PDA

View Full Version : Greg Pepper's Sikorski S-51

OBIO
March 4th, 2009, 21:06
Has anyone done a new air file for this whirlybird? I downloaded it from Simviation's FS2004 Helicopter section...but it won't get off the ground. And it has a FS2002 air file, which means it acts like a turbine powered helo instead of a radial engine powered helo. I have swapped in the air and config files from the Alpha Sim S-55 and done up a sound pack for the helo using Mike Hambly's sound pack for the Gee Bee Racer (Pratt and Whitney R-985), added the Switch panel from the AS S-55, replaced the Bell JetRanger gauges with the stock P-47 gauges to better fit the time period of the chopper.

If there isn't a better set of flight dynamics for the S-51, then those from the S-55 will suffice. In which case I can upload the modified panel config and sound pack.

OBIO

I have swapped the AS S-55 flight dynamics into the S-58/HSS-1 as well.

OBIO
March 5th, 2009, 15:42
Okay, I am going to assume that there is no updated flight dynamics set for Greg's S-51. So, I am going full speed ahead with my update of the chopper which will use the air and config files from the Alpha Sim S-55 (done), the switch gauge panel from the Alpha S-55 (done), a new sound pack (done), new skins (repaint template and first working skin nearly done). Have given the MDL some specular shine and going to go back into the MDL material and see if I can get rid of those funky yellow seats and oh so bright green interior when viewed from spot view.

OBIO

srgalahad
March 5th, 2009, 21:34
I'll take a copy when you're done :wavey: .. esp the paintkit. There were a lot of civilian versions that no one ever did

OBIO
March 5th, 2009, 22:12
I am starting over from square one with the paint template...was not real happy with the first one...This own is shaping up to be much nicer in terms of panel line alignment.

In trying to tone down the bright green in the cockpit when seen from spot view...I ran into a mystery. The interior viewed cockpit interior is not mapped to the texture sheets....so I went into the MDL to change the color of the material...and found that there was no green material at all. I did get the yellow seats redone in a nice brown in external view and a nice leather in VC view.

Using the air and config files from the Alpha Sim S-55 allows the S-51 to have a more realistic start up sequence. With the rotor clutch disengaged, when you fire up the motor, you hear the throaty rummmmp rummmmp of the Pratt and Whitney R-985 idling along. The chopper fiies very well, can be put into a nice stable hover. I was flying it along the length of the Tucoma Airport and the wheels were a near constant 1 foot off the ground...Alpha Sim did a remarkable job on the flight dynamics in the S-55 and it translates very well to the S-51...sure, top speed, range, weight and such are not accurate to the S-51 but I know that someone out there with more flight dynamics skills than I have can make the needed adjustments without totally botching the handling of this helo.

OBIO

OBIO
March 6th, 2009, 20:09
New paint template is done...and a lot better alignment on the panel lines. 3 new skins done, maybe 7 to 10 more to go...lost track of the number of profiles/pictures I grabbed from the internet. US Navy, USMC, US Army, USCG, RAAF, RCAF, Royal Navy, Czeckoslovakia will all be represented with at least one skin. Can't remember what others I have that I found interesting enough to do.

OBIO

OBIO
March 6th, 2009, 20:28
Some screen shots of the progress. The Coast Guard paint is a melding of a few pics I found on the net....each has something interesting about it, but all in all were boring....so I took the best from a few images, smooshed them together into what I think is a much more interesting helo. The RAAF helo should be bare metal, but since this bird does not have reflective textures, I gave it an overall grayish paint with just a hint of blue to give the impression that it is reflecting the sky.

OBIO

CG_1976
March 6th, 2009, 20:48
Nice Coastie helo paint.:woot:

OBIO
March 6th, 2009, 21:34
Keep in mind that the Coastie paint is like Playboy boobs...fake as all get out but very nice to look at!

OBIO

CG_1976
March 6th, 2009, 21:47
Any AC, HC, or Ship dressed in any World Coastie colors and markings is fine for me. My hangers and docks are ready to accept.

aeromed202
March 7th, 2009, 15:41
Looks fabulous!! Loved that bird in Bridges of Toko Ri, top hat, scarf and all.

'When are you gonna learn you can say anything you want to an officer, as long as you put sir at the end of it.'

Richard Westcott
March 8th, 2009, 03:32
Nice, is this going to be uploaded when you have finished?

OBIO
March 8th, 2009, 10:50
Yep, once completed and tested to the nth degree, this package will be uploaded here.

OBIO

michael davies
March 8th, 2009, 22:17
The chopper fiies very well, can be put into a nice stable hover. I was flying it along the length of the Tucoma Airport and the wheels were a near constant 1 foot off the ground...Alpha Sim did a remarkable job on the flight dynamics in the S-55 and it translates very well to the S-51...sure, top speed, range, weight and such are not accurate to the S-51 but I know that someone out there with more flight dynamics skills than I have can make the needed adjustments without totally botching the handling of this helo.

OBIO

Give me a shout just before release and I'll look over the FDE for you, I did the original AS S-55 so know my way round it pretty good, I can bend it to suit the smaller and lighter S-51 for you.

Best

Michael

OBIO
March 8th, 2009, 23:22
Michael

Thank you so very much for stepping up on the FDE. That will make this package a real tribute to Greg Pepper, a man who gave so much to the Flight Sim community. RIP, Greg!

OBIO

Crusader
March 9th, 2009, 03:28
Michael

Thank you so very much for stepping up on the FDE. That will make this package a real tribute to Greg Pepper, a man who gave so much to the Flight Sim community. RIP, Greg!

OBIO

Thanks to both of you gentlemen . Gregg Pepper has always been one of my favorites. (especially fond of his HU-16 Albatross). This indeed will be a great tribute . Looking forward to this bird .

Rich

michael davies
March 10th, 2009, 07:44
Michael

OBIO

Your welcome, please PM when your nearly ready, I dont get to watch the forums as much as I used to :), say a couple of days before incase I'm on shift block.

Kindest

Michael

Morras
April 7th, 2009, 01:53
OBIO (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/member.php?u=34037) , I am really looking forward to this one, maybe pop out some SAAF repaints of it also:wavey: We have one very very well preserved one at the SAAF Museum in Pretoria at Airforcebase Swartkop in the last colours she wore, I work there on weekends and help to restore planes there in my free time, will post some pics on the aircraft we are working on now!:ernae: