PDA

View Full Version : Curtiss Robin Legacy Conversion

Spad54
June 25th, 2021, 11:22
A fan of our work developed a legacy conversion of our Robin with permission. He did a very credible job. Fun to fly and easy to land. Here is a link to his work. He has our thanks for bringing this to the platform.

https://cdn.flightsim.to/images/15/5SWroVk9.png?width=1400&auto_optimize=medium

https://flightsim.to/file/16922/curtiss-j1-robin (https://flightsim.to/file/16922/curtiss-j1-robin)

Dangerous Beans
July 30th, 2021, 14:08
Sim update 5 even after the hotfix has broken this one for me, I can load a flight but it CTD's after a few seconds :(

keithb77
July 30th, 2021, 23:58
Pretty much all legacy conversions are now broken.
I believe you could get them to work by using ModelconverterX to remove all mouse interactions in the cockpit, not tried yet.

YoYo
July 31st, 2021, 00:23
Perhaps the new MSFS with SU5 doesnt accept ports, just native models? In some ways it would have some advantages like no CTD and better smoothness?

Dangerous Beans
July 31st, 2021, 00:59
This one isn't a straight portover its a native model done with GAS's permission.

K5083
July 31st, 2021, 03:23
I am working on a hypothesis to try to repair the legacy planes.

I understand that SU5 removed many legacy FSX variables from the sim. My hypothesis is that legacy planes crash when they call one of those dead variables to render something, like a gauge needle position, in the cockpit. Sometimes that happens right away, sometimes not, which is why some legacy planes take longer than others to CTD.

If we could get a list of the variables that were removed, we could check the MDLs for them and change or remove the dependencies on those variables. Might render some gauges/functions inop, but at least we'd have our planes.

Anyone know if MS/Asobo provided developers with such a list, and where we could find it?

August

Dangerous Beans
August 1st, 2021, 09:43
I've been digging into this one to see if I could fix it myself and am now 99% sure I know what's wrong with it.

Basically it's not a conversion, it's just a portover the same as any of us could do for ourselves with the legacy importer.

I does have gltf, bin and xml files in the model folder giving the impression that it's a "conversion" but it also has the original mdl's too and thats what its using.
The gltf "conversion" is very basic with no animations the same as running them through the dev version of MCX would produce and their not being used buy the Sim, the mdl's are.

Also the mdl's haven't had the click spots removed and that's what is causing the CTD's
I tried removing the click spots in MCX and no more CTD's well at least until I tried switching to VR and bam CTD as expected.

The old workaround of forcing the Sim to use one model for both exterior and VC no longer works so it's not a lot of use to me as I only fly in VR.

We saw a lot of this when FSX was originally released, suddenly lots of FS9 "conversions" started to appear but they were just portovers.

This is not in any way Gas's fault but the guy that released this as a "conversion" should have billed it as what it is, a portover.

LostPilot
August 1st, 2021, 18:08
the guy that released this as a "conversion" should have billed it as what it is, a portover.

Unfortunately I think a lot of folks think they are the same thing. A good indicator that this one was a port is in the description:
Credits: MSFS Legacy Importer by Alex Marko.