PDA

View Full Version : DC Designs F-14

PRB
August 15th, 2021, 17:56
Very much looking forward to the DC Designs F-14. There have been a couple of "pre-release" videos on U-Tube, and it looks great. Don't want to be a "picker of nits", but one those videos shows how the ship will look from the aircraft selection menu in the sim. We see that the paint depicting VF-84 is listed as "84th Fighter Squadron". This is US Air Force lingo. There is no such thing as the "84th Fighter Squadron" in the US Navy. That squadron is referred to as "VF-84" in the US Navy...

DaveKDEN
August 15th, 2021, 18:33
Very much looking forward to the DC Designs F-14. There have been a couple of "pre-release" videos on U-Tube, and it looks great. Don't want to be a "picker of nits", but one those videos shows how the ship will look from the aircraft selection menu in the sim. We see that the paint depicting VF-84 is listed as "84th Fighter Squadron". This is US Air Force lingo. There is no such thing as the "84th Fighter Squadron" in the US Navy. That squadron is referred to as "VF-84" in the US Navy...

Indeed! For the sake of accuracy, I hope this is corrected prior to release. I'm also a bit concerned that no weapons will be present if it's sold directly through the MSFS store... If so, better to buy directly through the DC Designs site.

ZsoltB
August 15th, 2021, 21:40
I can't wait to buy it!

:applause::ernaehrung004:

Thank you!
Zsolt

ZsoltB
August 15th, 2021, 21:42
From here:
https://www.justflight.com/product/dc-designs-f14-a-b-tomcat-microsoft-flight-simulator

mgr
August 15th, 2021, 21:55
Hi,

This is US Air Force lingo. There is no such thing as the "84th Fighter Squadron" in the US Navy. That squadron is referred to as "VF-84" in the US Navy...

The NAVY calls it squadrons: "Strike Fighter Squadron" so a lot like the airforce see :pirate::
https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/Press-Releases/display-pressreleases/Article/2237559/blacklions-fighter-squadron-changes-command/

Maybe wise to give a friendly pointer to Dean about this.

Regards,

Marcel

DC1973
August 16th, 2021, 07:00

I was interested in finding out the general lingo for this, but as posted above by another user, there seems to be considerable cross-over in how squadrons are referred to - VF-84, Strike Fighter Squadron 84, Fighting 84th etc. I went with a generalisation as VF-84 is already referred to as the aircraft "variation" and also the texture maps, so it's fairly clear already.

DC1973
August 16th, 2021, 07:02
I'm also a bit concerned that no weapons will be present if it's sold directly through the MSFS store... If so, better to buy directly through the DC Designs site.

There is no DC Designs website. Also, weapons are present just as they are on the F-15s - you select them via the payload manager, adding the assigned weight so that the weapons appear and the weight is added to the airframe. MSFS simply cannot have those weapons displayed on the marketplace, so you don't see them in the promotion images.

Mach3DS
August 16th, 2021, 09:09
IMO,

Dean, it's completely incorrect naming convention for USN fighter squadrons. Just my .02 cents here but seems like you should change it prior to release. It's only going to draw extra criticism and take away from the hard work you've put into this project. People focusing on something seemingly "silly" rather than the product. If people think you couldn't get the naming correct, why even look any further. Which is not great logic (But there's a lot of that on reddit), but you don't need that type of PR when you've put so much hard work into this. Wish you all the best with the release.

Priller
August 16th, 2021, 09:57
I'm just excited that the DC Designs FB page says that it will be released on the 19th!! :jump:

Priller

DC1973
August 17th, 2021, 07:25
IMO,

Dean, it's completely incorrect naming convention for USN fighter squadrons. Just my .02 cents here but seems like you should change it prior to release. It's only going to draw extra criticism and take away from the hard work you've put into this project. People focusing on something seemingly "silly" rather than the product. If people think you couldn't get the naming correct, why even look any further. Which is not great logic (But there's a lot of that on reddit), but you don't need that type of PR when you've put so much hard work into this. Wish you all the best with the release.

Dunnit, changed them to VF- codes :)

ZsoltB
August 17th, 2021, 07:28
https://kepkuldes.com/images/cc75baf31fe49b0e06264f6f2ebe6c0a.jpg

Priller
August 17th, 2021, 08:56
The manual is available!!

https://downloads.justflight.com/support/manuals/DCDesignsF14TomcatManual.pdf

Cheers,

Priller

Mach3DS
August 17th, 2021, 09:18
Yeah baby!!!!

Navy Chief
August 20th, 2021, 06:30
Any painters on SOH interested in doing a NATC Pax River paint for me? If so, I have pictures, buno, etc.... NC:wiggle:

jmfabio
August 21st, 2021, 05:33
Hi all,
I am really enjoying flying this Cat, however I have several questions. I have read the manual several times but I cannot figure out how to deploy the speed brake. I know I have read it or heard it in some review videos but cannot for the life of me can't remember. Also is it and the tailhook assignable to stick/throttle buttons?
Any help is greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Joe

DC1973
August 21st, 2021, 08:41
Hi all,
I am really enjoying flying this Cat, however I have several questions. I have read the manual several times but I cannot figure out how to deploy the speed brake. I know I have read it or heard it in some review videos but cannot for the life of me can't remember. Also is it and the tailhook assignable to stick/throttle buttons?
Any help is greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Joe

The speedbrake is a switch on the throttle. I assign a joystick button to spoilers toggle in the control menu and it works fine. The tailhook is an Lvar, a custom code for now, as the real tailhook variable in the sim doesn't work at this time, so for now you have to use the handle in the cockpit.

jmfabio
August 21st, 2021, 08:58
Thanks for answering Dean. I am definitely enjoying this gem. It really satisfies my need for speed.

Cheers,

Joe

Corvette99
August 21st, 2021, 11:27
I hope the painters are busy! So many great liveries for the ‘Cat

Navy Chief
August 22nd, 2021, 10:39
On Flightsim.to today:

VF-31

https://flightsim.to/file/19427/grumman-f-14-b-tomcat-vf-31-tomcatters

and yesterday:

VF-1 Maverick and Goose

DC Designs Grumman F-14A Tomcat Repaint - Top Gun TF-1 Ghostrider Maverick & Goose » Microsoft Flight Simulator (https://flightsim.to/file/19395/dc-designs-grumman-f-14a-tomcat-repaint-top-gun-tf-1-ghostrider-maverick-goose)

Navy Chief
August 22nd, 2021, 10:50

https://flightsim.to/file/19370/repaint-sundowners-vf-111-squadron-for-dc-design-grumman-f-14a-tomcat-miss-molly (https://flightsim.to/file/19370/repaint-sundowners-vf-111-squadron-for-dc-design-grumman-f-14a-tomcat-miss-molly)

Priller
August 22nd, 2021, 11:04
I'm soooooo hoping for a real lo viz F-14B to turn up. Something tactical, not those deadly colours!!

Sorry, that was my inner grunt...

Priller

Navy Chief
August 22nd, 2021, 11:17
I'm soooooo hoping for a real lo viz F-14B to turn up. Something tactical, not those deadly colours!!

Sorry, that was my inner grunt...

Priller

I understand the tactical reason for NAVAIR making the change to "craptical" grey colors, but from a maintainer point of view, cleaning the high gloss was a helluva lot easier! The grey paint is porous, and dirt is not as easy to remove. Plus, for me, I love the bright colors; especially the many different tailstrikes. The tactical grey is boring! To me, anyway! NC

Priller
August 22nd, 2021, 11:47
Tastes differ Pete!! ;)

Priller