget, that had a 66 MGB engine. It was my sister's boyfriend at the time. He said, "wanna go get me some gasoline?" I said sure, knowing he just wanted "time alone" with my sister. No problem.

NC