PDA

View Full Version : S-55 Sound Pack Update

OBIO
March 3rd, 2009, 20:11
Sorry for starting a new thread on this...but wanted to make sure that those who have already downloaded the S-55 sound pack see this and get this update.

NEW ROTOR SOUNDS! BEEFY, CHOPPY, EAR DRUM BUSTIN rotor sounds.

I found another free wav editor that allowed me to do some reverb, mixing, overlays, and the result is pure music!

Going to upload the update pack now.

OBIO

Curtis P40
March 4th, 2009, 08:55
:wavey: Now that's Thump'em, Thank you sir.
Curt

PeteHam
March 4th, 2009, 11:18
OBIO .... your first sounds were good.

These are great :jump::applause:

Thanks for your hard work.
:ernae:

Pete.

srgalahad
March 4th, 2009, 12:54
Sounds good.. and should fit the S-58 quite well too!

Rob

Wild Bill Kelso
March 4th, 2009, 13:15
Thanks, OBIO!
Very juicy sounds indeed.

Those notoriously instable non-fixed wing aircraft are still not my preferred way of messing around with thrust, drag, lift and gravity. But your sound set puts a lot of fun into it!

Great to listen to the 1340 grumbling from the lower deck.

Silly question to the chopper jocks:
The engine's RPM is supposed to be set at 2.700 all the way?

Roger
March 4th, 2009, 13:41
Well done Obio! I'm using them in the FsX version of the S-55 and they sound great:ernae:
Many thanks,

Roger.

OBIO
March 4th, 2009, 14:42
Sounds good.. and should fit the S-58 quite well too!

Rob

I have done a set specifically for the S-58 with the Wright R-1820, which will utilize the motor sounds from Lawdog's Brewster F2A sound pack. Sound great...unfortunately, the S-58 I have has an air file that mimics a gas turbine engine or something, because it takes for ever for the motor to start and the start up sound for the 1820 is heard at the very end of the start up cycle.

OBIO

fnkybnch
March 4th, 2009, 17:39
Thanks, OBIO!:applause:

This is SO MUCH BETTER than the wimpy R22 sounds!

srgalahad
March 4th, 2009, 20:14
Silly question to the chopper jocks:
The engine's RPM is supposed to be set at 2.700 all the way?

No silly questions...
Simplified, yes... the motor runs at constant RPM during flight. Start the motor, bring it up to a certain speed, engage the clutch which gets the rotor spinning, then run rpm up to the optimum setting.. lift is then controlled by varying the 'pitch' of the main rotor(s) (collective) and converted to motion by varying the angle of advancing/retreating blade pitch or rotor angle (Cyclic) - simple, huh?. On most helicopters the drive includes a governor to maintain a narrow range of RPM. On others you use throttle more but in a fine-tune way. On top of this the rudder pedals control tail-rotor torque by changing the TR blade pitch.

All in all why a helicopter pilot is a one-armed paper hanger juggling chainsaws during a blizzard while wearing a blindfold.

FS heli controls are a bit of a compromise to fit the software/hardware although some daring adventurers have made homebrew heli sticks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_flight_controls
http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/rotary/helis.htm
http://www.thaitechnics.com/helicopter/heli_control.html

IMHO, most FS9 helis are poor compromises and not very sophisticated. A few have been designed well, and the S-55 is a pretty nice and stable example. By comparison, the Robbie is like a minnow going over Naigara.

Rob

Wild Bill Kelso
March 5th, 2009, 07:29
Thanks a lot, Rob, for this brief 'rotary wings for dummies'! :kiss:

I must confess that I mainly use helicopters to explore newly installed sceneries. My workhorse for this duty up to now was this nice Bell 47 (in a custom M*A*S*H livery).
Main problem for me was that the higher detailed models, such as the Hovercontrol's amazing Bell 412 or UKMIL's CH-47 'Wocka', were too sophisticated to be handled satisfactorily with my Saitek X-52 setup without pedals and the general fs9 realism settings at 'hard' for the fixed wings. I know that the latter problem can be solved by using a customized fs9.cfg for helis, but as I stated above, there was no need for me to run this 'dual' mode.

The thing I very like about the S-55 is the combination of the sweet exterial model and the not-too-hard flight dynamics that do not force me to fiddle around with the basic fs9 settings.

Concerning the RPM settings, I simply was unsure if the Wasp which is to be ran at 2.000 to 2.200 RPM, cruising in Texans and Otters, turned at this high rate in the Chickasaw.
I presume it was because of the higher torque the engine had to deliver in a heli?

ST0RM
August 26th, 2012, 10:29
Sorry to bump an old thread, but where is the original base file? I've searched SOH, but only the update is here.

Can someone please repost?

Thanks!
Jeff

ST0RM
August 26th, 2012, 10:59
Disregard. Found it in the archives.

Thanks!
Jeff

SSI01
August 26th, 2012, 18:32
Storm - I've found the update, and I've been through the archives but can't figure out what keywords etc to put in search categories to find the basic file. Where is it?

SSI01
August 27th, 2012, 18:58
I've checked "S-55," "Sikorsky," "OBIO," "ALPHA" all under FS2004 aircraft and sound add-ons in the Archives, but to no avail.

OBIO
August 27th, 2012, 21:05
To make things easier for all future users of this sound pack, I will upload a complete package with the update installed. Give me a few minutes and it will be on its way to the library.

OBIO

OBIO
August 29th, 2012, 08:59
Have tried 3 times to upload the S-55 sound pack.....either I am doing something wrong or the upload procedures have changed. Have contacted upper level staff about this issue.....hopefully I can get the pack uploaded in the next day or two.

Tim

SSI01
August 29th, 2012, 19:18
Thanks OBIO, will be checking until I see it!:salute:

Blackbird686
August 31st, 2012, 15:11
Me too... I downloaded the S-55 and I have some really nice paints on her. I am still using the original S-55 soundpack for it tho :kilroy:.

BB686:USA-flag:

SSI01
September 10th, 2012, 16:08
:bump:Bumping the thread a little to see what progress, if any, has been made in getting the original sound pack uploaded.:icon_eek:

OBIO
September 12th, 2012, 06:50
I am having problems on my end with uploading to the library......something is screwy in my system...time for a full format and rebuild to clean things up and get the system back to 100%. I will upload the package to my YouSendIt account and post a link for downloading in this thread.......will get that done tonight after work.

Tim