PDA

View Full Version : Marine Air Wing Conversion ???

Donald Piper
March 7th, 2009, 13:33
I have the zip file in my documents but after unzipping the file I find that they don't all transfer out or those that do are empty. - is it me? or ???

Rami
March 7th, 2009, 13:42
No, it's not. There appears to be a corruption in the .zip file.

Donald Piper
March 7th, 2009, 13:47
Thank you Rami, I appreciate the hot 'scoop'...

Makehaven
March 7th, 2009, 14:17
No, it's not. There appears to be a corruption in the .zip file.

Thanks for the Head's Up, sorry. Don't know where the problem is but I'm working on it. My own zip copy here extracts just fine. I'll try to re-upload the thing.

Makehaven
March 7th, 2009, 14:54
Well, I'm stumped, guys. Just downloaded a copy myself and it opened just right. I'm using an 'Evaluation Copy' of WinZip, but even so once downloaded I simply extracted the very first folder that appears: "usmc_conversion" to a Test folder and all its contents foldered out perfectly. Shook me up so however that even before testing the download... I uploaded an UPDATE.zip in belief there was a zip corruption in transit.

But that ain't it. So... its opening fine when I download it. Don't doubt for a moment you had problems but can't for the life of me figure out what they could be. I didn't select any "Folder Names" options, so try just extracting that first "usmc_conversion" folder.

But if its a problem for everyone I'll just have to contact the Admins about removing the .zip till I get it straightened out.

Sorry for the problems.

Jagdflieger
March 7th, 2009, 15:53
Unlike my usual .zip file procedure, I had to right click on the file and then select "Extract Here" from the options. Once I did that, it opened up fine.

Rami
March 7th, 2009, 15:57
Cool! Thanks, Jagd!

Makehaven
March 7th, 2009, 16:03
Unlike my usual .zip file procedure, I had to right click on the file and then select "Extract Here" from the options. Once I did that, it opened up fine.

Geeze... thanks for letting me know- was goin' stir-crazy here. Haven't used WinZip in years and no doubt I didn't properly configure the "Add to WinZip" function. Sorry for the trouble.

Donald Piper
March 7th, 2009, 18:06
Well I right clicked - hit extract all and my Extraction Wizard spit out: "file skipped unknown compression method".
But hey, I still interested. don

Makehaven
March 7th, 2009, 19:03
Well I right clicked - hit extract all and my Extraction Wizard spit out: "file skipped unknown compression method".

But hey, I still interested. don

Blast WinZip anyway, or at least my ineptitude with it. Used Max compression mode so maybe that's the problem, or maybe 'cause I'm using version 10.0, but if I compress on normal the zip file's over 18,000kb. BTW, I never use either right or left mouse clicks- I just highlite contents by clicking on the 'Select All' tab then on 'Extract To'.

Hope not everyone's having this problem and that I knew how to eliminate it. Of course, if you have WinRar I could always e-mail it to you in that format.

Jagdflieger
March 7th, 2009, 19:41
Makehaven,

It must be due to the max compression. I rezipped it up in normal win.zip format and I can send it to you and you can re-upload it if you'd like.

I wouldn't upload anything in .rar format as that causes more problems than you can shake a stick at.

Send me a Private Message (PM) with your address and I'll send you the new .zip file. It's 11 megs, so it might be a bit large for your internet service.

Makehaven
March 7th, 2009, 19:44
Guys... maybe you can help me out on this WinZip v10.0 I'm trying to use effectively. Aside from "Normal", which results in over twice the max size allowable, I'm offered four 'Maximum' compression options: 1-PPMd, 2-Bzip2, 3-Enhanced deflate, or 4-Enhance portable. I threw a dart and picked the first... perhaps foolishly.

Other option would be to compress on 'Normal' and upload only the 'Full Install' version of 2nd MAW's Conversion. Don't know if that would solve the problem, but "Unknown Compression Method" disturbs me. On 'Normal' compression, size shouldn't be a problem, and I could send up a Part Two (permitting install of some elements but not others for those who wish to pick & choose).

Whatcha' think? Hate that there's maybe scads of downloaders out there with same difficulties. Though so far at least I've had no other complaints.

Makehaven
March 7th, 2009, 19:46
Makehaven,

It must be due to the max compression. I rezipped it up in normal win.zip format and I can send it to you and you can re-upload it if you'd like.

I wouldn't upload anything in .rar format as that causes more problems than you can shake a stick at.

Send me a Private Message (PM) with your address and I'll send you the new .zip file. It's 11 megs, so it might be a bit large for your internet service.

Deal. And thanks.

voyager
March 8th, 2009, 09:52
I used 7-Zip to open the original file without any problems. 7-Zip also opens RaR files.

voyager

Boatz
March 8th, 2009, 10:39
From WinZips web site:
http://www.winzip.com/whatsnew100.htm

WinZip 10.0 supports two new compression methods within the Zip file format, PPMd and bzip2. These compression methods can provide greater compression and may significantly reduce the size of your Zip files, saving both data transmission time and valuable disk space.

Note: extracting files compressed with PPMd or bzip2 requires a compatible Zip file utility. Currently WinZip 9.0 and 10.0 will process Zip files compressed using the bzip2 method. WinZip 10.0 is required for PPMd-compressed files.

Makehaven
March 8th, 2009, 11:22
From WinZips web site:

http://www.winzip.com/whatsnew100.htm (http://www.winzip.com/whatsnew100.htm)

WinZip 10.0 supports two new compression methods within the Zip file format, PPMd and bzip2. These compression methods can provide greater compression and may significantly reduce the size of your Zip files, saving both data transmission time and valuable disk space.

Note: extracting files compressed with PPMd or bzip2 requires a compatible Zip file utility. Currently WinZip 9.0 and 10.0 will process Zip files compressed using the bzip2 method. WinZip 10.0 is required for PPMd-compressed files.

Yes, evidentally the WinZip version I downloaded for this express purpose (it was the oldest I could find) mandates compression modes that are incompatable with several other versions, if you want any significant reduction in overall file size. However, Jagdflieger has un-zipped & re-compressed the download using a more universally compatable WinZip version and has generously offered to e-mail it to me to re-upload as an Update. I'll put that up ASAP, which should make it much more accessable to other members.

Wow. Didn't realize this uploading would be such a bear for me. I just hope the 'game is worth the candle'.

Shadow Wolf 07
March 8th, 2009, 11:40
My "extract here" attempt failed too... empty folders as described above. I tried both downloads and got the same results.

Makehaven
March 8th, 2009, 12:36
I used 7-Zip to open the original file without any problems. 7-Zip also opens RaR files.

voyager

Curiouser and curiouser... just downloaded a version 7 Winzip which compresses full package to 195mb, but when opened reveals no folders- probably a mis-configuration on my part; 'cause when I open it with WinRar the folders are quite plain to see, all arranged in proper order.

Makehaven
March 8th, 2009, 12:51
Curiouser and curiouser... just downloaded a version 7 Winzip which compresses full package to 195mb, but when opened reveals no folders- probably a mis-configuration on my part; 'cause when I open it with WinRar the folders are quite plain to see, all arranged in proper order.

Correction... Win v7 compressed to 19mb. Should I go ahead & attempt a new Update upload using WinZip 7?

voyager
March 8th, 2009, 14:25
Forget about 7-Zip. It did open the file and a quick glance showed file, folders, .dats, bmps, etc. but when I just tried to install it everything was 0 bytes.

Sorry. Should have tried to install it before I said that 7-Zip worked. It still does open RaR files and it is free.

voyager

Makehaven
March 8th, 2009, 14:29
Thanks Voyager... but too late now. I've just uploaded Update using v7's compression. Never yet been called a Dunce, but beginning to feel like one.

Makehaven

miamieagle
March 8th, 2009, 14:53
Thank you for your effort and I hope you will continue to participate with new uploads.:ernae:

Makehaven
March 8th, 2009, 15:02
Forget about 7-Zip. It did open the file and a quick glance showed file, folders, .dats, bmps, etc. but when I just tried to install it everything was 0 bytes.

Sorry. Should have tried to install it before I said that 7-Zip worked. It still does open RaR files and it is free.

voyager

The new MAW 'Corrective' Update is posted now, compressed with Win7- give it a try. My own Win7 opened it just fine... but I don't know what to trust anymore.

Makehaven
March 8th, 2009, 15:06
Thank you for your effort and I hope you will continue to participate with new uploads.:ernae:

Mighty kind of you, miamieagle... on pins 'n needles here to see if the new 'Corrective" update is more accessable. Feels like Opening Night on Broadway, when... everything goes wrong. :wavey:

tenspeed
March 8th, 2009, 15:24
Did this ever get re-uploaded?

Makehaven
March 8th, 2009, 15:27
Did this ever get re-uploaded?

Yes. In Add-Ons. Now I just need to see if it's accessable to a wider audience. Thanks for asking.

sc7500
March 8th, 2009, 16:03
No Joy Here, MH ~ I use 7-Zip all the time, but the files d/l'd will not open.

I can SEE them in the folder, but they refuse to copy to desktop...

Sorry for the bad news, bud
SC
:kilroy:

Makehaven
March 8th, 2009, 17:38
No Joy Here, MH ~ I use 7-Zip all the time, but the files d/l'd will not open.

I can SEE them in the folder, but they refuse to copy to desktop...

Sorry for the bad news, bud
SC

Then my bag of tricks is empty. Results not likely worth the effort anyway. Took awhile and I thought the work was at least adequate but who’m I to judge. Limited appeal to boot. Perhaps some at least of the 60 or 70 downloaders were able to extract contents, for whatever they’re worth. Have successfully e-mailed ‘Normal’ compressed versions to a few individuals, both off v10 & v7, but of course download times are forbidding. Ironic; I can convert CFS2 - but WinZip’s beyond my ken. Time to Chalk it Up. :hand:

Jagdflieger
March 8th, 2009, 18:14
I'll upload it for you tonight.

Update: I just downloaded version 3 and it seems to unzip fine. I'll hold off uploading until we get some feedback on it.

Makehaven
March 8th, 2009, 18:33
I'll upload it for you tonight.

Update: I just downloaded version 3 and it seems to unzip fine. I'll hold off uploading until we get some feedback on it.

1- Thanks, Pal.
2- I'm gettin' out my WinZip manual.
3- 'Fore I upload anything again I'm e-mailing it to my Sis for verification.
4- Don't I owe you a beer, or a box a' chocolates or somethin'?
:ernae:

Talon
March 8th, 2009, 18:35
It unzipped fine for me.

Talon

voyager
March 8th, 2009, 18:53
Number 3 opened for me too.

Makehaven
March 8th, 2009, 19:00
Number 3 opened for me too.

One or two more like that I might sleep tonight. Thanks for the input, fella's.
:sleep:

sc7500
March 8th, 2009, 23:18
All files opened to my desktop ~ Nice Work !

[Thanks for the extra effort, Jag !]

Thank You
SC

tenspeed
March 9th, 2009, 09:01
3 worked for me.

Thanks

olaf1924
March 9th, 2009, 09:08
no problems on this end. I am using winzip.

Makehaven
March 9th, 2009, 09:33
Thanks everyone. Really. Apparently a good deal more members have been able to extract contents than before. All credit due to your generous advice and assistance. Odd; seems sooner or later friends never fail to let you down - but strangers with a common interest always come through. Here's to you... :ernae: