PDA

View Full Version : FSX Gold vs FSX-SE for Sim Rebuild?

TARPSBird
November 27th, 2021, 15:10
Last week my PC gave me the "Black Screen of Death" while I was getting a cup of coffee. If my computer repair folks can't recover the data on the bad HD my entire FSX and FS9 installs are down the drain. Yes, it's my fault for not doing proper back-ups. :banghead: With that admission off my chest, my question is: If you were starting over in FSX would you stay with the FSX Gold with Acceleration disk set or go with FSX Steam Edition?

blanston12
November 27th, 2021, 15:15
Actually I would probably go with Steam Edition, only because it does have some bug fixes in it that would not be present in the original Gold edition.

Dangerous Beans
November 27th, 2021, 15:47
I agree with Joe
Also you wont have to jump through hoops activating it.

Spad54
November 27th, 2021, 19:33
Steam would be the way to go. We build for it and if you had any of our models we will replace them at no charge. Just PM me

stansdds
November 28th, 2021, 04:15
With my new computer I made the switch from boxed FSX Acceleration to FSX Steam Edition. Installation was a breeze, although I do recommend installing it a directory other than C:\Program Files (x86).

fsafranek
November 28th, 2021, 21:41
The Steam version also got some updates that the boxed version never did.
:ernaehrung004:

huub vink
November 28th, 2021, 22:19
I'm with the rest. I went to the steam edition when I bought a new computer and never regretted it.

Cheers,
Huub

centuryseries
November 29th, 2021, 00:21
What were the updates in the Steam edition?

stansdds
November 29th, 2021, 01:38
The Steam Edition included many of the "tweaks" that you used to have to perform to the sims's cfg file. There were also some fixes for how FSX handles memory, so crashes due to FSX running out of memory are reduced.

TARPSBird
November 29th, 2021, 10:50
Thank you everybody for your comments. Fortunately my old Windows 7 HD with my (not real big) FSX-SE install on it is intact so I still have some of my FSX airpower. Can I safely copy the original FSX-SE over to my new HD? Or are there registry entries that Steam would look for when I tried to start the sim?

Jorge
November 29th, 2021, 11:31
Don't quote me on this, but I believe you just go online with Steam and then install all your Steam games/software on the new hard drive. Make sure you have backups of any of the add-ons since you may or may not have to re-register them, depending on whether they are paid or free.

I have FSX-SE on my home computer and on my Surface as well. As long as I have Steam running in the background (online or offline) when I try to "fly" the sim on either one, things will work as advertised. Don't have any payware other than the DX10 add-on, but that's only on my home computer.

Haven't flown FSX for a while, though. Mostly back to FS9 with classic stuff now.

From what I understand, apart from the fixes all being applied as already mentioned, the FSX-SE version of the sim was also recompiled using newer compiling software. I believe it was the same if not a similar software that Lockheed used to recompile and improve the thing as P3D. This should be another reason there aren't that many crashes of this version of the sim.

Regards,

Jorge

tommieboy
December 1st, 2021, 17:03
....Haven't flown FSX for a while, though. Mostly back to FS9 with classic stuff now....

Well, that is something we don't hear every day. I have to admit that for me FS9 was a lot more fun than FSX. I miss the airplane of the month club. :biggrin-new:

My avatar is from FS9 too.

Tommy

TARPSBird
December 1st, 2021, 21:57
Based on the responses I've received here I've installed FSX-SE on my new Windows 7 HD and so far everything is working fine. Just default planes right now except for Paul Clawson's Northrop BT-1 which has been one of my favorites since I first installed FSX. Also installed AICarriers and have done some Carrier Qual with the BT-1 on Yanco's Battle of Midway US CV's. Thanks again everybody and if anyone else wants to put their two cents in here about FSX-SE by all means post away. :encouragement:

centuryseries
December 2nd, 2021, 11:27
Well, that is something we don't hear every day. I have to admit that for me FS9 was a lot more fun than FSX. I miss the airplane of the month club. :biggrin-new:

My avatar is from FS9 too.

Tommy

Crikey your Avatar brings back memories, most of them good. I miss being on the team, used to enjoy the forum and the buzz with new projects every few months.

fsafranek
December 2nd, 2021, 18:40
Crikey your Avatar brings back memories, most of them good. I miss being on the team, used to enjoy the forum and the buzz with new projects every few months.
Yes, those were good times indeed. We had a good crew.
:ernaehrung004: