PDA

View Full Version : OFF topic: Spell check

jmig
November 23rd, 2021, 04:51
For the last few weeks, I have noticed that the spell checker isn't working for me. I know of nothing I did to turn it off, nor do I see haw to turn it on. Since, this is the only forum (within SOH) I currently post in, I am posting this here. Tom, feel free to move it if it is in the wrong location.

PRB
November 23rd, 2021, 08:03
Haven't been able to duplicate so far. Is it the same across all browsers?

jmig
November 23rd, 2021, 08:19
I haven't used anything but MS EDGE. I can try it with a different browser.

jmig
November 23rd, 2021, 08:25
Okay, it is MS EDGE. I am on Chrome and the spell checker is working. If only MSFS issues were so easy to solve.

Thanks PRB,

PRB
November 23rd, 2021, 08:34
Interesting. Spell checker works for me in Edge. Are you using the old Edge or the new Chrome based Edge?

Dangerous Beans
November 23rd, 2021, 09:51
In the search bar next to the start button search for typing
All the spelling, autocorrect and other such settings should be in there.

Chrome has its own built in spell checker so wont be affected by this but I would assume that Edge will.

jmig
November 23rd, 2021, 11:10
Interesting. Spell checker works for me in Edge. Are you using the old Edge or the new Chrome based Edge?

Whatever one that came with Win 11.

jmig
November 23rd, 2021, 11:13
In the search bar next to the start button search for typing
All the spelling, autocorrect and other such settings should be in there.

Chrome has its own built in spell checker so wont be affected by this but I would assume that Edge will.
This is what I see in EDGE.

Tom Clayton
November 23rd, 2021, 14:11
I don't mind occasional OT posts, especially when it sort-of has to do with the forum...

In Edge, click the three-dot menu icon in the top-right, then go to Settings. At the top of the left bar, search for spell to get to those settings. Hope that helps...

Dangerous Beans
November 23rd, 2021, 14:25
This is what I see in EDGE.

Hi John
I meant on the main desktop but I didn't realise you was running Win11. The instructions where for Win10 so I have no idea if its the same or not. Also I've never used Edge, I use Chrome with Google logged in for most stuff or Firefox with Duck Duck Go for stuff I don't want in my search history :)

Anyway it sounds like Tom may have pointed you in the right direction.

jmig
November 23rd, 2021, 14:53
I don't mind occasional OT posts, especially when it sort-of has to do with the forum...

In Edge, click the three-dot menu icon in the top-right, then go to Settings. At the top of the left bar, search for spell to get to those settings. Hope that helps...

Thanks Tom. I checked and technically it is turned on. I will just compose in Word, if need be. Or use a different browser.

DennyA
November 23rd, 2021, 16:29
jmig,

Microsoft has an Editor add-on for Edge and Chrome that beefs up the spell checker and adds grammar checks. I imagine if you install that, it'll re-enable spell checking for you in Edge.

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/microsoft-editor-spellin/hokifickgkhplphjiodbggjmoafhignh

Dangerousdave26
November 23rd, 2021, 18:17
Spell check is a fucntion of the browser and not a forummm function.

Those words were misspelled on purpose to see if it worked. It does for me. I am on Windows 10 and I tested in Edge Version 96.0.1054.29 (Official build) (64-bit).

It is running an update now so lets see what happens with the newest version.

Dangerousdave26
November 23rd, 2021, 18:27
THis verstion also has spell check working.

Version 96.0.1054.34 (Official build) (64-bit)

I did a bit of looking and found this thread.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/spell-check-not-working-on-edge-browser-on/b1d9739a-82ab-43b9-84db-56ff71b53d11

Look at the post by prakharbs

Then read the post below it by WuzzyWoozle

It looks like he saw an option to spell check while typing. I don't see this option but my spell check is working.