PDA

View Full Version : Might be gone for awhile

falcon409
September 15th, 2021, 08:58
Well in aviation they say that a mishap isn’t just the result of one thing it’s always a chain of events that lead up to the accident. Well in this case it kind of follows the same thinking. I have my computer tower sitting on a pedestal next to my computer desk. It sits lower than my desk and I keep the panel open to the air to get better ventilation. While I was working on doing some texture work on a UH one Huey and my water bottle was sitting on the right hand side I inadvertently bumped it, it fell down along side the computer, I heard a loud pop and everything went dead.

I disconnected everything from the back of the computer, took it outside, hooked up my compressor and blew out everything and as near as I can tell the water only hit the area where the power supply is mounted. I am hoping that it’s nothing more than the power supply that short circuited and it has to be replaced. However worst case scenario would be that not only did it short circuit but it also sent a surge that burned out the motherboard. If that happens to be the case I will not be back. If I had the money to replace the motherboard and any other components that might’ve been hit by the surging power supply I would have done that sometime ago in order to be able to use the new flight Sim, MSFS, but that’s not the case.

Time will tell. For now, at least I have my iPhone to communicate.

Moses03
September 15th, 2021, 09:38
Dam Ed, sorry. Hope you are back in business soon with the least amount of fuss and bother.

tommieboy
September 15th, 2021, 10:02
My tower also sits lower than my desk and has fans that exhaust through the top of the case; a disaster waiting to happen......again! Yeah, it would not be the first time that I spilt a cup of coffee down into the case. Unfortunately there is nowhere else to place the tower.

Tommy

Building a better mouse trap? Now if it tips over, it won't spill into the case!

:encouragement::encouragement:

https://i.imgur.com/NpDx6pO.jpg?1

spokes2112
September 15th, 2021, 14:16
Whoah - That sucks Ed!
Wishing you the best of luck it's only the PSU.

b24_witchcraft
September 15th, 2021, 15:18
Wow sorry to hear this Ed.

Wishing you the best of luck repairing your computer. Hopefully it's just the PSU too. #sendingprayersandgoodthoughts

huub vink
September 15th, 2021, 15:19
Sorry to hear this Ed. I hope the damage is not as severe as expected!

Fingers crossed,
Huub

Jafo
September 15th, 2021, 17:19
I have my fingers crossed for you too.
Last christmas I had a spike go through via my sound system....all the rest was on a UPS....I lost my CPU, MoBo, GPU....and sound system. $2000 AUD later.....

tgycgijoes
September 15th, 2021, 18:25
Praying that its nothing but the power supply and you can find one cheaply to replace it. I hope that KASH is not the last thing we work on together.

stansdds
September 16th, 2021, 01:43
Sorry to hear of your computer disaster, hopefully it is just the power supply and nothing else got fried.

You should really look into a computer that has one of these retractable cup holders. They are great!

:wink-new:

tommieboy
September 16th, 2021, 09:30
WOW, I have to go back and reread my Cooler Master HAF case manual. Seems I missed that! And to think it was there all along!

:encouragement::encouragement:

Tommy

Sorry to hear of your computer disaster, hopefully it is just the power supply and nothing else got fried.

You should really look into a computer that has one of these retractable cup holders. They are great!

:wink-new:

falcon409
September 16th, 2021, 11:50
Thanks for all the well wishes. . .I am back. The PC gods were smiling on me as the offending water only hit the power supply. . . .Phew!!

expat
September 16th, 2021, 12:11
I can relate. As posted recently our house was recently flooded with about 5-6 inches of water in my PC. Blew out the PSU (replaced recently due to a power spike) and the SSD with the OS and other programs. You should be good to go fingers crossed with a replacement PSU. Best of luck Ed!

b24_witchcraft
September 16th, 2021, 18:00
Thanks for all the well wishes. . .I am back. The PC gods were smiling on me as the offending water only hit the power supply. . . .Phew!!

Glad that's all it was and you're back Ed. :applause:

Jafo
September 16th, 2021, 21:50

That's good news, Ed ...;)

My computer is parked on the desk beside the monitor...above the high-tide mark for spilled drinks...;)

falcon409
September 17th, 2021, 03:43
That's good news, Ed ...;)

My computer is parked on the desk beside the monitor...above the high-tide mark for spilled drinks...;)
lol, yep, I placed a strip on that side of my table now that says "No Drinks Here", lol

stansdds
September 17th, 2021, 03:56
Glad your computer is ok and it was just the PSU!

My computer used to be under my desk, but with this new computer, I put it on top of my desk, about a foot to the right of the monitor, and the printer/copier/scanner went under the desk, on a roll-out shelf.

fsafranek
September 17th, 2021, 18:44
Mine is sitting next to the desk with fans blowing upwards from the radiator at the top like tommieboy's rig. Not a day goes by that I don't worry about a drink going over the side and right into it.
I think I need to make some sort of plexiglass panel that sits on top and extends out a bit. I should take this as a reminder to do something.

Sorry about your woes but it could have been much worse.
:ernaehrung004:

tgycgijoes
September 18th, 2021, 08:06
We have been working so well together on KASH and right after that to happen. Prayed for you and your computer with our "Prayer Warriors" in church and this is an answered prayer. To God be the glory! Amen! :engel016:

glh
September 18th, 2021, 09:55
Put your computer on top of a milk crate(s) or similar so that the top is ABOVE the desk surface - and DON'T put any liquid containers on top of it.

tommieboy
September 18th, 2021, 10:53
....and DON'T put any liquid containers on top of it.

:biggrin-new:

Tommy