PDA

View Full Version : GAS N3N-3 P3D Legacy FSXA Pre-release sale SOH

Spad54
July 24th, 2022, 11:52
GAS is proud to offer our N3N-3 package at a pre-release discount. to the Community. 15.95 USD The sale period will remain active until 8/1/22. Took longer than expected but we hope you will enjoy the end result and we thank you for your continued support. Best Paul, Gil, and the team

Video:

http://youtu.be/P8LO24M8YQw

Product:
https://www.payloadz.com/go/sip?id=3395986

WarHorse47
July 24th, 2022, 12:29
Got it. Off to fly. Thanks for your efforts. :encouragement:

falcon409
July 24th, 2022, 13:25
Got it. Off to fly. Thanks for your efforts. :encouragement:
Yup, what WH said. . .many thanks!

binarkansas
July 24th, 2022, 18:56
Just got mine also, thanks a bunch. Your modeling skills seem to improve a bit with every new model!

monk1
July 25th, 2022, 11:25
Excellent, I just picked it up. Looking forward to trying it this evening.

Took longer than expected but we hope you will enjoy the end result and we thank you for your continued support. Best Paul, Gil, and the team

Perfect timing actually, AirVenture 2022 just started!

I'm curious which airfield was used in your video?

Disregard, I see it's stated in the credits, Plum Island.

Spad54
July 25th, 2022, 16:57
Excellent, I just picked it up. Looking forward to trying it this evening.

Perfect timing actually, AirVenture 2022 just started!

Disregard, I see it's stated in the credits, Plum Island.

the float plane video was shot using our own scenery Wilmington Terminal

downwind
July 27th, 2022, 09:33
Beautiful model that translates the mass of this airplane to the feel of the controls. What stands out to me is how dynamic the sounds are in all phases of flight: A real "seat of your pants" feel. Thanks for the early bird discount, too.

gray eagle
July 27th, 2022, 12:43
I wanted to install this into my ADDON Scenery folder so I made a xml gauge

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
<AddOn.Name>GAS N3N</AddOn.Name>
<AddOn.Description>GAS N3N</AddOn.Description>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>EFFECTS</Category>
<Path>Effects</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>SimObjects</Category>
<Path>SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

P3D 5 will ask me if I want to include the addon and I select YES and it is added.

After I select the N3N in P3D V5 and hit OK and during the loading process I get this error message

cGaugeSoundClass

The system can not find the path specified

file

Simobjects\\Airplanes\\Gas_BAF_N3N-3\\Sound\\StearmanSND1.wav

When I dismiss the first error then 17 more will pop for the other 17 wav sounds.

I think they may be related to the handcrank start noise.

Anyway there are a few effects that are commen with other GAS products effects - not all but some.

If installed in the Addone folder it makes for a clean uninstall and leave not duplicate files behind.

What xml entry would be needed to load or find the wav sounds?

Thanks

Dangerous Beans
July 27th, 2022, 14:44
I wanted to install this into my ADDON Scenery folder so I made a xml gauge

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
<AddOn.Name>GAS N3N</AddOn.Name>
<AddOn.Description>GAS N3N</AddOn.Description>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>EFFECTS</Category>
<Path>Effects</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>SimObjects</Category>
<Path>SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

P3D 5 will ask me if I want to include the addon and I select YES and it is added.

After I select the N3N in P3D V5 and hit OK and during the loading process I get this error message

cGaugeSoundClass

The system can not find the path specified

file

Simobjects\\Airplanes\\Gas_BAF_N3N-3\\Sound\\StearmanSND1.wav

When I dismiss the first error then 17 more will pop for the other 17 wav sounds.

I think they may be related to the handcrank start noise.

Anyway there are a few effects that are commen with other GAS products effects - not all but some.

If installed in the Addone folder it makes for a clean uninstall and leave not duplicate files behind.

What xml entry would be needed to load or find the wav sounds?

Thanks

Browse to the Panel folder for the plane and open the panel.cfg in notepad

In the [Vcockpit01] section gauge00 points to the custom sounds
change the path specified in it to read the full path where it is installed e.g. mine is
gauge00=GAS_Sound_64!FBGS_XMLSound, 0,0,1,1,E:\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\Golden Age Simulations\SimObjects\Airplanes\GAS NAF N3N-3\Sound\Stearman#19

heywooood
July 27th, 2022, 19:06
They look and sound terrific, Skipper - outstanding effort here by GAS!

I think I must have about 30 or more posts in this forum over the years imploring someone to please make an N3N - and finally here it is, and done with care by the team whose hands
it had always belonged in. Well Done fellers!

Duckie
July 27th, 2022, 19:26
:encouragement: :encouragement: Good job. Thanks for the model and the discount!

gray eagle
July 28th, 2022, 03:47

change the path specified in it to read the full path where it is installed e.g. mine is
gauge00=GAS_Sound_64!FBGS_XMLSound, 0,0,1,1,E:\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\Golden Age Simulations\SimObjects\Airplanes\GAS NAF N3N-3\Sound\Stearman#19

Your suggestion works great! Thanks :encouragement:

Spad54
July 28th, 2022, 05:29
They look and sound terrific, Skipper - outstanding effort here by GAS!

I think I must have about 30 or more posts in this forum over the years imploring someone to please make an N3N - and finally here it is, and done with care by the team whose hands
it had always belonged in. Well Done fellers!

Glad you and all are enjoying it. Thanks.

Spad54
July 28th, 2022, 07:27

Thanks "DB" for posting the solution. I'll add to the POH in the upcoming commercial release. I'm sure others will be grateful. (I am)

falcon409
July 28th, 2022, 08:26
Thanks "DB" for posting the solution. I'll add to the POH in the upcoming commercial release. I'm sure others will be grateful. (I am)
Yep, since I don't use the "Airplanes" folder for any of my addons I always have to remember to change that path accordingly, but of course the Sim will remind you, lol

tgycgijoes
July 29th, 2022, 07:34
My NAS Annapolis repaint for this beautiful aircraft is now available in the Warbirds library. It is unique that it is not pre-WWII; not WWII, BUT post war 1957. Interesting note, yesterday as I was looking at my photos downloaded of NAS Annapolis, I found there there was a "35" in 1950 with a much earlier serial number so I checked out its history on Joe Baugher's Navy and USMC serials but sadly it was missing so I am just going to assume that it crashed. This is a new one with the later serial number. Check it out!

https://i.imgur.com/Sz6PwxR.jpg

WarHorse47
July 29th, 2022, 07:43
My NAS Annapolis repaint for this beautiful aircraft is now available in the Warbirds library. It is unique that it is not pre-WWII; not WWII, BUT post war 1957. Interesting note, yesterday as I was looking at my photos downloaded of NAS Annapolis, I found there there was a "35" in 1950 with a much earlier serial number so I checked out its history on Joe Baugher's Navy and USMC serials but sadly it was missing so I am just going to assume that it crashed. This is a new one with the later serial number. Check it out!

https://i.imgur.com/Sz6PwxR.jpgVery nice. Thanks. Much appreciated. :encouragement:

RKinkor
July 29th, 2022, 08:53

https://i.imgur.com/Sz6PwxR.jpg

and with changing the cfg wording it works just fine as the land plane version as well!

tgycgijoes
July 29th, 2022, 10:43
and with changing the cfg wording it works just fine as the land plane version as well! I saw one photo that had the float removed and wheels replacing it. The Curtiss SOC Seagull was designed this way. though according to Teton Aviation two distinct versions were produced which I am sure SPAD54 was aware of when designing it for GAS though according to a blog they can be changed from one to the other in a couple or hours with experience. Here is a really cool link with a lot of information.https://notastearman.wordpress.com/about-2/

Also here is a link to a video.https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675028329_Naval-Aviation-Academy_plane-takes-off_instructor-in-plane_plane-lands

WarHorse47
July 30th, 2022, 14:15
Thanks again for the "Yellow Peril."

Any suggestions on how to water taxi the float version? After landing I'm all over the place except the dock. :biggrin-new:

Spad54
July 31st, 2022, 05:57
Thanks again for the "Yellow Peril."

Any suggestions on how to water taxi the float version? After landing I'm all over the place except the dock. :biggrin-new:

I'm not exactly sure how the Navy did it. I found that I was reasonable successful getting the float up on the "step" with throttle and dragging the inboard float in the water with full rudder in the direction of the turn. Getting a tight turn was/is tricky. But, here's a "hack" that "fools" the model into thinking it has a water rudder without having to deploy one. It modifies the main float contact points to provide a 45 degree steer angle. Let me know what you think. Back up your .cfg file before trying. Edit the contact points section as shown below.

point.0 = 4, 6.154, -1.663, -7.000, 2200, 0, 0, 45, 0.5, 2.5, 0.891, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0 Lt Strake Fwd
point.1 = 4, -8.285, -1.157, -6.426, 2200, 0, 0, 45, 0.5, 2.5, 0.891, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0 Lt Strake aft
point.2 = 4, 6.154, 1.663, -7.000, 2200, 0, 0, 45, 0.5, 2.5, 0.891, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0 Rt Strake Fwd
point.3 = 4, -8.285, 1.158, -6.426, 2200, 0, 0, 45, 0.5, 2.5, 0.891, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0 Rt Strake aft
point.4 = 4, -3.265, -14.171, -5.159, 2200, 0, 0, 0, 0.5, 2.5, 0.891, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0 Lt Wingtip float
point.5 = 4, -3.265, 14.171, -5.159, 2200, 0, 0, 0, 0.5, 2.5, 0.891, 0, 0, 2, 0, 0 Rt Wingtip float

I suggest you use ailerons during the turn to keep you wings level and avoid dragging the onboard float too much. Also keep speed under control or you’ll be swimming home.

WarHorse47
July 31st, 2022, 08:16
Thanks for the hack. I was thinking the same thing (e.g., invisible water rudder) but didn't know how to do it.

In researching the N3N-3 float I came across this video which you've likely seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRakmf8b0sY

Notice it has a water rudder - which I hadn't seen on others.

Spad54
July 31st, 2022, 09:12
Thanks for the hack. I was thinking the same thing (e.g., invisible water rudder) but didn't know how to do it.

In researching the N3N-3 float I came across this video which you've likely seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRakmf8b0sY

Notice it has a water rudder - which I hadn't seen on others.

I had not seen that video. Clearly the addition of the water rudder was done after its military service and probably to improve the water taxi performance. Thanks for that none the less.

tgycgijoes
July 31st, 2022, 09:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4eBDnPZ00Y

A real N3N-3 on the water video not BW but now. Oops didn't see this was the same video as above. I have the actual Navy POH for both the -1 and the -3 but they do not do anything for the float version just the land version.

WarHorse47
July 31st, 2022, 13:13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4eBDnPZ00Y

A real N3N-3 on the water video not BW but now. Oops didn't see this was the same video as above. I have the actual Navy POH for both the -1 and the -3 but they do not do anything for the float version just the land version.Yeah, it's Part 2 of what I posted. The first half is a repeat of Part 1.

What I noticed is that the rudder was unpainted in the first video, and painted in the second. Still nice to watch.

BTW - are you planning any more repaints?

tgycgijoes
July 31st, 2022, 16:18
Yeah, it's Part 2 of what I posted. The first half is a repeat of Part 1.

What I noticed is that the rudder was unpainted in the first video, and painted in the second. Still nice to watch.

BTW - are you planning any more repaints? I will probably look at all my downloads and see if I find any that are interesting and not too similar to Paul's or mine.

Spad54
August 1st, 2022, 14:10
The link for the discount will be extended until the weekend. By then the vendor network should have the model in their stores. Thanks to all who have supported us with your purchases. Know that we appreciate all this still using the legacy simulators and P3D. We’re doing another warbird trainer next. The Meyers OTW 160

paul day
August 1st, 2022, 23:00
I have tried to purchase using clicking on the credit card link, but no joy. Has anybody managed to buy it with the credit card link?

Regards Paul Day.

Spad54
August 2nd, 2022, 04:17
I have tried to purchase using clicking on the credit card link, but no joy. Has anybody managed to buy it with the credit card link?

