PDA

View Full Version : New (returner) to DCS World

Priller
July 10th, 2021, 05:18
I used to have DCS World v2.5 and now that I have the rig to probably run it decently, I decided to give it a try again.

A lot must have changed in the meantime, so I was wondering what the latest freeware mods are before starting to splash the cash.

I've found the T-45, the Hornet, the Hercules and am wondering if there are improvements available to textures, terrains and so forth. Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

Priller

Priller
July 10th, 2021, 05:20
Mods, sorry, posted in the wrong place, can you move this to the right board please? Sorry about that!

Priller

jmig
July 10th, 2021, 06:06
There is also a F-22 mod out there and a Tucano.

Clouds are nicer in 2.7. Scenery is still not MSFS levels, but who is. There is a new Guam scenery that comes with the latest 2.7 upgrade, but I haven't flown it yet. The Super Carrier (payware) is fantastic, especially with the T-45. I haven't purchased the Hornet, so I can say anything about it.

YoYo
July 10th, 2021, 06:39
Or take a Hind (payware), very good module released 2 weeks ago :snowman: !

cavaricooper
July 10th, 2021, 07:24
Another vote for dragging an 18 'round the boat. Glorious in sunshine, and a seat sucking endeavor in weather. Top notch immersion and a vacation from the salt mines.

C

Tom Clayton
July 10th, 2021, 07:59
Moved as requested - cheers!

rvn817j
July 10th, 2021, 09:39
I second (or is it 3rd) flying the F/A-18C around the (Super)carrier. Buy them while they're still on sale at DCS. Go to F/A-18C "missions" and Case 1, 2 and 3 carrier approaches are available for most (if not all) maps (except Nevada...land locked). Practice, practice, practice.

Also pick the BFM and missile engagement missions. Nothing more satisfying than wasting an adversary or 2 (or die trying).

If you are a masochist, you can try the in-flight refueling mission. I can't seem to get it, so I always carry a lot of fuel or plan to eject!

Over the years I picked up a bunch of the DCS modules, but I find I'm always coming back to the F/A-18C because it is polished and loaded with "stuff"!

It's ALL fun.

Priller
July 10th, 2021, 10:15
Moved as requested - cheers!

Thanks Tom!

And thanks y'all for your comments!

Priller

Priller
July 10th, 2021, 10:16
One more question: where do I put the repaints?

Cheers,

Priller

Priller
July 10th, 2021, 12:04
Strange, just fired up the sim and it's downloading FC3 and Nevada!

Priller

Victory103
July 12th, 2021, 12:15
I'd also agree with RV Jay on the Hornet. I"m a diehard F-14 fan and flew the 18 up until the Cat released. I'm also in a Viper group and it is frustrating to see the updates flow to the Hornet while limited steps happen on the F-16. As far as being to do most missions, the F-18 would probably give you the most enjoyment even if you stay on the beach (but get the SC, the boat is awesome!).

Most of your repaints (liveries) will go in the Saved Games folder, then DCS.open beta. Should be a liveries folder and put the repaint in the aircraft folder.

your drive:\Users\Your name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\liveries\FA-18C_hornet

Priller
July 13th, 2021, 12:58
It's a steep learning curve... Shot down by a stinking MiG-23 when flying an Eagle...

https://i.postimg.cc/FFqHX9mY/Shot.jpg

Priller

jmig
July 14th, 2021, 04:57
It's a steep learning curve... Shot down by a stinking MiG-23 when flying an Eagle...

https://i.postimg.cc/FFqHX9mY/Shot.jpg

Priller

Yes, but look at those flames. What a cool way to die. :) The Germans are very sneaky in the WWII maps. The damage modeling in DCS is wayyy better than TacPac ever offered.

Priller
July 14th, 2021, 05:23
The damage modelling is better than what I've seen in any combat sim!

Priller

scotth6
July 16th, 2021, 23:30
I used to have DCS World v2.5 and now that I have the rig to probably run it decently, I decided to give it a try again.

A lot must have changed in the meantime, so I was wondering what the latest freeware mods are before starting to splash the cash.

I've found the T-45, the Hornet, the Hercules and am wondering if there are improvements available to textures, terrains and so forth. Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

Priller

Hey Priller,

Not sure if I missed a mention of it up above, but DCS has also implemented a permanent "free to play" system, which was first introduced in 2020 during the start of covid lockdowns. You can try out any or all modules for two weeks, and then once the two weeks is up, yo uneed to wait six months before you could try that module again. It is completely free, and technically you could use the F/A-18 free for two weeks, then F-16 free for two weeks, then A-10C free for two weeks etc etc. It also includes terrains, but not campaigns. I would personally recommend just getting one aircraft at a time, so you could then concentrate on that aircrat for the two weeks. A great way to check out what is available before buying anything, and there is no obligation to buy anything. The great thing about the paid modules in DCS, you could literally buy one aircraft module, if it's a good one and an aircraft you enjoy, and then just fly that aircaft for the next three years, and not be bored of it. There is so much detail and so much to learn, My faves are the A-10C, F/A-18C, and the F-16.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/newsletters/newsletter11062021-n595s30u3z2zyrqym8mnthon74pw7w5q.html

Cheers,