PDA

View Full Version : Maybe someone here can help me.

AussieMan
October 10th, 2021, 02:26
Can someone head me in the right direction in MSFS as regards to finding how to activate the navaids please. I have searched through everything but still cannot find them.

Tom Clayton
October 10th, 2021, 09:16
How do you mean Activate? If you're talking about on the world map, they're hidden by default. Click the More button at the bottom, then pull up the map filters. Navaids are down at the bottom of the list.

AussieMan
October 10th, 2021, 14:29
​Thanks Tom. I knew it had something to do with the world map.

Tom Clayton
October 10th, 2021, 19:57
When the sim first came out, it would save your filter preferences in the map. It doesn't do that now. But you can change the defaults if you're comfortable with some minor edits in xml. Look in the Official folder and find the fs-base\worldmap folder. There's a file there called WorldmapFilters.xml that holds the defaults. I always have to edit this after every update, but only once. I turn off the POI's, Fauna, and Cities, then turn on the navaids. The entries are mostly in order as they appear in-sim, so scroll down a bit. Here's a screenshot of where to edit:

AussieMan
October 11th, 2021, 02:23
​Thanks Tom I will look into that.

AussieMan
October 11th, 2021, 14:00
That worked Tom. went in an changed the .xml and now Navaids are on by default. I hope this will help others.

hubbabubba
October 11th, 2021, 17:10
It will certainly help me!:jump: Thanks for the tip.
Just did it; Yeah!:applause:

Tom Clayton
October 12th, 2021, 12:05
Just remember that sim and world updates will usually reset that file to default.

tiger1962
October 13th, 2021, 04:02
Just remember that sim and world updates will usually reset that file to default.

They certainly do, and in my case they seem to do it by downloading an addition 20Gb of system files every time to replace this one!
To avoid this, I've created a Community folder mod for it which is working perfectly on my system, once I've written the instructions for editing the WorldmapFilters.xml I'll upload it to the library here.
Thanks for sharing this idea in the first place Tom, I'll mention you in the credits.

EDIT: It's in the library now under FS2020 - Other.

Tom Clayton
October 13th, 2021, 12:17
You should throw it up to the .to site too. There are a lot of users on the main forum that wish the WM filter had the same persistence it had when the sim was first released.

tiger1962
October 14th, 2021, 03:37
Thanks Tom, I've only just uploaded it due to the website problems at flightsim.to yesterday - I think they were hacked, at one point a very rude picture appeared in place of an a330 repaint.
One other thought on the sim updates replacing files: it seems to happen to me even when I change the file back to the default settings, so maybe the updater checks the "last modified date" of each file and replaces anything more recent than the last update?

FlameOut
October 14th, 2021, 15:12
very rude picture appeared....

I remember a guy made a repaint of an aircraft "P@&n Hub" ... I reported him to the sites admin.

.... anyways we are getting off topic .... we are here to help one another.

YoYo
October 14th, 2021, 21:14
Tom, good find! Thank You! It drives me crazy when each time I must turn on, default is OFF always! :banghead:
What is strange its easy to fix as we see….. so why Asobo didnt fix it yet, dont know (its a bug and many write about it on MSFS or Avsim forum). LOL!

Tom Clayton
October 15th, 2021, 10:56
There have been several threads closed and merged on the official board about giving users a "persistent" filter for the world map. As I said before, it was persistent on the initial release, then it was broken one or two updates into the run. It has been a Wishlist item for several months.

YoYo
October 15th, 2021, 12:15
There have been several threads closed and merged on the official board about giving users a "persistent" filter for the world map. As I said before, it was persistent on the initial release, then it was broken one or two updates into the run. It has been a Wishlist item for several months.

Probably, the next update will do something with this, will see but from now it works for me again! Thx! :applause:

http://i.imgur.com/1BO2f7um.jpg (https://imgur.com/1BO2f7u)