Regards Paul Day.

the purchase link should be taking you to PayPal and you can use a credit card there. Please PM me.
P.S. just tested it checking out as guest and it went right through.

WarHorse47
August 3rd, 2022, 07:29
I will probably look at all my downloads and see if I find any that are interesting and not too similar to Paul's or mine.Lots of choices from what I see on Airliners.net, military and private schemes. Be curious as to what you find.

tgycgijoes
August 3rd, 2022, 13:06
Lots of choices from what I see on Airliners.net, military and private schemes. Be curious as to what you find. I probably won't be doing any more repaints for the present. I looked online using Joe Baugher's registration for civil numbers and then at the blog but didn't see anything I really liked or thought someone else would like except for one which has a cowling over the engine. A ton of them were converted to crop dusters according to Joe B and a lot crashed.

Mike71
August 3rd, 2022, 15:25
Here is a sample of an artificial water rudder from the Virtavia HU-16 that may be of help (an outstanding piece of payware by the way): you need the coding for each contact point line though, readily available

//0 Class (1= landing gear/2= scrape point/3= skid point /4= float/5= water rudder)

point.14= 5, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 2000.00, 0, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.10, 0.10, 0, 0, 0 //Artificial water rudder

tgycgijoes
August 3rd, 2022, 19:10
Here is a sample of an artificial water rudder from the Virtavia HU-16 that may be of help (an outstanding piece of payware by the way): you need the coding for each contact point line though, readily available

//0 Class (1= landing gear/2= scrape point/3= skid point /4= float/5= water rudder)

point.14= 5, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 2000.00, 0, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.00, 0.10, 0.10, 0, 0, 0 //Artificial water rudder Thanks Mike71

fsafranek
August 3rd, 2022, 20:39
the purchase link should be taking you to PayPal and you can use a credit card there. Please PM me.
P.S. just tested it checking out as guest and it went right through.
Just picked it up. Thank you very much. Looks like a real gem.
And thanks others for the comments. I'll no doubt have to apply some since I run P3Dv5.?.
:ernaehrung004:

Spad54
August 4th, 2022, 12:19
Just picked it up. Thank you very much. Looks like a real gem.
And thanks others for the comments. I'll no doubt have to apply some since I run P3Dv5.?.
:ernaehrung004:
It was built and tested in P3D V 5.3. If you place it in an addon folder you need to follow some of the advice here to avoid a sound file error.

WarHorse47
August 5th, 2022, 09:58
I probably won't be doing any more repaints for the present. I looked online using Joe Baugher's registration for civil numbers and then at the blog but didn't see anything I really liked or thought someone else would like except for one which has a cowling over the engine. A ton of them were converted to crop dusters according to Joe B and a lot crashed.Too bad. I saw a few on Airliners.net with military and civilian schemes without a cowling that someone might take on. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills nor the time due to real life issues to even attempt creating an addon texture.

Duckie
August 5th, 2022, 19:53
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but is there a paintkit for it? Asking for a friend!

Sieggie
August 6th, 2022, 05:41
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but is there a paintkit for it? Asking for a friend!

Yes in both Paintshop Pro and Photoshop.

Dave

WarHorse47
August 6th, 2022, 06:42
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but is there a paintkit for it? Asking for a friend!Yes. For FSXA look in the root directory for the Golden Age Simulations folder.

Duckie
August 6th, 2022, 13:51
Yes in both Paintshop Pro and Photoshop.

Dave

Yes. For FSXA look in the root directory for the Golden Age Simulations folder.

Thanks Dave and WH47... long as I've been doing this I can never remember to look in the root directory folders for docs and paint kits!

WarHorse47
August 6th, 2022, 17:02
Thanks Dave and WH47... long as I've been doing this I can never remember to look in the root directory folders for docs and paint kits!Welcome. Glad you're looking at getting your paint brush out. :encouragement:

Spad54
August 7th, 2022, 04:31
Thanks to all how supported us with their purchase of the N3N-3. Given how the market has changed, the response exceeded our expectations and we are glad to see folks enjoying the model. The link for the offer has expired. We remain committed to P3D and Legacy FSX for the time being. Our next project is another "warbird" perhaps not as well known, The Meyers OTW.

downwind
August 7th, 2022, 06:41
My GAS N3N does not seem to have functioning navigation (wing) lights, although the lens are clearly there and the panel lighting works.

Spad54
August 7th, 2022, 08:54
My GAS N3N does not seem to have functioning navigation (wing) lights, although the lens are clearly there and the panel lighting works.

How did you install it? The lights are modeled into the model and use a specific effect, the files for it including the texture are in the Effects folder in the installer. If you placed the model in any location other that the default location provided by the installer you will need to assure that those files are available to the model.

tgycgijoes
August 7th, 2022, 09:07
I had this happen before with a Stearman and I discovered that I had not installed the effects as instructed in the install readme. Be sure you have the effects that SPAD54 listed.

WarHorse47
August 7th, 2022, 09:11
Thanks to all how supported us with their purchase of the N3N-3. Given how the market has changed, the response exceeded our expectations and we are glad to see folks enjoying the model. The link for the offer has expired. We remain committed to P3D and Legacy FSX for the time being. Our next project is another "warbird" perhaps not as well known, The Meyers OTW.Thanks for doing the N3N-3. I'm really enjoying the float model with all the water runways in the PNW. Looking forward to your next project. :encouragement:

downwind
August 7th, 2022, 10:20
Got my lights and effects all working. Thank you.

Spad54
August 7th, 2022, 11:59
Got my lights and effects all working. Thank you.
Great. Thanks for the update.

gray eagle
August 7th, 2022, 12:43
Great. Thanks for the update.

As an aside, I've noticed that a few of your versions of the Stearman and this N3N use a few of the same effects, so for that reason, I installed GAS products in my addon folder so
as to not eliminate any effects that share the same name; if I were to remove one of the GAS aircraft, I would want to avoid the possibility of crippling any installed GAS products.

Spad54
August 7th, 2022, 14:13
As an aside, I've noticed that a few of your versions of the Stearman and this N3N use a few of the same effects, so for that reason, I installed GAS products in my addon folder so as to not eliminate any effects that share the same name; if I were to remove one of the GAS aircraft, I would want to avoid the possibility of crippling any installed GAS products.
Thanks Gray Eagle for posting this advice.

Dangerous Beans
August 7th, 2022, 15:16
Well that depends on how you arrange your addons folder in P3D

I'm not a fan of every plane being completely separate so I have mine arranged by developer/publisher, that way the Sim only has to call on one add-on.xml per dev/pub instead of one for every single plane.

e.g. for GAS I have "E:\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\Golden Age Simulations" with Effects, Gauges and SimObjects in that.

I also don't install directly where possible, I install to a temp folder and copy across.
If I delete a plane I'm not too fused about orphaned effect or gauge files, If a plane doesn't call on them the Sim doesn't know there there so they wont have any affect on loading or memory usage.

WarHorse47
August 12th, 2022, 06:54
Thanks Dave and WH47... long as I've been doing this I can never remember to look in the root directory folders for docs and paint kits!Duckie, have you looked at some new textures? Just curious. :very_drunk:

Duckie
August 12th, 2022, 09:31
Duckie, have you looked at some new textures? Just curious. :very_drunk:

Actually I am currently working on Green 43 for FSX.

WarHorse47
August 14th, 2022, 09:36
Actually I am currently working on Green 43 for FSX.

88129Looking forward to it. :encouragement:

WarHorse47
August 23rd, 2022, 12:05
Hmmmm... Still no repaints.... :173go1:

Duckie
August 29th, 2022, 19:57
I really am working on one. Still A bunch to do.

WarHorse47
September 5th, 2022, 10:35
I really am working on one. Still A bunch to do.

88276Thanks. Always looking forward to your work. :encouragement:

srgalahad
September 5th, 2022, 11:56
If you like the N3N on floats...

Courtesy of Mikey McBryan:
An amazing shot of the Northern Lights last night by @stellaheidorn (https://twitter.com/stellaheidorn)

Yellowknife NT Sept 3rd

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FbvIFVdX0AAkwiB?format=jpg&name=small