PDA

View Full Version : Searching Sim outhouse add-ons

Richard Westcott
March 4th, 2009, 02:10
Is it possible to perform a search within the sim-outhouse database, can't seem to figure it out, the past few times I have gone through the database page by page!

Thanks

OBIO
March 4th, 2009, 03:09
There are ways to use the search function and find what you want...but the ways are like ancient martial arts...only known by those who live on the top of a cold mountain, eat nothing but Yak butter, and listen to their toe nails grow for 10 years. On the internet, I can find almost anything that I want to find...but when using the SOH search feature I can't find a dang thing.

I wish I could help you at this time, but I have to begin climbing a cold mountain, learn to like the taste of Yak butter and hearken to the sound of my toe nails growing. I should have an answer for you in a decade or so.

OBIO

OleBoy
March 4th, 2009, 05:18
Not laughing at you Richard. But the way OBIO explained the use of the search function, is.......similar to the answer I got when I asked the same the the other day after I spent an hour and a half trying to figure it out.

OBIOs methodology pretty much sums it up:173go1:

pointy31
March 4th, 2009, 06:05
I go to Google, search "sim-outhouse + whatever I'm looking for"....:ernae:

brad kaste
March 4th, 2009, 06:06
Is it possible to perform a search within the sim-outhouse database, can't seem to figure it out, the past few times I have gone through the database page by page!

Thanks
Richard,....try not to figure out the ways and whys of the SOH database. You'll only frustrate yourself. It's not intuitive. You need to get Zen like in your approach to finding something,....while slurping up some Yak butter.

magoo
March 4th, 2009, 06:40
....Yak butter's good on toast.

Warhawk1130
March 4th, 2009, 07:05
There are ways to use the search function and find what you want...but the ways are like ancient martial arts...only known by those who live on the top of a cold mountain, eat nothing but Yak butter, and listen to their toe nails grow for 10 years. On the internet, I can find almost anything that I want to find...but when using the SOH search feature I can't find a dang thing.

I wish I could help you at this time, but I have to begin climbing a cold mountain, learn to like the taste of Yak butter and hearken to the sound of my toe nails growing. I should have an answer for you in a decade or so.

OBIO

LMAO! :amen:

whitehawk_2009
March 4th, 2009, 08:19
Someone, I think Ickie, has said it would cost thousands of dollars to upgrade to a google-type search engine. Now, I don't know if it is a monthly fee or just a one time upgrade.

Also, If you ask for what you're looking for somebody usually has an idea of who to look under.

WH

Richard Westcott
March 4th, 2009, 09:38
Thanks for the replies, I thought I was missing something really obvious, I am glad it is not just me.

I have been finding most things through google but it does sometimes throw up a lot of rubbish......all part of the fun I guess.

Thanks again.

Terry
March 4th, 2009, 10:01
Searching by authors name gives good results assuming you know who made what. If one of the staff would make and upload an Excel file showing major authors/uploaders down the side and addon catagories along the top and place an X in applicable box(s) coordinates searching would be a little easier.

Buddha13
March 4th, 2009, 10:47
Hi all,
Can I have my Yak butter on toast and a pair off nail clippers please.Coming of the mountain now.
Really I have never had a problem finding anything.
If you go to the bottom of the uploads pages you will see 4 drop down boxes in the seach box.They will take you to the area you want.Always found looking by author the easist.Plus under that there is 2 slots to write down the file you want.AND THEN under that is a google search section which if you look can be configured to just search the Outhouse.
Simples.

Buddha13

MaddogK
March 4th, 2009, 11:00
I go to Google, search "sim-outhouse + whatever I'm looking for"....:ernae:

Heh, you just gave away the 'state secret', unless one knows the authors name or the file name.

Google is the SOH'ers best friend.

TARPSBird
March 4th, 2009, 11:16
"Google is your friend." :d The box is at the bottom of the downloads page (see below) and on thread pages too. You'll get forum posts along with your d/l files but that's about as good as it gets here.
PS: No Yaks - animal or aircraft - were harmed in the production of this post.

planejunky
March 4th, 2009, 15:28
I guess that's why I occasionally ask "does any one know of a .......?" Much easier than trying to find anything here. With so many great files now hosted here, wouldn't a "flightsim.com" style search feature be a really useful tool?

OBIO
March 4th, 2009, 15:31
I guess that's why I occasionally ask "does any one know of a .......?" Much easier than trying to find anything here. With so many great files now hosted here, wouldn't a "flightsim.com" style search feature be a really useful tool?

Would be cool...but that feature is PRICEY and takes a lot of maintenance to keep it working properly from what I have gathered. Maintaining a stable index of uploaded files will take a good bit of work in and of itself.

OBIO

Kofschip
March 4th, 2009, 16:48
I just go into the files and start looking. There are all kinds of wonderfull treasures available there that are always bypassed by a search engine. Every time I go into the download files it is like a new treasure hunt.:wave: